Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding for fourteen years and have owned everything under the sun except a Harley. So I broke down this weekend and purchased a 2002 V-Rod.

The previous owner put a set of Vance and Hines pipes on it (unsure of the exact model) and I assumed he had some kind of fuel programmer on it but, after getting it home and taking it apart this weekend I didn't find one anywhere.

My question is will these run aftermarket exhaust with no programmer without damaging the engine? It seems to run fine and I didn't notice any problems. And if it will would I be pushing my luck to remove the baffles? I know it wouldn't be great for performance but I just like them loud as I can get them but, I don't want to damage the engine either.

BTW if anyone has a good deal on a programmer I will be buying one shortly but I really hate the have that discussion with my wife four days after buying the bike.

I usually do much better getting info from forums like this as opposed to calling the dealer.

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
394 Posts
He may have used the HD computer (sorry I can't remember the name of it). That would overwrite the factory software and compensate for the flow. They marry to the VIN so there's no way for you to change any settings. Before adding a Power Programmer or similar device you should verify that the ECM is stock.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
If he was running The VH with baffles... he probably had the stage 1 HD flash on the ecm, which would not require anything else. The old style VH are the same basically as the old 16 gauge SE pipes, which the stage one flash was designed for. Any HD dealer can hook it up to their scanalizer and tell you if it has been flashed. So your probably just fine. Btw Welcome! Donald

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
:them::them::them:

Big Dog:

Unfortunately you will need to have a SERT to read your ECM if you do it yourself. It will tell you what load is in your ECM.

Perhaps a dealer will look at the ECM with their tool and tell you for a cheap price. It takes only a few minutes.

Regards

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
You should be able to put your bike into Diagnostic mode on your own thru your odometer to see if it has a download installed.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
As far as removing the baffles, with the stage one flash, it shouldn't be a problem (will make it run lean) but it would be safer to add a fueler to it.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
How is that done?
It's not!!!

Please be very careful with your next steps.

These motors need back pressure to run good. Modifying the V&H baffles you have is a very good solution. Contact Steve at V-Mod,com.

You also need a good air cleaner and in my experience the K&N is the best.

If you don't do any more motor enhancements, the ECM tune you have will work very well. So save your money on a Super SERT or Power Commander for now.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
It's not!!!

These motors need back pressure to run good. Modifying the V&H baffles you have is a very good solution. Contact Steve at V-Mod,com.

If you don't do any more motor enhancements, the ECM tune you have will work very well. So save your money on a Super SERT or Power Commander for now.
I believe the Vance and Hinds had removeable baffles where as the 16gauge SE's did not.... no need to send to VMod

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
It's not!!!

Please explain to me how you cannot use your instrement cluster to check and see if your bike has a download? That is exactly how you do it. I am not telling him to not run a download or some form a fuel management, all I am saying is he should be able to find out if his bike has one already installed.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Try this, found it in another thread, should tell you what if any part numbers for an HD download are installed.

The dia9 confused me. It is really "diag", so try this:

While holding the instrument module trip switch in, turn the ignition switch to IGN. In you case we already know "diag" will appear.

"P" flashing: to display the DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes) for the ECM, press and hold reset switch for more than 5 seconds.

To choose TSM/TSSM, press and release reset switch.
"S" flashing: to display the DTCs for the TSM/TSSM, press and hold the reset switch for more than 5 seconds.

To choose IM, press and release reset switch.
"C" flashing: to display DTCs for IM, press and hold reset switch for more than 5 seconds.

To choose ECM, press and release reset switch.

REPORT BACK ON WHICH DIAGNOSTIC CODES YOUR BIKE EXHIBITED.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Please explain to me how you cannot use your instrement cluster to check and see if your bike has a download? That is exactly how you do it. I am not telling him to not run a download or some form a fuel management, all I am saying is he should be able to find out if his bike has one already installed.
He may be able to see an official Harley download but if there is any other change to the ECM then.....

What you are looking for is the download number which will match with a map on the Harley Super SERT database which is updated continuously. It will also identify what the map was intended to be used for i/e larger throttle bodies bigger injecters different than stock pipes..etc.

The dealer has a harley Tech II that will turn it up as well. If he bought the bike from a dealer I would think that they would do it for free with an eye for future additional business.

The dealer also has a Harley based Super SERT with access to much more technician stuff. One of the neat things to do that I always did for the bikes I sold was to get a printout of the ECM, including all fault/trouble codes that were hope not there and the ECM serial number and map number.

It basically is the equivelant of a motorcycle MRI for the new owner.

BTW:I hope you don't think we're are arguing our positions on this issue because I am not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Try this, found it in another thread, should tell you what if any part numbers for an HD download are installed.

The dia9 confused me. It is really "diag", so try this:

While holding the instrument module trip switch in, turn the ignition switch to IGN. In you case we already know "diag" will appear.

"P" flashing: to display the DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes) for the ECM, press and hold reset switch for more than 5 seconds.

To choose TSM/TSSM, press and release reset switch.
"S" flashing: to display the DTCs for the TSM/TSSM, press and hold the reset switch for more than 5 seconds.

To choose IM, press and release reset switch.
"C" flashing: to display DTCs for IM, press and hold reset switch for more than 5 seconds.

To choose ECM, press and release reset switch.

REPORT BACK ON WHICH DIAGNOSTIC CODES YOUR BIKE EXHIBITED.

All three P,S, and C showed none. I called my local HD shop which is pretty much worthless unless you want to buy a $600 jacket to see if they could do a Harley flash to it and they said no they could not. They said once I get a power commander and install it myself they would do a $320 dyno run to see if it's setup right (how nice).

Am I right in assuming if it showed none it does not have a flash?

BTW thanks for the help. Forums like this are priceless to get info.:notworth:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
All three P,S, and C showed none. I called my local HD shop which is pretty much worthless unless you want to buy a $600 jacket to see if they could do a Harley flash to it and they said no they could not. They said once I get a power commander and install it myself they would do a $320 dyno run to see if it's setup right (how nice).

Am I right in assuming if it showed none it does not have a flash?

BTW thanks for the help. Forums like this are priceless to get info.:notworth:

That is what I was trying to convey. The switch process will show diagnostic codes but not what we are looking for which is what map number is loaded on top of your stock ECM map.

If you get a chance go to the dealer and ask the service manager to do a print out on the codes and the map stored in the ECM. At the most this should cost 1 hoour of labor. Then we can determine what needs to happen next based on your performance objectives.

Regards

Jerry

Jerry

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
That is what I was trying to convey. The switch process will show diagnostic codes but not what we are looking for which is what map number is loaded on top of your stock ECM map.

If you get a chance go to the dealer and ask the service manager to do a print out on the codes and the map stored in the ECM. At the most this should cost 1 hoour of labor. Then we can determine what needs to happen next based on your performance objectives.

Regards

Jerry

Jerry
Jerry is correct, one thing I might add. You can no longer purchase the stage 1 flash from HD. But they can check to see if you have the original stage 1 for 1/2 hour labor. My dealer quoted me that rate which was 40 bucks. Donald

1 - 17 of 17 Posts