Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Was hoping for any assistance from all you knowledgeable folks. Bought a 2002 with only 833 miles on it. Upon looking at it bike didn't start. Original owner changed gas out saying it was "bad" gas. After the change the bike worked fine for 2 days and has a brand new battery installed. Now the bike won't start. Lights come on ...Any suggestions on what to start checking would be greatly appreciated as I am a bike newbie.

From what I have read it could be the relay or the solenoid. Just wondering if it could be anything else. I believe the bike hasn't been riden much with only 833 miles.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Hello all. Was hoping for any assistance from all you knowledgeable folks. Bought a 2002 with only 833 miles on it. Upon looking at it bike didn't start. Original owner changed gas out saying it was "bad" gas. After the change the bike worked fine for 2 days and has a brand new battery installed. Now the bike won't start. Lights come on ...Any suggestions on what to start checking would be greatly appreciated as I am a bike newbie.

From what I have read it could be the relay or the solenoid. Just wondering if it could be anything else. I believe the bike hasn't been riden much with only 833 miles.
I'll need a little more diagnostic info than "bike won't start".

One thing to do would be to read the trouble codes. This post explains how to read and clear codes for the early models. (Write the codes down as you read them and then clear these when you're finished reading.)

The battery should also be checked. New or old, a discharged battery won't be able to start the bike or even power the bikes critical modules:
ECM = electronic control module,
IM = instrument module, and
TSM or TSSM = turn signal module (no security) or turn signal/security module​
A fully charged battery voltage will be ≥ 12.7 V.

Also, most domestic 2002 VRSCA bikes had a TSSM. Does your model have this? If so, is the system disarmed?

It would also help to know where you're located and what specific 2002 VRSCA bike you have. The V.I.N. will provide the need info.

If the 1st digit in the V.I.N. is "1", it's a US model (if it's "5" it was originally sold outside the US).

The other important V.I.N. digits are the 7th and 8th digits. If the 7th digit is "Z" you have an 1130 cc domestic engine (if this digit is "A" you have a reduced HP European engine). If the 8th digit is "1" your bike was a "regular" production model (if this digit is "3" your bike was originally sold in California).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stever975

Thanks for the quick response. According to the Vin it is a US model "1" 7th digit is a "z" so it is a 1130 domestic engine and it is a 1 for a "regular" production model.

I wasnt able to check the reading codes at first since the instrument cluster did not have enough power. A multimeter check showed I was only getting 9 volts. I jump started the bike and everything powered up fine now. I also ran the codes again
P= none
S=61121, 01255
C=none

Im taking the bike for a ride to keep the battery charged and wil see if it drains again within a day or two like last time.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Stever975

Thanks for the quick response. According to the Vin it is a US model "1" 7th digit is a "z" so it is a 1130 domestic engine and it is a 1 for a "regular" production model.

I wasnt able to check the reading codes at first since the instrument cluster did not have enough power. A multimeter check showed I was only getting 9 volts. I jump started the bike and everything powered up fine now. I also ran the codes again
P= none
S=61121, 01255
C=none

Im taking the bike for a ride to keep the battery charged and wil see if it drains again within a day or two like last time.
A battery drained to 9 volts isn't good. You might be needing to replace that since draining to that level tends to damage or reduce the battery lifetime.

The codes you show are likely miss read. DTCs are always one letter followed by four numbers. The 61121 is more likely a B1121 = left turn output fault and the 01255 is more likely B1255 = left turn signal short to voltage. These may be historic. That's why you should clear codes and see if any return. If these return, it's likely due to bad wiring allowing a short to 12 volts on a violet wire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts