Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Rocket Ron
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Think I may have screwed up after refitting the engine. My whole rear set up sits too far to the right and the problem seems to be down to having put the long swingarm pivot shaft spacer on the right side instead of the left.
Can anyone out there clear up whether this is correct - the longest spacer should go on the left (drive), side, and the shorter one on the right.
If so, and I suspect this is the case, then I guess I had better drop the motor again and switch em over eh :eek:(

Many thanks

Ron

·
Rocket Ron
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow that was a quick reply.
You have saved me a lot of work mate, many thanks. Guess I should have checked before puttin the motor back in eh. Oh well, best I drop it again, but hopefully dont have to move it too far this time to swap the spacers.
Many thanks again

Regards
Ron

·
Premium Member
11,366 Posts
You shouldn't have to drop the motor to do this. Just support the motor with a jack and slide the swing arm pivot shaft out, after removing the tire, then resolve the spacer issue.

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Not sure why you would have to drop the engine just put it on a motorcycle jack and raise it up, pull the back tire off if not already and then pull the bolt and switch.

·
Rocket Ron
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys
Didnt sleep last night cos had this very idea running thru my head......all night. Will still need to pull the engine to the right a bit to get the left spacer clear but you are correct, the engine doesnt need dropping.
Thanks a lot, I'll keep you informed of the progress.

regards
Ron

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
You shouldn't have to drop the motor to do this. Just support the motor with a jack and slide the swing arm pivot shaft out, after removing the tire, then resolve the spacer issue.
Not sure why you would have to drop the engine just put it on a motorcycle jack and raise it up, pull the back tire off if not already and then pull the bolt and switch.
The engine needs to drop quite a ways to remove the left spacer.

The 2002 version left side spacer has to be removed from the motor mount by sliding towards the frame center-line and the engine case is in the way.

·
Rocket Ron
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, all done now.
Just undid all mounts, front rails and moved the motor to the right and swapped em over. The back end lines up perfect now and the chain conversion sits perfect too.....and looks awesome. Will post phots soon.

Regards Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts