Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Ozbox1
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, thank you everyone for all your posts regarding the known fuel gauge issue with the early VROD’s, in particular their ability to indicate less fuel than indicated by up to half a tank. I’m sure every early VROD rider resets the odometer every time they fill up the fuel tank to counter this issue, and like me stops every 100 miles to refill the tank and stretch the legs.
To combat this problem I have cleaned the resistance strip and float contacts about 5 times over the past 5 years and even inverted the float mechanism, but the gauge always read incorrectly.
I approached HD Perth to buy another resistance sender unit or complete fuel module assembly and have been told HD cannot help as the part is not manufactured anymore and HD cannot recommend any solutions to fix the problem. E bay wants $800 AUD for a second hand fuel module assembly, so I decided it was time to put on my engineering hat and have a crack and fix the problem.
Below is my attempt to fix the solution for around $50 AUD and around an hour’s work. I installed my unit on 30 Oct 2019, and so far after 3 test rides near Perth Western Australia I have not had an issue.
At 103.1 Miles when the gauge was close to the E mark, the tank took 10.39L in the standard 12L tank, so I had roughly 1.6 Litres left Cheers Bernie.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,005 Posts
Thanks! This is very useful. :thumb:

·
VRSC est -03
3,094 Posts
Helluva #1 post :notworth:
Welcome to 1130cc!

Mods: Please move this thread to How To Section...

·
Registered
156 Posts
So, sorry, but I'm missing something here.

I can see the brass fuel connections installed. Is this the key to resolving the issue ? Are the stock connections on the flange the cause of the faulty fuel gauge?

Is the entire upper flange complete garbage ? Where should others target when addressing the same issue?

I used to have the same issue on my 04 but cleaned the resistance slider and ran 1 can of sea foam through and the problem has not happened again in the last 2 years.

I've had other problems in that area though with lousy leaky fuel line connections through the flange.

All I know is that :
'ITS NOT HARLEYS FAULT' for all these issues because Harley personally told me so.

My enquiring mind is dying to know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So, sorry, but I'm missing something here.

I can see the brass fuel connections installed. Is this the key to resolving the issue ? Are the stock connections on the flange the cause of the faulty fuel gauge?

Is the entire upper flange complete garbage ? Where should others target when addressing the same issue?

I used to have the same issue on my 04 but cleaned the resistance slider and ran 1 can of sea foam through and the problem has not happened again in the last 2 years.

I've had other problems in that area though with lousy leaky fuel line connections through the flange.

All I know is that :
'ITS NOT HARLEYS FAULT' for all these issues because Harley personally told me so.

My enquiring mind is dying to know.
I think you're missing the PDF that he posted. Very nice write up of how a 3rd party sending strip was installed in place of the HD one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bernie I have been waiting for yrs for your excellent solution. The notched ring that unscrews the tank cap? How do I buy that tool? THANKS

·
Ozbox1
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fuel Module Assembly Top Ring Removal Tool

Hello, I purchased my tool from Amazon back in 2012.

The correct HD tool according to Pg 353 in the CLYMER Manual is HD-45324.

The moderator will not let me post the link, but look under the title:

OEMTOOLS 25156 Fuel Pump Module Spanner Wrench, roughly $30 USD

Hope this helps, cheers Bernie.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts