Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI new to the forum I just purchased a 2002 VROD and the silver frame has either been polished or washed with something that has clouded the color of the frame.Has any anybody ran into this problem and what is the fix short of tearing the bike apart and painting the frame.I did not know about the frame paint being so touchy till after I got the bike.

·
Mobile Exterminator
459 Posts
It is powder coated and they changed the process the very next year. Most likely it is simply the way it was.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Frame cloudy

The guy I got the bike from said he took the bike to have it detailed and when he got it back he he noticed the frame was cloudy the bike only has 4000 miles on it. I parked it next to another 02 VROD and there is a big difference the frame paint is in good shape not peeling just discolored. I was told there is a clear coat on the frame just wondering if somebody has run into this and if they used polish are cleaner wax or whatever to bring back the gloss and color.I know Harley says basically not to use anything on the frame other than to wash it.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
some of the "degreasers" that detail shops use will do this if left on too long and not sprayed off right away

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
some of the "degreasers" that detail shops use will do this if left on too long and not sprayed off right away
:them: Also, there is no clear coat on a stock 2002 frame. The clear coat (silver leaf) was introduced in 2004.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
It could have been that the detailer used a buffer and slightly "burnt" the powder. I have a similar issue where my key fob rubbed against the frame.

-Keith

1 - 6 of 6 Posts