Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just made 2000+ miles do i have to go to the HD shop or can i just change my oil and filter myself. And what do they do anyway for your 2000 mile service. To me everything is running great so i think.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Just change your oil and check critical fasteners. (Save your oil and filter receipts, for warranty.)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank that's what I was thinking. What are some critical fasteners.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
all the nuts and bolts on the bike. get out a ft lbs torque wrench and and an inch lbs torque wrench and have at it checking all the torque specs. and check your fall away.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I didn't know there was a 2k service. I thought it was 1k then followed by a 5k

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
If you follow your own schedule like I do on my new stuff,it will upset the factory schedule.Nothing bad because I try and service my engine oil the first time at 500 miles.I constantly check my bikes over for stuff that might come loose or cause a problem and all bike owners should do the same.

You should have already bought the Harley service manual for your bike and studied it.If not,do it now.This way you will be familiar with what should be checked and when.
2 things I can think of that are not in the manual is the triple sprocket bolt and doing a top engine clean.I'm sure there is more,or some you will learn yourself that we should know about.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i just thought that it was very 1000 miles you get your bike serviced??

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
i just thought that it was very 1000 miles you get your bike serviced??
If you mean every 1000 miles, you need to read your owners manual. Service intervals are every 5000 miles after the initial 1k service. I change mine every 2500-3000 miles, but then again I run a turbo and extreme climate.

·
Beach Bum
2,189 Posts
I've got 50k plus miles now over almost 8 years. I've never been to the dealer for a thing.

Change my amsoil oil every 4,000 miles, Lyndall brakes about every 15k to 20k miles, Metzeler tires every 15 to 20k miles (take wheels off myself), clean out my K&N air filter every spring, check fasteners all around every oil change.

Haven't done the valve lash but bike sounds 100% and runs 100%.

As some of my air-head buddies have told me, by now they would have had to tear down their engines TWICE with the mileage I have, LOL.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Metzeler tires every 15 to 20k miles
How do you get this many miles on a set on Metzlers? I got about 10k, and need another set. No Turbo or big bore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts