Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After alot of research and reading on this forum, I purchased my first Harley in April a used 2007 VRSCD with 945 miles. The VRod was the first Harley I ever had any real interest in and I chose the 07D as it seemed to combine most of the features I wanted.

Having been raised on "standard" style and sport bikes I was set on having mid-controls, all my buddies said I'd end up liking forwards so I figured having the highway pegs would offer the best of both worlds so I chose the D instead of the R. I really like the mids for driving agressively, but other than that I constantly find myself driving on the highway pegs and wishing the shifter and brake were up there.

I'm not a fan of ridiculously loud bikes, but the stock exhaust is really much too quiet, but it seems to sound a little less like the Jetson's spaceship everyday. From what I've read a 2 in 1 offers the best performance, but I don't like the look of them. There are some nice 2-2 systems but I hear most will actually reduce torque. The stock exhaust has a nice unique look and I couldn't stand the stock sound any longer, so I ordered a set of V-Mods which should arrive anyday now.

I originally found the stock seat to be decent, even my girlfriend didn't complain too much about the passenger pillion. But after a few longer rides I've changed my mind, any longer than an hour or two of saddle time becomes a pain in the ... I have a sundowner coming from a forum member.

The Fuel Gauge... huge disappointment, it doesn't seem to have any logic to it. Stay above the full-mark for quite some time, a few miles later its down to 1/4, then its empty light on, then back to 3/4s...sometimes you fill it up and it stays at 1/4 tank etc.. I've found I can average around 185-210 miles on the 5 gallon tank and try to ignore the gauge. Has anyone figured out a solution or even some understanding of this gauge?

The bike is still on the Mobil1 Synthetic 20w50 that the previous owner put in it. I have noticed it seems to burn some oil, its went down about a full quart since I got it. I also find it shifts a little rough from 1st to 2nd. I have Amsoil 20w50 ready to go into it and hope that solves both problems.

I wish it had a 6 speed transmission and/or more spaced out gearing. 1st has too much gear for low speed traffic speed, 5th could use more gear as it turns around 5000 rpm at 75mph. The close ratio gearing sucks for fuel economy, but great when you wanna bang a few gears and put your driver's license on the line.

The engine performance is great, a quick twist of the right hand always makes me smile. I wish it had more downlow torque, but it hangs with the big air-cooled twins at low rpm and when they're running out of gear its just starting get into the HP curve and its lights out. Its plenty fast, maybe not sportbike fast but it doesn't have sportbike aerodynamics either. I haven't pushed it passed 125, but that felt alot faster than 150 does on a traditional full fairing sport bike.

I have the standard slotted disc wheels. I was worried about cross wind issued and have found that to be a bit of a problem although I am getting used to it. I'd love to get some dead sexy HogPros or Reactors but they're too pricey for my blood so I hope to pick up some 08D 5-Spokes or even a set of 10-spokes from an R or a D.

I strongly dislike the plastic license plate mount and signal lights. Eventually I'd like a sidemount plate set up and a much classier/cleaner yet still very visible signal light mounting solution.

My better half enjoyed biking so much that after only a few rides she decided to buy a used Suzuki Marauder 800 and get her license. She wants a V-Rod eventually, but apparently its not acceptable to take mine as a hand-me-down so that I can get a new Muscle.

Hopefully this post is useful to someone looking to buy their first V.
Ride Safe!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Great write-up

You might want to search a Dual-Shifter set-up . I think it's hands down one of the easiest and usable Mod i have done so far. I figured I really don't need my Rear Brake at Hwy speed but that shifter was a must and has worked great for me.

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
Nice write up. I think we all encountered the same opinion at one point or another on the stock form. One benefit of losing the stock exhaust is you will lose weight (stock exhaust weighs over 30 lbs). A 2-1 does improve performance and there are a variety to choose from in regards to style and sound.

As far as the fuel gauge, I guess it was a problem after 2006 when the 5 gallon tanks started coming out. My 2006 D has no issues withe gauge and is almost dead on.

The stock seat does suck, and I think you will likely end up with 2 seats, like some of us. 1 for everyday riding and one for long trips (Sundowner).

As far as the mids go, I really miss them for long trips (3 hours or more) as they combined with the highway pegs let you change your leg positions and take weight off your tailbone.

I've had my D now for almost 4 years and have 22k+ miles. They are bullet proof provided you perform your maintenance. Good luck!

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
As far as the fuel gauge, I guess it was a problem after 2006 when the 5 gallon tanks started coming out. My 2006 D has no issues withe gauge and is almost dead on.
5 gallon tank is NOT the issue, trying to use sonar in an atypical shaped fuel cell with fuel always in motion IS the problem. Prior to '07, the fuel gauges/senders are resistance based.

·
ICON Clad Youth
140 Posts
Nice write-up. I agree with just about every observation.
I have an '06 D, and my fuel gauge did eventually freak out at about 35-40,000 miles.
I too might have to get a more comfortable seat for me and the lady for those longer rides. After the last one, her butt was internally bruised, and I don't think she is too excited to do it again.
Love my mid-controls for aggressive riding, but like to have the hwy's to switch it up for comfort.
Do I ever wish this thing had a much bigger top gear!!! Don't care if it is a bigger 5th or a 6th. 60MPH is a bit much in 1st. Could have even better accel if not that tall of a gear.

·
Carbon Yeti
4,598 Posts
We have the D touring pillion/back rest and a Sundowner set up along with the HD back rest and our custom. The Sundowner and tall sissy bar are required for long rides double. Solo, I don't really care. The seats look better.
The Arnotts has made a huge difference in the bike. If ya ain't got it, you need it.
I don't need forward controls, but I love the highway pegs.
No fuel gage issues on my '06. It's dead on.
I love the sound coming from under the airbox at 80mph. Lock down the thumb screw and let it roll.
We have the stock tank and might as well keep it. It's the same size as my wife's bladder. When one is full, the other is empty.
We didn't choose this bike, it chose us.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Good write up! As for the gauge my 03 has never worked either, and it's hard ignoring that darn thing! So I go 85-90 miles and fill up at that point all the warning lights have been going off and it only takes 2 gallons and it holds 3.8!

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Good buy I wish I had done some research before buying my 03. Got my gas gauge running after adding fuel injector cleaner to the tank (if its the old style assembly) 188kms and im empty if it acts up...

Gearing: Change your front pulley to 28 tooth and calibrate your speedo. Big difference 2nd gear is better then sex...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts