Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a geezer, I have some comments about my longish ride on the bike , from New Orleans to Ft Lauderdale, and back. 2100 miles.

Equipment: SE 16ga pipes, aircleaner and factory flash. Sundowner seat, factory soft leather bags, touring shield, Memphis Shades lowers. Engine guards with convoluted hiway peg location (first pic). Kuraykin switchblade pags in front, rear pegs have V-Mod ratchet extensions w/kuryakin mini boards, slanted forward. HD-Sac in the rear, (reinforced with heavy particle board and a slab of pine.)

1.) Mechanical: The bike never stalled, coughed or gave me any signs of mechanical problems. It does seem to be taking longer for the Engine light to go off when starting, but it does go off. I burned no measurable amount of (syn) oil on the trip. Averaged about 34 mpg. (The SE RoadKing I was riding with used exacly the same amount of gas as I did!) Low fuel light came on consistantly at 73 +/- 3 miles since fillup. Only let it go to full gauge empty once, and it took 2.8 gallons.

2.) Cruising: I went 80-85 mph most of the way. Used the friction lock quite a bit, especially when traveling alone on flat roads. The fuill face helmet was great. The GPS (posted in thread "footpegs") worked well, but was a little hard to see in some light conditions.

3.) Stereo: The iPod worked best with a Sony headest where the speakers fit part way in the ear, facing forward, and a radio shack booster, at about 85% volume. They have to be repositioned every time the helmet is removed. (The flip up helmet minimizes the need for that). The in-helmet speakers were not loud enough. I went through 560 of 1300 stored songs, in random access mode. Radio Shack makes a 3 into 1 12V accessory that has a plug thet exactly matches the HD battery tender plug. I used al three for my iPod, GPS and Cellphone charger.

4.) Load: I started out with the load vertical (also posted in thread "footpegs"). I changed this to a much lower load, by placing the clothes bag sideways (third pic). Finally, I figured out that the tent and mattress rolls would go on top of the saddle bags. By packing properly, I had a great back support.

5.) Me: I found the best position for the legs was with the feet on the rear boards. This was good for about 40 minutes. Then I would straighten out my legs using the front hiway pegs. The stock position has too much wind turbulence for any extended riding at 85 mph, especially with the headwinds I encountered going both ways! The switchblade heel support pegs, therefore were pretty much not used. My butt was the hardest challenge. Even the Sundowner is too hard for an old fart like me after 5 hours or so. I shifted from one cheek to the other, but eventually it just hurt. I'm thinking a fleece cover might be nice. I also finally said fashion be damned and used some mini bungee cords to lash my chaps to my boots/legs so they wouldn't flap. It was a godsend.

PS: I lost part of one Switchblade (rubber end) and the other one is jammed in the out position. And I had to readjust them several times. They are coming off this weekend.

Also, the front fender flames departed in the first high speed run with rain (on my side trip to New Orleans last Wed). One of the tank flames departed on my run to Ft Lauderdale, so the rest went immediately after. There were no scratches on the tank from 2000 miles with a tank bag bouncing on there.

So all in all, I was able to take a sleeping bag, air mattress, tent and enough clothes for a week, enough electronic goodies, and myself, on a very long ride. I wish I could go further between fill-ups, and wish my butt was more durable. But I will do it again. Probably with less clothes. But not much less of anything else.

Attachments

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Danii,

That is a great report about your trip. From the pic, the bike looks really loaded down. Like the info on the music part, as i have been trying to resolve the issue myself.

The seat part, i know the MUSTANG seat looks like crap on the bike, but from experience, their seats seem to be one of if not the best for rider comfort.They are expensive, but the ease of installation/removal for extended trips plays into their favor.

I could not imagine spending 5 to 8 hours on the V-Rod in the stock configuration, as my butt cells would go numb too.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
I hated the stock seat for more than 30 minutes. the seat I have now is high density foam with gel insert and leather cover. rode to Austin last year (10hr each way) and was not sore at the end.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Great report! I can't help wonder if your ass would like a Corbin seat better? Mine loves the Corbin Dual Touring!

·
4,638 Posts
Daniii,
Wow...Even with all the pain :spank: and wind I KNOW YOU HAD A BLAST TRUCKING DOWN THE INTERSTATE :moped: FEELING LIKE A 20 YEAR OLD AGAN.....ITS HARD TO DESCRIBE THE FEELING :dance: .......RIDE ON MY BROTHER :notworth: :notworth:

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The best part was when going 85, when you want to, it is just a couple of seconds to 100. Effortless. (Even with the V-Geezer setup and baggage). And the last time I rode a bike on the Fla panhandle, I WAS 20.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Sounds like a great time Danii. Glad you got out for some fun. Hopefully the rest of us will be out soon :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hey don't take me wrong here, I don't want to get to personal but............A few years ago I tried 2 Harley seats, a Mustang, and finally a Danny Gray seat on my 01 Fatboy. My butt still hurting after only a couple hundred miles. I was looking at some catalogs at the bike shop and the salesman told me a secret. He said to wear silk boxers, they let you float around on the seat. I tried it and it really helps.

·
1,738 Posts
Daniii: Good report.

I had the same lock open experience with the Switchblades. I used a little white grease (actually DoorEase stainless stick lube for car doors) on the area the small ball bearing rolls on in the lock mechanism and have had no problems since. It opens and closes smoothly. Also, I learned that you cannot tighten the adjustment screw very far down without causing them to to eventually lock open. Try the DoorEase and backing off on the screw.

Also look for a roughing of the surface the ball rides over on the stirrup. I think that if you scrape the pegs the upward movement of the stirrup (the little peg that you use to open the stirrup is the first part of the pegs to hit the asphalt) may damage it.

Fred

·
Registered
80 Posts
What an experience, I have recently purchased the switchblades and have as yet set these up. Looks like not recommended from your experience. I think I am going to exchange them for HD pegs and heel rests for more $ but at least I hope will last longer. What are you going to get or recommend to replace the swithblades?

Michel

Daniii said:
As a geezer, I have some comments about my longish ride on the bike , from New Orleans to Ft Lauderdale, and back. 2100 miles.

Equipment: SE 16ga pipes, aircleaner and factory flash. Sundowner seat, factory soft leather bags, touring shield, Memphis Shades lowers. Engine guards with convoluted hiway peg location (first pic). Kuraykin switchblade pags in front, rear pegs have V-Mod ratchet extensions w/kuryakin mini boards, slanted forward. HD-Sac in the rear, (reinforced with heavy particle board and a slab of pine.)

1.) Mechanical: The bike never stalled, coughed or gave me any signs of mechanical problems. It does seem to be taking longer for the Engine light to go off when starting, but it does go off. I burned no measurable amount of (syn) oil on the trip. Averaged about 34 mpg. (The SE RoadKing I was riding with used exacly the same amount of gas as I did!) Low fuel light came on consistantly at 73 +/- 3 miles since fillup. Only let it go to full gauge empty once, and it took 2.8 gallons.

2.) Cruising: I went 80-85 mph most of the way. Used the friction lock quite a bit, especially when traveling alone on flat roads. The fuill face helmet was great. The GPS (posted in thread "footpegs") worked well, but was a little hard to see in some light conditions.

3.) Stereo: The iPod worked best with a Sony headest where the speakers fit part way in the ear, facing forward, and a radio shack booster, at about 85% volume. They have to be repositioned every time the helmet is removed. (The flip up helmet minimizes the need for that). The in-helmet speakers were not loud enough. I went through 560 of 1300 stored songs, in random access mode. Radio Shack makes a 3 into 1 12V accessory that has a plug thet exactly matches the HD battery tender plug. I used al three for my iPod, GPS and Cellphone charger.

4.) Load: I started out with the load vertical (also posted in thread "footpegs"). I changed this to a much lower load, by placing the clothes bag sideways (third pic). Finally, I figured out that the tent and mattress rolls would go on top of the saddle bags. By packing properly, I had a great back support.

5.) Me: I found the best position for the legs was with the feet on the rear boards. This was good for about 40 minutes. Then I would straighten out my legs using the front hiway pegs. The stock position has too much wind turbulence for any extended riding at 85 mph, especially with the headwinds I encountered going both ways! The switchblade heel support pegs, therefore were pretty much not used. My butt was the hardest challenge. Even the Sundowner is too hard for an old fart like me after 5 hours or so. I shifted from one cheek to the other, but eventually it just hurt. I'm thinking a fleece cover might be nice. I also finally said fashion be damned and used some mini bungee cords to lash my chaps to my boots/legs so they wouldn't flap. It was a godsend.

PS: I lost part of one Switchblade (rubber end) and the other one is jammed in the out position. And I had to readjust them several times. They are coming off this weekend.

Also, the front fender flames departed in the first high speed run with rain (on my side trip to New Orleans last Wed). One of the tank flames departed on my run to Ft Lauderdale, so the rest went immediately after. There were no scratches on the tank from 2000 miles with a tank bag bouncing on there.

So all in all, I was able to take a sleeping bag, air mattress, tent and enough clothes for a week, enough electronic goodies, and myself, on a very long ride. I wish I could go further between fill-ups, and wish my butt was more durable. But I will do it again. Probably with less clothes. But not much less of anything else.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sorry, forgot to ask where you got the floor board for the rear?

Michel

Daniii said:

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Hey remember what I said about those flames Flying off! :slap: :biker: :thumb:

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kaz, as usual, you were correct. I tried to stay at "less than 90", but there is no way with this baby. (Violated that rule on the first on ramp, leaving New Orleans) Michel, I got the mini boards from Chopper Steve. I think I am going to put the regular "slotted" footpegs (I have an extra set) on the front mounts for now. I have to see if I can get a replacement end rubber piece for the switchblades. I do remember your earlier post, Fred, about the white grease. When I have them off, I'll do that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
So do you think that I should keep the switchblades and try them out first. It does appear that they are not very reliable? If I understand correctly one of the pegs swing arm is stuck open and the other the rubber is missing?

Michel

·
1,738 Posts
Michel: Try them first. I like mine. The swing arm tends to lock open and you have to take it apart to free it. Then it works again until the same thing happens. The grease solved my problem, at least for the last 1000 miles so far.

Fred

·
Pat's Fan
363 Posts
Cool thread Daniii,

Alot of people say the VRod is not a touring bike. I think you have proved (with alot of mod's) that can be done. If they every put the Revolution in a bagger or sport bagger would you trade over or do you like the ergo's better on the stock ones?

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thats a tough call. I love the engine. I would love to have a more comfortable rear seat for the wife. We went on a short ride yesterday, and its a little cramped. (She could lose some weight - did I say that out loud?). But I love the look of the current design. (Even without the flames.) I'd have to have 2 bikes I guess. I do know that the only bagger I would own would have to have at least the 103 CI motor.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts