Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
GO LEAFS GO!
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer told me I cannot put a 200 rear tire on my VRSCD. What modifications do I need? I have stock rims and it is lowered front and rear. would like to go with a metzeler. Please help.....from the info on here it can be done.:banghead:

·
Not in EP anymore
1,693 Posts
Dealer will tell you that but many here have already done it. You might have to trim the belt guards but that is it.

By the way :welcome:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
rookierodder said:
My dealer told me I cannot put a 200 rear tire on my VRSCD. What modifications do I need? I have stock rims and it is lowered front and rear. would like to go with a metzeler. Please help.....from the info on here it can be done.:banghead:
They prolly dont sell Metzelers! :deal: Thats why they dont fit, if you can, find a better dealer!

Mike

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Your dealer is full of it...

You can fit the 200 just fine by modding your belt guard (might not have to) and/or grinding down or removing your saddlebag mounting bracket under the fender.

My dealer tried to say that the rim wasn't wide enough, but then I found a reference from Metz saying it was within specs...

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
I guess I got lucky -- I just slapped mine on and it didn't rub at all, and, I am running 12" Works shocks on the rear. When I put my chrome swingarm on it rubbed a little on the "saddle bag brackets", but within a couple of days it rubbed a little of the tire off and it quit rubbing. Its not grooved at all. If you look real close at the tire you can see where its not quite as sharp on one edge as it is on the other edge, but other than that it works fine. You might give the 200 a try befofe you start cutting and grinding. Take care. cw

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
CFW, it seems to be slightly different for everyone. My set up worked like yours, until I rode 2-up w/ mom (ew, what a mess). But normally it was fine. Then again, I've heard of folks who had to do both little tricks to get it to work. Weird stuff!

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
NightMare said:
CFW, it seems to be slightly different for everyone. My set up worked like yours, until I rode 2-up w/ mom (ew, what a mess). But normally it was fine. Then again, I've heard of folks who had to do both little tricks to get it to work. Weird stuff!
kerri, do you get rubbing when you're two up? what do you mean 'a mess'?

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
salieri said:
kerri, do you get rubbing when you're two up? what do you mean 'a mess'?
Ha...you know what a fender looks like after a burn out? Yeah...there was constant rubbing with a passenger on there and my shocks were adjusted as stiff as I could get them. I had rubber shavings everywhere. I now have a grinder that I'm going to take to the front right-hand bracket when I get a chance.

·
Southern Comfort
381 Posts
Why would you want to remove the those? I just removed my saddle brackets and had no rubbing anywhere...even 2 up!

·
Registered
78 Posts
bottom line here folks is that the minimum rim size for a safe bead and correct grab patch is 5.5 inches for a 200 tire.putting this on an stock vrsc rear wheel means a weak bead and smaller contact patch.i don't know about you but i wouldn't ride on that !

·
Registered
72 Posts
OK lets talk about the real deal!! I have an 06 vrscd and I put the 200 Met on and yes the tire will rub two up even with the shocks jacked all the way up. I did not have an issue with my belt gaurd at all, but the right side inner fender brace is what is rubbing the hell out of the tire when two up. I removed the brace and grinded down the curved edge that is hitting the tire after that it would occasionaly rub the inner fender when going into a parking lot with a good dip. I have set mine up for drag racing and I do it a lot so with 8000 miles and just put my third tire on (2nd Met 200) I have experienced all you can with this issue......LOL You do NOT have to remove the rear tire to pull this bracket off.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hello All,

Has anyone tried the Avon 200/55-18.
I know it's slightly taller - not really the best fit.
But I'm wondering if there is any possitive feedback on it.

Thanks

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Peter, I'm pretty sure there are some folks running the Avons. I don't know who though...

·
THE DORK-ROD
344 Posts
Hale's HD would not put the 200 on my wheel and it was already off the bike.I had to take it to the kaw. shop.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts