Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I guess I'm the only one to have a problem with clearance on the 200 Metz. I put it on this past Saturday. Modified the lower belt guard for clearance as everyone else has done. All is going well.

Then I go for a test ride. When I get off, I check both sides for any issues. I have on the opposite side from the belt (e.g. exhaust side) rubber from the tire all over the place. The problem, I weigh too dang much and when I'm on the bike the very edge of the tire (the point and in about 1/4 inch) rubs. I'm not sure what you call it, but it is rubbing against the black metal that is under the anodized fender, specifically the lip that I believe is there for structural support.

Allright, so here is the current situation. I have the shocks set at 5, the bike is not lowered, no dang way to carry a passenger because of the clearance problem. Any suggestions?

I have thought about grinding back the black metal lip for clearance but am not sure what the lip is there for unless it is for structural support. Which I don't want to eliminate because of my size. Only other thing I can think of is to change back to the 180. Any ideas will be appreciated greatly. And, no, I'm not going to go on a diet!! ;)

Why do I have to be first with problems!!!!:confused: :bash :banghead

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Sasquatch the lip is to mount bags from what I understand. I cut mine off when I installed DrHeathenscums light and cut the dogs ass down.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Sasquatch if I remember correct from an earlier post tips the scales at 310 give or take a #.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm actually down to about 292 right now. Svelt I am. :D

When competing in powerlifting competitions, I'm at 308.

---------------------
Michael (Sorry, keep forgetting to put my name in posts!)

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
I guess besides going Faster being 150lbs has other Advantages!;)

·
If You Ain't Cav...
2,069 Posts
Sas,
You can take those supports all the way off if you don't plan to mount saddlebags and loose the dog's a$$. Loose a couple of lbs off of the bike and fix the clearance problem! I cut mine like Max said b/c I kept the license plate mount part of the a$$ and needed to keep the supports to affix it to the bike. Just call Joe (DrHethenScum) and order your taillight today!!

Mike

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kaz -> Kiss all 300 lbs of my :moon Just kidding!;)

Everyone else, thanks. I'll look and see what can be done with grinding it down. However, I don't see how it relates to the tailight. I'm not sure that I described the location properly. The plastic, etc. from the dog's a$$ is not the issue. What is rubbing on mine is the inward turned lip on the black metal (about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick) piece that the fender is attached to. It is located from about 20 degrees before the top of the tire to the dog's a$$. If I'm just misunderstanding, and this is what you've been describing please let me know. There is a piece back on the dog's a$$ that will need trimming.

If I'm confusing everyone, I will try to get home in time tonight to take a decent picture. I keep forgetting to do that anyway so that Max can post.

Michael

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Sasquatch

The piece I am talking about is at the arrows in this picture.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That ain't it. That's what I was thinking y'all might be interpreting what I'd said. Up under the anodized fender is a black metal "support" (for lack of a better word). If you run your hand between your tire and the fender you will find it. It is not visible unless you look under the fender. The lip on this metal "support" turns back towards the center of the bike and runs from about 20 degrees before the top of the tire back to the dog's a$$.

Again, thanks and sorry I wasn't clear the first time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Max, in the picture you posted. It runs from just about the red number 4 (under the fender of course) back to the dog's a$$.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Sasquatch your still describing the same piece that the picture points to. The metal bracket for the bags is at the point of the arrows underneath all the plastic, It is a very thick piece of metal that comes down almost flush with the piece of plastic. It has a lip that is almost a half inch long and points back toward the center of the bike on both sides and has a square hole near the middle of it.

Max

·
If You Ain't Cav...
2,069 Posts
Sas,
The dog's a$$ (plastic turns/license) on the rear fender attaches to the metal supports that are giving you the issue. I am saying that you can easily remove ALL of this (including the turn signals) and just replace your stock taillight with a Heavycycles.com one that has the turn signals integrated in the stoplight...Whew.

Mike

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Sasquatch do you have a digital camera to take pics of the brackets? Would you like for me to take pics of Jeannie's bike and have you circle the brackets in question to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea, I guess so. I took some pictures but they did not turn out too well. Think I will try again tomorrow with some additional light from a flashlight maybe. The metal part does run all the way back to where you were talking about. Maybe I just don't quite understand what the heck I'm looking at. Sorry, to be so unsure, just scared to cut something on the bike that can't be undone!!

However, it did get me off my tail and post pictures of my bike in the photo gallery. Again a bit dark though.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I saw your pictures, glad to see people using the gallery. Here is a pic I just took from a very low angle that shows the bracket that I cut off of my scoot.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Max,
I can't see it very well on that picture but the location is as shown on modified version of the attached picture. The bracket will have to go as well but is not the first place that the tire makes contact. Contact is first towards the front of the tire then as the contact increases it goes back to that bracket until it touches there also. I suppose I could ride on really smooth roads and not turn too quickly! :(

I'll try again to get a better picture this evening. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts