Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire replacement time is coming up, and I think have read that you must do some grinding to the Hardbag mounts so the tire will clear. If that is correct specifically what do you need to do? If anyone with HD Hardbags mounted the tire, I would appreciate hearing of their experiences.

Fred

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Fred,

From what others have said you will at a minimum have to trim the bolts holding bag frame tothe bike. On other bikes the tire rubs the bag mount so even trimming the bolt won't do.

If I were you I would take your existing setup and measure the clearance you have today with the 180 (you may need to put it on a lift and remove the upper shock bolts and lower the bike through it's full range of motion to find the spot with the least clearance).

The 200 is 20mm wider or 10mm on each side than the 180. If you have at least 10mm clearance on both frame mounts then you're home free.

Mark

·
Registered
503 Posts
i have 200 metz and hard bags.if you have a lift do what i did . fit the wheel and undo your rear shocks, this will allow you to lift the swinging arm up to see were it
will rub. both front and rear mountings.on the exhaust side will rub,the rear is easy but it is easier removing the rear mount and sticking it in a vice to grind it down. its the bolt that fouls so you have to take the head right down to the minimum .you can see rear pictures on v3rod is ready thread

alex

1 - 5 of 5 Posts