Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 07 Nightster and my soon to be wife wants me to get something that is suited for 2 up riding. I know I can make the Nightster work but don't think it'd be the best ride for either of us. The Nightster is the first bike I've ever owned and bought it brand new in 07.

We went to the dealer this past weekend and checked out the Night Rod Special and a Wide Glide. It was raining, so couldn't test ride but she's fallen in love with the Night Rod. So looks like we will be upgrading to the 2011 VRSCDX Night Rod Special. Lol After sitting on one, I have decided that I will atleast need the reduced reach handlebars, if not the seat and foot controls. And the forward controls intimidate me just a bit since the Nightster has mids. LOL I'm wondering if there are any concerns of me upgrading from a sporty to a Night Rod? Or if there is anything else that people recommend I upgrade? We will also be adding a sissy bar and backrest. From the looks of the thread in the VRSCDX section and the videos we will be adding the security system with ABS. Anybody think this is a bad idea?

Do you guys think the Night Rod is suited for 2 up riding? Would Wide Glide be the better option?

Our rides will be 1-3 hour rides most of the time. Once or twice a year, we'll take all day or weekend rides. So we aren't really looking for a touring bike per say. Just something that we can ride together on pretty much stock.

So long winded way to ask a question, LOL but anybody have any feedback on 2 up on a V-rod?

Thanks in advance,
Jeffrey

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
There will be some that say they are,but the V-Rod is not very passenger friendly.
Put your ole lady on the Sporty and you take the V-Rod.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There will be some that say they are,but the V-Rod is not very passenger friendly.
Put your ole lady on the Sporty and you take the V-Rod.
HAHA Wish I could. LOL She has no interest in her own bike. But she's stubborn as heck and no matter what I tell her about the V-Rod not being very passenger friendly, she's in love with it. But even if it's not, I'll leave her at home and take it. LOL

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
My often ride 2up and with the sundowner seat for me and the passenger, no complaints at all! The back rest annoys me because they lean against it and this makes the rear feel strange at times. Passengers should shadow the rider and stay close, when they lean back they get lazy!

Original seat is on the skimpy side for passengers! That makes them unfriendly and the lady parts take a beating! So I was told, hence the sundowner....

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I take my 17yr old kid out all the time ( to much some times lol ). Arnotts made a big difference in comfort with 2 up and switching back to solo riding.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
My wife is good to about 45 minutes at time. It isn't too passenger friendly. I have a Sundowner seat.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
my wife wont ride on the back and my 12 yr old doesnt think it is too comfortable either and that was with the stock seat

As you can see in my sig , my wife now has her own bike

·
Registered
68 Posts
Don't buy a VRSCDX for two up. Don't buy a wide glide. Do your self and your old lady a favor and buy a nice Road King. Just a little more $$ but a lot less bitching in the end.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a VRSCF and enjoy the heck out of it. I wanted something sporty and occasionally ride my wife. I'm 6'3 and have flipped my forward controls to extend the leg room a few inches. My wife is 5'10. We have done a few long rides 2 up and I'm convinced there is no way she is comfortable on the back. I made a suggestion that maybe we should trade up to something more comfy, and her response to that was you can get one... But I won't ride on it. Lol!!! She really digs the style, and wants nothing to do with a tour bike.

I did a PCV / Autotune / Pipe / filter upgrade and don't like the way the electronics fit under the rear seat. I'm going to make a custom seat pan and have it professionally covered in an attempt to add some comfort...

Maybe down the road I will just add a bike to the stable (one sporty, one tour).

Just a note about intimidation with the forward controls. I have always ridden sport bikes prior to the "F". I have even taken several rides on my friends Nightster. Once you get used to putting your feet forward you won't want to go back IMO.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the responses guys. I keep telling her that I don't think it'll be comfortable for for her but she's stubborn. Lol I know I can make it comfortable for me.

Don't buy a VRSCDX for two up. Don't buy a wide glide. Do your self and your old lady a favor and buy a nice Road King. Just a little more $$ but a lot less bitching in the end.
Thanks but not a fan of the road king. Not a fan of alot of Harley models. If we go touring bike, it'll be a metric sport touring bike.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Take my opinion with a grain of salt cuz my fiancé and I are 24/21 only weigh 155/115 and came from riding crotch rockets but we are fully enjoying the night rod love it actually

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
My wife and I have done several 500mile days on our bike and she enjoys it. I know other bikes may be more comfortable, but with a back rest and good pegs the v-rod does just fine.

·
Registered
342 Posts
My wife rides with me a lot. She LOVES it! My 07DX isn't stock though. I put a touring passenger pillion on the rear along with a short sissy bar and pad. The #1 thing I did to improve her comfort on rides was to put passenger peg extenders I found on this forum. Now her legs and feet are out in front of her, instead of underneath her. This being said..... I agree that the ROD is not meant to be a 2up bike, but with very little work it can be made pretty comfortable for a passenger. Some guys don't like to make changes for the passenger because they don't like the "look". I ride because I love to ride NOT because of the "look". Get what YOU want and enjoy the RIDE!

·
Registered
527 Posts
:them:

If you were comparing the DX to a touring model I would say there is a major difference. Vrod to Wide Glide you won't see much of a difference in comfort. There will be a difference in powerband though. The big twin is more suited for two up riding with the torque down low.

I would not go to a touring if you like performance though, the gearing is awful for spirited riding.

Good Luck:cheers:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for all the responses guys. I keep telling her that I don't think it'll be comfortable for for her but she's stubborn. Lol I know I can make it comfortable for me.

Thanks but not a fan of the road king. Not a fan of alot of Harley models. If we go touring bike, it'll be a metric sport touring bike.
Holy hell hairy hole!:D Lets not get all crazy here and do something you might regret. Just take some deep breathes......how about a Street Glide. You would look great on a Street Glide. I just checked EBAY. Down in FLA somebody is selling A Blue Street Glide with 1500miles for $14K. Hell of a good deal. Mama would be happy and when Mama is happy Life is Good. One nice bonus about a Glide is you have a radio to crank when/if she does start to bitch. :dance:That being said, I ride two up on my Night Rod and the wife doesn't seem to mind it much...but she weights 110lbs. and is 5'3". Not everybody is in the same boat.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Check out my profile pics. You can 2-up ride a DX with no problems. I'm 6-1 and I ride my daughter all the time on my bike. She is 14 but is 5-10 and about 130lbs. We have rode for hours on the bike and she says it rides good. I did have to adjust the rear shocks up 2 notches to help the overall ride of the bike. I never rode a forward control bike before I purchased my DX and love it after I rode it. They do take a little getting used to. I have a new 11 DX and a new 11 wideglide. The DX is better 2-up than the wideglide it has a wider seat that is pretty comfortable.

·
Registered
42 Posts
We have an 09 DX and a couple of upgrades made it passenger friendly without ruining the solo ride. First we upgraded the seat and pillion to a sundowner and added a backrest. That made it OK, but adding Forearms that move the passenger pegs forward about a foot made all the difference.

Go for the DX

1 - 18 of 18 Posts