Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to install a Dyna DRL-400HD on a 09 DX. My goal is a steady consistant launch. Has anybody successfully done this?
I know they are used on the destroyer but I don't know how the wiring relates from one to the other.

Any assistance is appreciated.

·
Noel
4,585 Posts
Welcome::

Having a Wheelie Bar would be something to consider as well.

I have not seen a later model wiring diagram, so I'm assuming the clutch neutral safety switch is a ground effect action for the starter bypass, If, I am wrong then you might need to employ a relay to get this working....

If your bike has the necessary clutch switch, earlier models would need to add this to get things working.

I suspect you can use the ground signal of this switch with out complications to the IN GEAR/Neutral safety bypass function it's intended to serve.

This ground signal would go the DRL's black ground line.
The red wire/power feed should to connected to a fused 12+ volt line.
The white and blue wires would individual be connected to the the bikes blue/orange and yellow/blue wires at each of the coils.

Setup, Adjust the High Range Limiter dial to an RPM you comfortable with 5250 to 9250, it's adjustable in 250 RPM steps, once you have found the approximate range whether your bogging to spinning adjust the tire air pressure to refine the optimum launch traction.

If your not familiar with using a TWO STEP, remember one rule, DUMP the clutch lever do not Feather the clutch lever or you'll be pogo'ing the power from stutter to WOT, this will get you out of shape real quick.

Double check your service manual's wiring diagram to ensure what I stated is accurate.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts

I have not seen a later model wiring diagram, so I'm assuming the clutch neutral safety switch is a ground effect action for the starter bypass, If, I am wrong then you might need to employ a relay to get this working....
Yes, the late model clutch switches connect the BK/R wire from pin #10 of the TSM/TSSM to a BK/GN ground wire.

·
Noel
4,585 Posts
Thanks Steve,

I'd like to add one item, for street / normal clutch shifting at spirited RPM'S, you might get premature rev limiting, to prevent this either put an off switch in series with the black wire going to the drl, turning the unit OFF or adjust the high limit dial to it's MAXIMUM setting!

Yes, the late model clutch switches connect the BK/R wire from pin #10 of the TSM/TSSM to a BK/GN ground wire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts