Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading the threads about a 2 bar sensor. I understand that it sends a signal corresponding to the higher pressure in the plenum. Is it that simple, just install it? Does the ECM know what to do with this higher signal or is there something else that needs to be done?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
No, you have to downscale the Maps accordingly.
i think you will have to explane that in more detail, i know what you mean but it requires a little more explanation.. if you are using the stock ecm and tuning with something like a sert or sepst, when you install the 2 bar sensor, the ecm is reading half map pressure .so 50 kpa map reading will correspond to a true 100kpa in the intake and a 100kpa reading will correspond to a true 200kpa (14lbs boost) in the intake tract..

·
all or nothing
1,372 Posts
I have been using 2bar Delphi MAP (16235939) with SERT, and calculated downscaling
by using Delphis V output formulas.

SERT -> Real pressure
10kPa -> 7kPa
20kPa -> 28kPa
30kPa -> 50kPa
40kPa -> 71kPa
50kPa -> 92kPa
60kPa -> 113kPa
70kPa -> 134kPa
80kPa -> 156kPa
90kPa -> 177kPa
100kPa -> 198kPa

Downscaling means, what you have currently defined for example 90kPa you have to move value to 50Kpa position or fr 30Kpa to 20kPa.
From 60kPa up you have to invent figures by youself.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I have been using 2bar Delphi MAP (16235939) with SERT, and calculated downscaling
by using Delphis V output formulas.

SERT -> Real pressure
10kPa -> 7kPa
20kPa -> 28kPa
30kPa -> 50kPa
40kPa -> 71kPa
50kPa -> 92kPa
60kPa -> 113kPa
70kPa -> 134kPa
80kPa -> 156kPa
90kPa -> 177kPa
100kPa -> 198kPa

Downscaling means, what you have currently defined for example 90kPa you have to move value to 50Kpa position or fr 30Kpa to 20kPa.
From 60kPa up you have to invent figures by youself.
thanks i just learned something ,, i didn`t realize it wasn`t a direct 2/1 relationship between the readings of the different map sensors.. thanks again..

·
Cajun-VRSCF
263 Posts
I have a question for anyone with knowdlege, I am building my own turbo system and plan to run just 8psi, should I worry about changing the map sensor? I have everything eith ordered on on hand except the exhaust manifold. I for a new turbo for a BMW. It is suppose to be good for 5-25psi boost. I did get it with an internal wastegate. Thanks for any help.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
I have a question for anyone with knowdlege, I am building my own turbo system and plan to run just 8psi, should I worry about changing the map sensor? I have everything eith ordered on on hand except the exhaust manifold. I for a new turbo for a BMW. It is suppose to be good for 5-25psi boost. I did get it with an internal wastegate. Thanks for any help.
You'll need a 2 bar MAP sensor... You can get one thru Zippers...

·
all or nothing
1,372 Posts
I had bad quality GM 3bar MAP-sensor in a "remote" stock location. Tought, when a timing of MAP-sampling is relevant, better to fit the sensor as near of a port than possible.

A modified KMS 3bar MAP in very stock location.

http://kms.vankronenburg.nl/products_sensors.html

Siemens Deka 80lph/3bar injectors and Porsche 5bar HiPo fuel regulator installed.

·
all or nothing
1,372 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Think he means where into the ELECTRICAL SYSTEM - which should be the main harness - assuming the replacement sensor is "plug compatible" or has an adapter.

ALL sensors operate in the same (similar) voltage range. If a sensor is capable of "reading" 2X the value (ie: 2 bar versus 1 bar) - then the full scale values will be 1/2'd.

Unfortunately - the tables in the stock ECM only go to 1 bar - ask boosted applications have to "fool" the ECM and tune in 1/2 resolution per cell. Using a sensor with more bars than you're boosting (using a 3 bar boosting 8PSI). 1 BAR = 14PSI. NA applications, the manifold is always in VACUUM - full scale (1 Bar) is when the pressure inside the manifold is equal to the pressure outside - since normal atmospheric pressure is 1 Bar (sea level).

ECM's with multi-bar flashes (TwinTec, etc.) have multi-bar tables...

Rick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts