Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to remedy the 1st to 2nd clunk shift we all have? What tranny oil or way of shifting should we use? Do we just live with it? There must be some type of solution to help it...not get rid of it...just help it.

-BICEP-

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Welcome!
The Revolution engine does not have a seperate "Tranny" oil. It uses a single source, and motor oil lubes the tranny. Amsoil, or another top end synthetic seems to help a lot.
Use synthetic oil after initial break-in of your engine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome!
The Revolution engine does not have a seperate "Tranny" oil. It uses a single source, and motor oil lubes the tranny. Amsoil, or another top end synthetic seems to help a lot.
Use synthetic oil after initial break-in of your engine.
OK...Great! What/Which Amsoil type/density/product numer would I use? I would do this ASAP!

:guns

-BICEP-

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
Yup. Oil makes a big difference. In my case, I went with Mobile 1 V-Twin.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Contact o2man98(Ken), on this forum, and he will ship you what you need.
20w50 is the recommended weight.

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
i had the same problem on my 03'...changed to syn. still clunked. i now have an 08dxa, went with AMSOIL 20-50, still clunks. either way go with a syn. oil, it might not help you with the clunk but will def. be better for your engine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK. Thanks guys...I understand I should switch to synthetic...but which one is best for my VRSCF Muscle's engine and clunk?

1) Amsoil 20-w50

2) Mobil 1 20-w50

Any input?

-BICEP-

·
Isld Shite Disturber
1,040 Posts
OK. Thanks guys...I understand I should switch to synthetic...but which one is best for my VRSCF Muscle's engine and clunk?

1) Amsoil 20-w50

2) Mobil 1 20-w50

Any input?

-BICEP-
both are good....I run Amsoil,, even Royal Purple is good as well....one thing BICEP,, is your V new or? how many miles you have on right now? Syn oil should not be used until like 1500 miles.......

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
both are good....I run Amsoil,, even Royal Purple is good as well....one thing BICEP,, is your V new or? how many miles you have on right now? Syn oil should not be used until like 1500 miles.......
I just turned 1800 miles on it. Oil change easy or better to have it done else where? Do you do arun and flush...or just do a regular oil change and go?

B

·
Can U See me now
1,672 Posts
Mobil 1 is easier to find locally. Bout all I got to say.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
when changing gear i just feather the clutch enough to loose drive then shift ..it seems to be a lot smmother doing that.

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
a hd mech. (forum member?) was giving me the low down of the clunk...he basically said it is normal, something about it being in a certain position when moving or rather other????
i remember a while back somebody mentioned the fork may be bent or out of line???

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Its going to clunk! Your changing from 1st to neutral to 2nd, this moves lots of gears around and so it clunks!
Different oils will suppress the noise but that's about it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to all who gave input! :notworth: I will try the Mobil 1 V-Twin oil!
I will post back the results over the next bit! :ride:

Oil changes easy on this bike yourself?

What's best filter for use with the Mobil 1 V-Twin oil?

-BICEP-

·
Voluptuous 'V'
515 Posts

-BICEP-
Use your Harley oil filter...works fine.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts

-BICEP-
There are hundreds of threads on this too.The search function will give you access to enough information for days of reading.Then you will understand why the type of transmission in the Revo clunks.it will never go away.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
I can make the first to second upshift quietly and smoothly by loading the shift lever a touch, pulling the clutch in while rolling off the throttle then waiting just a second before feeling it into second. The revs have to fall off a bit to match revs in the gearbox so the dogs don't clash and make that awful clang changing gears. Once you figure out the timing and how much throttle it wants, the gear change can be accomplished smoothly.
Now, I have not yet figured out how to get the bike into first from neutral without a hellacious racket.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts