Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is required at the 1st service? MOM is at home so I can't look it up. How many hours should it take and what should it cost at dealers?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Replace engine oil & filter
CHECK: oil lines, brake system, air cleaner, tires, clutch fluid, rear bel & sprockets, throttle & brake controls, jiffy stand, brake fluid, brake pads & discs, switches/electrical equipment, cooling system inspect (clamps) clean radiator, check critical fasteners for tightness....
total at the dealer will be between $300 to $500

Total if you did it yourself would be <$100, since the only part of this service that requires money to be spent is the oil & filter changes. Don't waste the money, do the 1k service yourself. If you don't own a torque wrench, the money you save on this first service will buy you one of the nicest ones out there.

·
I see dead people
1,045 Posts
I worked at a Harley dealership until late July. Anyway, it's normally billed at 2.5 hours for the 1000 mi serv. Cost depends on the dealer, it varies. Our dealership gave the 1K mi check free but normally would have cost about $265 with reg oil, about $295 with Syn 3

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1st service was include with purchase. $250 was cost. Next time I'll inspect all the parts and change the oil and filter myself. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
164 Posts
yep, do it yourself unless the dealer is giving you crap about logging it in the books for warranty issues. otherwise stay out of the stealership. much cheaper and rewarding doing it yourself. not to mention nowadays there are plenty of techs at dealerships that dont know what the hell they are doing anyway. especially with the VRSC product line.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Replace engine oil & filter
CHECK: oil lines, brake system, air cleaner, tires, clutch fluid, rear bel & sprockets, throttle & brake controls, jiffy stand, brake fluid, brake pads & discs, switches/electrical equipment, cooling system inspect (clamps) clean radiator, check critical fasteners for tightness....
total at the dealer will be between $300 to $500

Total if you did it yourself would be <$100, since the only part of this service that requires money to be spent is the oil & filter changes. Don't waste the money, do the 1k service yourself. If you don't own a torque wrench, the money you save on this first service will buy you one of the nicest ones out there.
And isn't check fall-away in the list ??

:deal:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hope so. I'll have it up on lift and try to check it. Just look for movement as your jacking up the front wheel?

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Hope so. I'll have it up on lift and try to check it. Just look for movement as your jacking up the front wheel?
No there is more to it than that... get the MM or search for a thread here that has the complete procedure. Maybe someone will point you to the thread since I am too lazy..... (and I'm going out right now)

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
And isn't check fall-away in the list ??

:deal:
NOPE, it should be but it is not. The 1k service is pretty much an overpriced oil change and doing a "once over" on the critical fasteners.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
NOPE, it should be but it is not. The 1k service is pretty much an overpriced oil change and doing a "once over" on the critical fasteners.
Well that's just strange... In my 2009 VRSC Service Manual page 1-5, Table 1-1 Regular Service Intervals it includes Steering Head Bearings Adjust at 1000 miles and again at 20000 miles.

If I go to page 1-46 Steering Head Bearings the first paragraph is Adjustment (Fall-Away).

If you go further into the manual to Steering Head, you only find the disassembly of the stem and bearings and I don't think that's the idea for a 1000 mile inspection.

The manual does not differentiate models for the 1000 mile Steering Head Bearings adjustment.

Am I missing something......?

·
Grabbin' a Handfull
196 Posts
I guess that answered my question I never had to ask.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I was not going by the service manual, but the Owner's manual. That being said, the owner's manual does state "adjust steering head bearings" but nothing about fall away. Please excuse my oversight while going through the 60 line item list.
I still stick by the statement that the 1k service is a glorified oil change. If your steering head bearings need "adjusted" at 1k miles but not again for another 19k....

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
I was not going by the service manual, but the Owner's manual. That being said, the owner's manual does state "adjust steering head bearings" but nothing about fall away. Please excuse my oversight while going through the 60 line item list.
I still stick by the statement that the 1k service is a glorified oil change. If your steering head bearings need "adjusted" at 1k miles but not again for another 19k....
We must not be on the same page. My maint manual and Owners manual each have 24 inspection items, of which 18 are at 1000 miles. I don't know where you read 60 items.

The fall-away method is the only method that I have read to "adjust steering head bearings". As for the need to adjust them at 1000 miles... maybe due to run-in or something like that...?? And maybe that's why after the second adjustment (the first at manufacture) it is not required again until 20000....

I don't want to lead someone up the wrong path here....

Someone please chime in here if I'm wrong...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts