Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy Mother of Pearl!

Damn this is a fast bike! Its definitely faster than my Ducati 748 hands down off the line... dont know about the upper limits yet though, I've been keeping it under 60 for the initial break in so far.

I've read a lot of posts where people say its hard for the DX to corner, like you have to coax it into a turn... this thing is as nimble as my Ducati, only more forgiving.

Cant wait to get my pipes!

Only thing I noticed was that the upper heat shield gets smacked by my jeans flapping in the breeze which tends to mar the paint... over time, this might be a wear spot?

Quick quesiton about the Denim paint.

I've read DONT wax it, and DONT use ammonia products like Windex.

I just washed it today with some dishsoap, by hand rub down, leaf blower, then wiped dry.

I've got some bike polish in a can from the Yamaha shop, its got carnuba wax in it... you just spray it into a clothe and wipe your bike down. This should work fine on the gloss black frame and engine parts... but I'm guessing, keep it off the denim, right?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah, forgot to mention....

Got off work yesterday an hour early, made a 2.5hour trip to StoneMountain HD here in GA to pick it up.... great folks to work with, they have two Vivid DX's left on the floor.

Anyway, Tied the bike down on the trailer, each handlebar (using canyon cycle strap), a tiedown on the rear wheel (rim and rear brake), and one tie down holding the front wheel rim forward to the trailer.

I get 10 minutes from home, stop for gas, check straps and all is well...

When I get home, the two front straps came undone and are loose!!!!!

No kidding! I'm surprised the bike didnt fall over!

I dont know how or why, but the front straps tied to the handle bars somehow pulled the handle bars DOWN!

I'm guess that the front handle bars may not have been torqued down to spec???? I called the dealer, told them all was okay, but they were surprised too.... I've never trailered a bike/ATV and had the handle bars move!

My friend came over to help me unload it, we each had to put a foot on the front foot peg and lift the handle bar up into correct position.

It feels solid enough, should be okay????

·
Registered
597 Posts
definetley DO NOT wax the denim, if you do over time it will loose it's flat look and start to shime up like regular paint. I usually just wash it up real good and then use a nice shamy to dry it off.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Grats! You've definitely got the bug... welcome to the club ;)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the bug? Oh brother, its a terminal illness!

I'm saving my pennies right now for the Boss Noss system... hopefully I'll have the cash by the first 1000 mile service :)

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I am so glad for you.
Many people come on here talking about getting a DX and they never appreciate just what it is like to ride until they get theirs.

Wait until you start using the rev range of 7000+ and speeds in excess of 100mph.
Just take a box of tissues with you ;)

I get my PCIII, K&N and a map from Mac53 tomorrow.
He has an R with the same set up, so it should be sweet.

Too muck fekin rain over here at the mo. I am spending more time on the Yammy, I don't mind get that one covered in road grime.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hahahha... the sales guy at the dealership asked me if I wanted to take it for a test drive first. I declined, told him that if I was buying a Ferrari I wouldnt be test driving that either. Bikes like these, there is no need for a test drive. I asked him if it cranks when you start it, he said yes, I said that's good enough for me.

·
06 Night Rod
385 Posts
Welcome to the forums. There is an amazing amount of information here. There are quite a few of us here in the ATL area.

Russ

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
Congrats on the new ride and glad you're enjoying her ;)

I have had mine just over 5 months and it is just over 4,000 miles and I am still as thrilled to ride her as day one and mile one!!!!

Now if I could only solve these problems since getting my Vrod:

1. PGD: Permanent Grin Disorder :D

2. OBD: Obsessive Bike Disorder :notworth:

3. PHD: Perpetual Happy Dance :dance:

Enjoy, she is the best therapist, funnest pal, wildest beast I have ever known :thumb:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Congrats man!!

I use dishsoap and water to wash the bike, and then I dry it with a lintfree cloth.

Harley gloss is what I use on the denim paint and also on the rest of the bike engine etc.

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
Does the owners manual give instructions on how to care for the denim paint? I wouldn't use dish soap, but that is just me. If I do put water on it, I use the sunwash concentrate that HD sells and their spray cleaner/polish to spot clean, which all it usually needs. I try not to put water on it if I don't have to.

·
Registered
181 Posts
When Your bike is exposed to rain and dirt as much as mine it needs to get cleaned with water often. I have used dishsoap on all my bikes with no issues at all. Don´t know what the manual says, but I´d doubt it will do any harm to the denim paint.
Anyways the Harley gloss is a relly good product for all areas of the bike.

·
Don't think, ride.
752 Posts
Mark Ducati said:
Holy Mother of Pearl!

Damn this is a fast bike! Its definitely faster than my Ducati 748 hands down off the line... dont know about the upper limits yet though, I've been keeping it under 60 for the initial break in so far.

I've read a lot of posts where people say its hard for the DX to corner, like you have to coax it into a turn... this thing is as nimble as my Ducati, only more forgiving.

Only thing I noticed was that the upper heat shield gets smacked by my jeans flapping in the breeze which tends to mar the paint... over time, this might be a wear spot?

I just washed it today with some dishsoap, by hand rub down, leaf blower, then wiped dry.

I've got some bike polish in a can from the Yamaha shop, its got carnuba wax in it... you just spray it into a clothe and wipe your bike down. This should work fine on the gloss black frame and engine parts... but I'm guessing, keep it off the denim, right?
I would personally not use the handlebars as a tie down point, I used the triple trees and upper shock bolts in the back. The handlebars are not welded to the risers in the later models, just held down with clamps. I am not surprised they moved, mine have come lose just by riding the bike. Congrats on your purchase, these bikes light you up inside, especially when you first bring them home.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Owner's Manual

I believe the manual says to use "Glass cleaner"... enjoy the DX and be prepared to talk about it whenever you stop... I read all the reviews before buying... Nothing compares to the real thing... All the great things about the bike outweigh any negative aspects it may have...
Riding daily and dodging the afternoon thunderstorms here in FLA.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Congrats on the bike and welcome to the forum. FYI, my owners manual says that you can use amonia based cleaners on the denim paint. I have a bottle of water mixed with a few drops of dish soap that I use after normal rides, if it is really dirty then I wash it with a bucket of water and dish soap. I use my air compressor to blow most of the water off of the tins and engine and use a towel to wipe the wheels, forks, and swingarm.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Mark Ducati said:
Holy Mother of Pearl!

i just use windex on my DX.....does just fine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts