Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Luckily not a 911 situation....

Was coming to a stop down a steep hill, hit a pothole, & the ABS kicked in.

Was a weird feeling...caught me by surprise cuz the bike kept going into the intersection! Ended up putting my feet down & cooking my leg a little.

Good thing is I got to know what it feels like in a non-emergency situation.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had a similar situation happen to me the other day.
I was crossing over a sewer manhole lid and as you know those can be perty slick. The ABS kicked in and I thought my breaks went out.
Just takes some getting used to i guess.

·
VRSCF
1,265 Posts
first day I got the bike it was damp, so I went out and did a few emergency stops to see what it felt like....having never had ABS on a bike before

it worked great and it was surprising just how much grip there is even with a wet road

·
LIFESHORTRIDEHARD
1,164 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Luckily not a 911 situation....

Was coming to a stop down a steep hill, hit a pothole, & the ABS kicked in.

Was a weird feeling...caught me by surprise cuz the bike kept going into the intersection! Ended up putting my feet down & cooking my leg a little.

Good thing is I got to know what it feels like in a non-emergency situation.
That has been my complaint since day 1. I described it here and was told I didn't know how to ride my bike, and that I stopped too hard - completely untrue. I always approach a stop as if I have to stop about 50 feet prior to the actual stop. It doesn't only happen with a pothole, but anything that skips the wheel just a bit, like a bump or a tiny patch of sand. I've had my ass saved by my ABS but it's also going to put me into the back of a car at some point.

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
There are pros/cons to ABS...THE DANGEROUS aspect of them is they will launch you forward when you ride over a bump or something. They have saved my sack more than once...

·
LIFESHORTRIDEHARD
1,164 Posts
If you let off the brake and re-apply when this happens does the slowed braking stop?

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
It all depends on the terrain & how fast your going. I tend to keep steady pressure on the brakes through out the launch.

·
LIFESHORTRIDEHARD
1,164 Posts
It all depends on the terrain & how fast your going. I tend to keep steady pressure on the brakes through out the launch.
When I keep pressure on the brake while launching my back tire smokes???? Why??? HAHAHAHA

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
This tends to happen to me also...I wonder if we are the only 2 experiencing this problem...:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts