Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

· Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
You are absolutely right!

I still don't know what IMHO, LOL, and BTW mean :laugh: .

I'm very sorry for the BUB a$$holes. Let's not stop flaming themJM, ever! Get one of the three belowJM. Just my opinionJM so look aroundJM. Hope this helpsJM. :laugh:

The TT are said to be the best power producers by several but only Kaz has them here, he has tried everything and he is reliable, most was done on a modified motorcycle though. He has also told us they sound great. I would rank them third in looks. No heat shields.

The ST seem to be the proven power king on a mostly stock V-Rod. There is evidence to that effect on side by side comparisons that did not include TT or JM exhaust. I think they look better than the TT. If you get a Power Commander there are starter maps available for download.

The JM I have are actually pretty cool. Lots of power. Most of all so very smooth. I think that not having heard the TT mine certainly sound better than the ST and I think also look much better also. If the TT are louder then beware cause the JM give me tinnitus if I use the little dicky helmet. I always wear a full face. I'm trying to build a custom map for them. So far it's running better than after last dyno session. No heat shields but those are like saddlebags and windshields. Added weight :2cents: .

You'll see there are many different opinions. It all depends on your style. If you go with any of the three above you'll be just fine in the power dept. I would rather see people getting something besides ST which are more commonplace. If I were just selfish it would be the other way around. I don't know about the TT's but I'd also like to see more people with my setup just because they'll be glad they did. Before I gave them some elbow grease I was really worried. After I gave them the first polishing they went back to chrome looking. When very hot they'll turn a bit yellow hue but mirror like, so very cool I believe.

The only way I see me switching is if others were so much powerful and this seems very improbable, one or two more hp will not be woth the switch, not because of the money, I just really like'em. Only one person here can help this now and it's Vinny upgrading from ST to TT on same bike. I gotta see that one :lick: cause he's smart too and will make the most of them.

When I'm through with mine I'm flying over to kick some TT buttJM ;) :diablo: . :hitfan:
Except for Kaz where the plutonium will come in handy.

· Greg/Moderator
18,957 Posts
eduarprmd....... If you read Paul's last post I answered his question. I been reading your quest for HP. I started with a set of $50.00 ebay stock pipes modded them myself installed the pcr3 down loaded the -20 map and 114.7 HP its easy with the right parts and a little home work.

· Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
:stooge:

VrodG said it the right way. It's like a quest but to experiment really. I'm always trying to see why yes and why not. I could already have my much imagined V-Rod. I don't care for that. Motorcycles are rather cheap (no huge money) devices compared to other forms of motor'sports', that's not the problem. They are just THE best kind, regardless of cost.

What is it? Topless, Race Tuner, TurboTecs, Two conic filters instead of the usual, 58mm TB's, I'd use Zippers "streetable" cams, Zippers or Steve's big bore kit with Dyer's rods, 10 plate clutch, those wires supposed to give you 1hp, different plugs, and even if fugly a turbo cause I've done nitrous and hate it in the street, it's like another hardon but she left :mad: . There's other stuff I do not care much about except brakes which I already got because of the importance in fun and in safety. I could do all that.

What? Get the phone and call saying I'm Mr Dickinson Fittipaldy :lick: and get me the store? Live without it because of a damn BB install? I've seen it many times and still looks stupid on the outside so I'm not going to be that guy, I'm riding mine until I break it, maybe soon, then I HAVE to leave it, then I'll do something more radical. Get what Kaz says because I trust him? And I do, but no. V-Mods? Hell no, and all over again, hell no. It's been tested until I already know what people are going to say before they do. I'd rather spend money and time having fun with mineJM ;) even if it means buying two or three different brand exhaustsJM to try for myself. Anything as long as I do not leave it there for longJM. I need another VRSCA V-Rod for that. Black of course noJM, something else, TT or ST maybe. Being a test mule for Terry Components unit? That would be fun, like John is doing. I'm doing it with the JM and fun it is. V-Mod is going to test them or so they say.

I'll race whoevers gzillion hp anytime, dynos can mislead and I have tiny 110.9hp :rolleyes: on a proflow, unless I tell you my dynojet numbers :rolleyes: , then you don't wanna race :tmbsdow: . Just for fun :thumb: . Will I hurt if I loose and I won't? No. But I WILL get the beers as promised. Maybe before we race, loosen up some. I don't need any.

Paul, just get something that looks good for your bike and adds hp. Want the easy way? Get a PCIII and whatever has maps for it. :slap:

:blahblah:

· Registered
223 Posts
Paul, everyone has a different opinion about what works for them. If you have your stock pipes you should remove the inner baffle yourself, and do another run on the dyno and I think you will surprise yourself and others. Until proven wrong, the best bang for buck is: stock pipes with the inner baffle removed, se air cleaner, pc3 and topless. As mentioned above, 114-115 easy hp and I got 84 tq. Total investment for me was $100 for pc3 and se air cleaner, which actually pays for itself as you just clean them instead of replacing.
Just my .02

· Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks for all the input.
I had a look at the pipes on the net. I'm sure the ST works they have a good rep over here, but I don't like the fat can look & it seems a bit expensive for a half system. The TT & the JM are very similar designs so there can't be a lot in it for road use. I've decided to try the JM 'cos stainless is good for the UK weather & I ride every day. The other factor was that the JM appears to be slightly upswept & should give better ground clearance. My SE is ground right through the outer skin already so a bit more lean angle will suit me fine.
Should take about 2 weeks to get the pipe & tune it in, I will definitely post the results.
Paul. :notworth:

· Registered
41 Posts
Hi Derek, do you have any instruction on how to remove the inner baffle from the stock pipes? I would like to make it a project of mine. Also, where can I find a SE air cleaner, what is a PC3, and can I go to a dealer for a dyno run?

Thanks in advance

· Vroddin' Madman
271 Posts
african paul said:
Thanks for all the input.
I had a look at the pipes on the net. I'm sure the ST works they have a good rep over here, but I don't like the fat can look & it seems a bit expensive for a half system. The TT & the JM are very similar designs so there can't be a lot in it for road use. I've decided to try the JM 'cos stainless is good for the UK weather & I ride every day. The other factor was that the JM appears to be slightly upswept & should give better ground clearance. My SE is ground right through the outer skin already so a bit more lean angle will suit me fine.
Should take about 2 weeks to get the pipe & tune it in, I will definitely post the results.
Paul. :notworth:
BTW - Paul, What is all that crap on your motor in your avatar?!

· Banned
12,577 Posts
Did ya do a Fabio"Hit a Duck with your head"? :eek:

· Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Derek.... mind if you get 2 phone calls???

Thanks
Greg

P.S. sounds like its a good do-it-yourself topic.

· Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
Anyone getting the JM will probably like.
My right ear hurts form riding with the dicky helmet today.

My friend just installed the ST's a couple of days ago. But today I got to actually ride it. I came over and he just handed me the keys :thumb: . As part of the trial and error thing I'm with the unchanged map for the stock V-Rod with the 16ga (V&H).

No racin today :sad: but mine is definitely much faster at this point in time, that is an easy and confident assesment, piece of a fricking cake right on assesment. Took it to a close by long stretch of asphalt often raced on so I know the place and how things should come at you.

I have the air filter and his does not. I'm topless and his is not. I had the SE flash, now better with the RT but shitty map no tune, unmodified for several days now so seat of the pants for this setup dialed in me already, but he has all stock EFI software. He has the end cap on with I don't know how many disks that some guys at US mainland tuning center reccomended. HM people or something like that, I don't really know but Jesus does it still sound weird to me. To him also, as he admitted himself with the face when I was leaving, "that one sounds better" (referring to the JM, in spanish).

It may need all that and maybe his will become faster than mine, right now a long way, mine was faster without the RT as well. We will see, literally. I sure wish his new bike is faster than hell with what he will do to it cause mine sure has the MF devil in her :diablo: .

I had them side by side, swapped them several times and I still cannot get comfortable with the looks but I'll say again if these ST things turn out to give 3-4hp more I may give them a try. I handed him MY keys and told him to please let satan loose :twisted: , give it some heat but he didn't wanna :tmbsdow: . I thought he needed the 28t and stupid me it is an 04 :laugh: .

I keep telling him to run it like Kaz says and I'll convince him. Get the most info possible with the best reccs. He said he tried it open and seemed less powerful :confused: . All this uncertainties and he has a dyno on his backyard. He did not even test a baseline, just put them on. No time, customers motorcycles first was the excuse :rolleyes: .

Just no Techlusion :yak: or oxygenated race gas :barf: . He's waiting on the RT and the Sunday thing may become a reality pretty soon.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.