Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a very inexpensive way of turning my stock 180 rear into either a 240 or preferably a 260. Any suggestions, recommendations and/or know how? Please help! I've done a lot of mods recently and this is one that I want to do but am limited, really limited on funds.:broke: :broke:

Can my stock swingarm be easily modified? Does anyone have parts you would like to sell in order for my dreams to come true? Heeeeeeelp!

·
Burn Baby Burn!!
700 Posts
Do the mod to you own swingarm which is free. Vmod sells a 240 kit for around $500. Kosman' s will widen your stock wheel to a 240. I believe they might even machine your pulley down. I would imagine $1500 or less for this mod.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Do a search. I swear someone performed the mod at a very reasonable price using Kosman's widening.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
NorthILLVROD03 said:
you can get a pretty cheap swing arm. its the wheels you spend you money on
Your not kidding on that one. My wife was about ready to call the credit card bank because she thought the card was stolen when I bought all my new stuff...:chair:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Check out RC Component's 240 kit. List is $1450 and can be had for $$$ less. It comes with a solid rim and and a few other tidbits. You modify your stock swingarm and use your stock pulley and belt.

·
Registered
519 Posts
turner1968 said:
I'm looking for a very inexpensive way of turning my stock 180 rear into either a 240 or preferably a 260. Any suggestions, recommendations and/or know how? Please help! I've done a lot of mods recently and this is one that I want to do but am limited, really limited on funds.:broke: :broke:

Can my stock swingarm be easily modified? Does anyone have parts you would like to sell in order for my dreams to come true? Heeeeeeelp!
What year is your bike?

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Check my gallery, I just did this mod. Stock swingarm, Widened wheel by Kosman, Narrowed pulley by V-Mod, narrow belt. 1500.00 or less is a good estimate.

·
Burn Baby Burn!!
700 Posts
Here' s a question...not trying to steal your thread turner, but has anyone just bought an 07 swingarm and wheel to get their 240? That seems to be a decent option also. Someone that has bought different wheels for their ride might have a deal on their 07 AW wheel.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
turner1968 said:
Can't I just purchase an '04-'06 swingarm and get wider wheel?

NO. 05-06 swing arms have a different rear axle I believe at the break caliper, and maybe even at the actual front axle as well. Just cut the breaktab, pick a wheel, and you may have to trim some of your inner fender. Belt gaurds will be a pain.

·
Registered
715 Posts
My advice brother is the look you want isn't going to be cheap, save your chips until you can do the mod correctly what ever system you choose stay with that brand. Your bike looks great so far good luck :biker:

·
REGUL8
891 Posts
turner1968 said:

Trade your bike in for a DX or AW.:laugh:

·
Registered
288 Posts
240 to 260??

I have cut my tab on my 03 swingarm and am currently running a 240 with the narrow belt. What, if anything would I need to do to jump up to a 260? Will a 260 be ok on a 8.5" rim?

·
NOT A REAL HD RIDER
779 Posts
With a stock swing arm on a 02-04 you can't go to a 260 without having your swing arm widdened at a machine shop....you can do the 240 by just cutting the tab. I tried a 250 and it will fit inside the swingarm but the side will rub your belt even the thin one,...check my gallery.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
ItsAVROD said:
I have cut my tab on my 03 swingarm and am currently running a 240 with the narrow belt. What, if anything would I need to do to jump up to a 260? Will a 260 be ok on a 8.5" rim?

Not on an 8.5" rim. a 260 will go on a stock swing arm with an 8" wheel. Probably looks the same as the 240 on the 8.5". I went 260 because I have the reactor wheel setup.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cutting the Tab

When you say just cut the tab, what does this mean and what/where is it? Is this all I would have to do? What size wheel fits the 240? Other than a wider wheel will I need anything else? I currently have a 1 3/8" belt can this still be used or do I need to find something narrower? Also, the rear brake caliper, can I still use this? Heeeelp!

·
Jeff
1,306 Posts
ttt, not sure how to do this either?

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Look up self mod 240 tons of info. You are cutting the front of the tab where the rear caliper sets.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts