Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read that the 2007 vrscd has a wider frame that the 2006. This is to allow for the larger gas tank and that the rear wheel is spaced to fit in. Is it also wider so that frame/swing arm can except the wider rim for the 240-rear tire? I have a 2008 VRSCD on order another week or two till I have it already thinking about mods. I am not saying this is what I will definitely do in considering the handling aspects of the 180-rear stock. I would like to know if changing the rear tire to the 240 is much less work than on the earlier models. Perhaps all I need would be the rim and tire. Plus will the fender being narrow create a problem. If not it might create an interesting look in aspect to such a large tire?

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Just go for a 200...it's and easy mod, looks great, and you still keep the handling characteristics of the 180! :thumb:

·
Fear The Reaper
1,152 Posts
I'm pretty sure you would have to change the swingarm to accomodate the wider wheel. Some guys I believe have done the conversion to their bikes to apply the narrower fender. It is a bolt on for them so that tells me the frame is the same.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I changed my 06 "D" to a 240. Didn't change the swingarm either.

Talked to Steve at V-Mod. He got me everything I needed. Narrow drive belt, rear sprocket, belt guard, front and rear tires and wheels, etc.

Easy job.

·
Fear The Reaper
1,152 Posts
I was under the impression the swingarm was narrower on the 180 setup. Guess I'm wrong.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Same swing arm. Got that info from the dealer. Reduces parts dependancies for the MoCo. The 180 has spacers. You should check with your dealer, but if Electro has a wheel/tire... that's a no brainier... Dont' want to speak for hm but you can always ask.... Try it - if it doesn't fit He'll probably take it back... (You'd pay shipping of course) :D

If you don't... I might try that one myself!

·
Jr. Lifetime Premium
357 Posts
nhbyter said:
Same swing arm. Got that info from the dealer. Reduces parts dependancies for the MoCo. The 180 has spacers. You should check with your dealer, but if Electro has a wheel/tire... that's a no brainier... Dont' want to speak for hm but you can always ask.... Try it - if it doesn't fit He'll probably take it back... (You'd pay shipping of course) :D

If you don't... I might try that one myself!
:them:

You do not need to change the swing arm. Just notch it by the brake and get a narrow belt.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have an artical about that around here somwhere. I'll see if I can find it and give the specifics...

Like they said, It is a very easy mod, and looks great. No handling suffering either...

·
Weight Weenie
452 Posts
bumblebee23 said:
You do not need to change the swing arm. Just notch it by the brake and get a narrow belt.

Wider tire + a narrower belt? Add some torque with that traction= broken belt. I dont think I would use the "custom chopper" approach to get a wider tire on a performance bike. IMHO stick with a 200 max, or get a proper setup.

T.

·
VRSCD
1,012 Posts
For '06 Ds there is a 240mm kit part # 43687-06

Fits '06 VRSCA and VRSCD models. All models require separate purchase of Wide Tire Installation Kit P/N 43818-06 (Domestic) or P/N 43816-06 (International). VRSCD models require separate purchase of Brake Line Kit P/N 46897-06.

For '07s and up this kit is not available because the D uses the same (wider) swingarm as the DX. I would be surprised if a dealer would not jump on the chance to swap a '07 or '08 to a 240. Easy money.

According to H-Ds own website the narrow belt is stronger than the wide belt.

·
Jeff/Modistrator
6,136 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I used...
On my 2006 "D" I changed from 180 to 240. Bought everything from Steve at V-mod. Took a couple of hours.

List of parts:

1. 240 tire
2. Widened rim
3. Narrow rear sprocket
4. Front sprocket from SE to move the narrow belt
5. Narrow belt
6. Spacers for front cover of belt drive
7. Upper and lower belt guards [I didn't use the lower guard]

Modifications I had to do:

I notched the swingarm where the rear brake caliper mounts.
Had to remove the saddle bag brkts.
Cut the rear inner fender back on the left and right to keep it from rubbing the tire.

Bolt everything together, check for rubbing and go for a ride.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I went with a 240mm rear as well while keeping the stock swingarm. Rides and handles as good as it did when I had the 180mm or the 200mm. Check out the budget 240mm thread for the specs.

The only glitch I had was I needed to have some spacers fabricated. I really wasn't a big deal and I the correct size was dialed in within a day.

Gotta love it!!!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
This mod has huge impact look's stock and it was a fun easy project. Hardest part is the pulley.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I got a 240 from a 08 AW. The problem is that up to 07 the axle was an imperial inch (25.4mm) and from 08 it joins the rest of the bike as ametric inch (25.0mm).

So I have axle, rear brake carrier and spacers on order.

Its a good time to clean all those crooks and nannies.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used...
On my 2006 "D" I changed from 180 to 240. Bought everything from Steve at V-mod. Took a couple of hours.

List of parts:

1. 240 tire
2. Widened rim
3. Narrow rear sprocket
4. Front sprocket from SE to move the narrow belt
5. Narrow belt
6. Spacers for front cover of belt drive
7. Upper and lower belt guards [I didn't use the lower guard]

Modifications I had to do:

I notched the swingarm where the rear brake caliper mounts.
Had to remove the saddle bag brkts.
Cut the rear inner fender back on the left and right to keep it from rubbing the tire.

Bolt everything together, check for rubbing and go for a ride.
What year/model factory wheel should I start looking for to get the parts together for the swap? Forgive any stupid questions I just bought my VROD last weekend after years of sportbikes so I'm new to all of this. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts