Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
A 240 on a 17 inch wheel aka a 9.4 inch tire bead on a 17inch wide wheel. Good luck with that, and enjoy not being able to corner as well.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
A 180 rear is about as wide as you want to go in back if you want the bike to turn. If you go much wider than that the bike wants to stand up all the time.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Not even close to the truth.
You aren't going to have a lot of fun on something like Mount Hamilton road or Nacimiento Ferguson Road west of Fort Hunter Liggett with a rear tire wider than a 180. That's why little skinny tired bikes like R-1100GS's and SV-650's rule the tight second gear roads and things like Ducati's and R-1's get eaten alive on these roads.
I'v seen enough egos on expensive big bore sport bikes fall to good riders on a bike with laughably narrow tires. While a Ducati is magic banked over skimming fairing panels at triple digit cornering speeds, slow them down to second gear and throw a bunch of quick transitions at them and they fall flat on their face. Different tools for different jobs.
I can tell you that going with a narrower rear tire on my Street Rod did wonders for the steering, particularly on tight roads. Now it is dead neutral where before you had to keep a bit of pressure on the bar to keep it turning.
You say I don't know anything but how much experience do you have riding tight mountain roads and on what kinds of bikes? I'm not exactly inexperienced, I've carved canyon roads on three continents.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
No doubt a set-up like those used on a road course has it's advantages but the modern sport tire 240 is way easy to maneuver and I find little handicap running it. Now the wide tires of the early 80's, which were car tires and flat as hell, those would prove you right, I ran a 200 Perelli radial off a Fiat for about 300 miles and tossed it. But today's 200- 240's are quite capable and nowhere near the detriment you labeled them...................as long as the rider is capable.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
radius x 2

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Back to my post, how does one stretch a 240 on a 17inch wide wheel when the bead is 9.1-9.4 inches when square?
I believe you are confused by his question....he wants to put a 240 tire on a 17 diameter wheel (he has Marchesini wheels from a Ducati on his bike). Problem is nobody makes a 240 tire for a 17" rim. All the sportbike guys that do 240 conversions either send their original wheel to places like Elrod suggested (Kosman) to have their original center section put into a 18" hoop or purchase an aftermarket 18" wheel. I know Buckeye826 had his Marchesini made into an 18" for the 240 conversion he did and it looks awesome :notworth:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts