Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK....I've been running stock v-mods for one year now and would like to have a different look and sound (especially at idle...looking for more rumble). I recently purchased the 16 gauges and would like to completely take out the baffles. What is your opinion on the sound and will it hurt my engine if I run this setup?
I currently have a power commander (will use map 17) with the SE air filter. I know that I can have them v-modded but would prefer not to at this time.

·
DuPage County
419 Posts
It seems like there are a lot of people that are having problems with the 16 Ga pipes if they are v-modded or baffles are removed. They keep complaining about flat spots along the power curve.

I want to get V-modded 16 Ga., but I am worried about the PC3 tuning, as I'm not sure anyone has gotten it perfect and 17 seems to be the closest.

I would like to hear from you 16 GA guys with and without baffles and V-mods.

Thanks,
C

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
I have the 16ga dbl barrel on my vrod, they are not modded and I like the performance and sound they give. Slight grumble at lower rpms but give it gas and they light up. I am running map 002 for my PCIIIr.

·
Ironbutt
886 Posts
I love mine, I have no problems at ala. I have a PCrIII and my dealer was lazy and tuned it half ass. So I downloaded map18 for my application and it runs great with no flat spots. I am still waiting until my fuel flange comes in so my dealer can spend so tuning time with it. The dyno jet map works great for me with no changes.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
As I have said before, I really like the stock 16ga SE's with the factory flash and air filter. No flat spots, no stalling. With a full face helmet, there is noticable droning (seems to get more noticable after a while, but maybe thats just my rock n roll damaged ears). Any louder and it would be a bother.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I also have the stock 16ga SE's, SE flash (part # 32065-02A) and SE air filter. Smooth power curve and no problems that I can confirm. Sometimes I think I hear/feel a very slight studdering as I roll through 4500RPM - but I have to do some testing without all of the gear on. It may just be my imagination. I ride two different bikes (V-Rod and Road King) and switching back and forth may just contribute to an over active imagination.

·
Registered
138 Posts
i thought the v-rod needed back preasure. or is that just the dealer not wanting me to mess with it? I took out the baffles and removed the fiberglass but put them right back in.

·
Registered
138 Posts
ezrider, the fiberglass will eventually burn out in a few thousand miles, i just hurried up the prosses alittle. If you look at the ends of your pipes (16 gauge DB) you'll probably see some strands comming out. It is alittle deeper rumble and you probably wouldn't notice the difference if you let them burn out on their own, gradually sounding better. performance is the same.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Yup. It gets better with age.

·
Registered
322 Posts

Here is my bike without baffles just a quick video, i didnt really get on it becuz police were watchin lol, PC V tuned custom from a friend at HD

1 - 11 of 11 Posts