Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
My kickstand's down?
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the brackets inside one of my 16 ga slip-ons has broken loose from its weld. I've talked to a couple of professional welders and they say there is no way to weld it back without discoloring the chrome on the outside.

Any ideas on how to reattach this bracket without discoloring the chrome?

·
Revolution02
3,978 Posts
Either weld them or buy new ones. I welded mine and they turned color also! One of the weld did atleast and it was my first one, the second one I turned the heat down and it didnt discolor it.

Id buy a new one bro! Sorry!

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Actually...now that I think about it, as much as I'd like to make a sale...the bracket is welded to the pipe and you don't see any of that once the heatshileds are back on....who cares if it discolors. Just weld it.

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
I think he's talking about the heat shield brackets, right? I had a few break too. I used a generous glob of JB weld to hold it. Did it last May and so far so good.

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
Yes, the welds that hold the brackets on for the hose clamps are 5hitty spot welds. On mine they were not located well on a few of the tabs and broke loose so the shields rattled.

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
The heat shields can be bought from Vance&Hines, HD discontinued them. They don't have the Screaming Eagle on them though. The brackets - I doubt it. If they come loose, JB weld them. If the JB weld comes loose it will be form fitted to the shield so a high temp, high strength 2 part epoxy will hold the JB weld to the shield. I figure that that's what I'll do when/if the JB weld comes loose from mine. I'm going to switch my baffles back to stock next week, so when I get them apart I'll post a pic of what I mean.

·
My kickstand's down?
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pondo said:
I think he's talking about the heat shield brackets, right? I had a few break too. I used a generous glob of JB weld to hold it. Did it last May and so far so good.
Pardon my ignorance but what is JB weld?

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Just call vance and hines. There have been several members here who have had the same problem. They are not the same as the V and H pipes but they where the original manufacturer I think. Anyway they can provide you with replacement parts however if it is the upper heat sheild it will not say screaming eagle on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine broke, I have SE's. I lowered the heat, welded it. Showed slight discoloration but I buffed it off with chrome polish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts