Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
DARK KNIGHT
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup , today I filled up my tank and when I turned it on, my remaining miles read 157. I thought wow. and I went 90 miles and still have 47 miles to go.so that only equals 137 . so it teased me by 20 miles. anyone else get this after filling up.

·
Registered
878 Posts
blazrdude said:
Yup , today I filled up my tank and when I turned it on, my remaining miles read 157. I thought wow. and I went 90 miles and still have 47 miles to go.so that only equals 137 . so it teased me by 20 miles. anyone else get this after filling up.
That miles to empty gage sucks!! Lies to me all the time.........

·
Skunked 2003 VRSCA
92 Posts
I think I saw remaining 138 once after a fill up. I never see more than 110 actual but then I'm not doing long rides. :mad: Need to find some local 150-200mi rides soon!

·
Not in EP anymore
1,693 Posts
It is never accurate. It gives you the estimated miles remaining according the current fuel consumption on the time.

To accurately figure it out take you average mpg and multiple it by 3.4 (that's the useable on stock tank). FWIW I've seen all the way up to 196 remaining and that's after driving 20 miles. When it was all said and done I made it 170 before filling up - trick tank

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
I went 110 and put 3.38gal in. The only way you would get 157 is if you coasted down hill for 50 miles. :D

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
I don't have to look for a gas station until 150miles. I did 168 miles and still only put in 4.2 gallons. I figure I had 12 or so miles left before push time.:D

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
rjrivero said:
I don't have to look for a gas station until 150miles. I did 168 miles and still only put in 4.2 gallons. I figure I had 12 or so miles left before push time.:D
me too......sure love my 5 gallon tank on my DX.

·
I'm With Stupid
966 Posts
My low fuel light comes on at appx 60 miles. Being the chicken shit that I am I always gas up before 80 miles. Never put in more than 2.3 gallons though. Maybe I'll get braver as time goes by but I'd hate to ruin my record of never running out gas EVER, car or bike.

·
Ist mir scheiss egal
496 Posts
LOL, yesterday my Fiane' and I went for a poker run. We had a really long stretch of downhill, so I pulled in the clutch and just coasted. My remain went up to 198! I love doing that and watching the remain climb.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I just got 132 miles out of my 3.7 gal tank. When I filled the tank, it said 143 until empty. Ran it fairly conservatively, mostly highway and got to 132 miles. I got scared after it started reading "low" but was only able to put 3.4 back in.

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
ptschuma said:
I just got 132 miles out of my 3.7 gal tank. When I filled the tank, it said 143 until empty. Ran it fairly conservatively, mostly highway and got to 132 miles. I got scared after it started reading "low" but was only able to put 3.4 back in.

If you put 3.4 in that means you were dead empty. The stock 3.7 only has 3.4 usable space once you take into account the fuel sender and other goodies they stuff in there.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I get around 110-120 out of my tank before the light goes on, but evertime I fill up I only put about 3.8 gallons in. I'd like to risk it and just go for another 20-30 miles but I'm too lazy.

·
Registered
259 Posts
DX fuel tank size

chrome said:
me too......sure love my 5 gallon tank on my DX.
I'm sure all DXs have the same size tank weather they were built for Europe or the home market, "US" use.

Over here, mine regulary tells me I have 350 kms to empty, divide by 1,64 = 213 miles.
You say you have a 5 gallon tank on your DX = 20 literes, but I thought they only had 17 litres which means it's even more ecomonical.
Mind you, I'm probably not driving it as hard as you guys, and at the moment, it's completly stock.

If you've tuned your bike to get more out of it, It's normal that it's going to drink more.
But like me, you probably hate stopping to fill up with gas.

That "Rick's" tank is the same as a standard DX isn't it????

Rob.:) :moped:

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
1,072 Posts
ptschuma said:
I've yet to put even 3.0 gals in with the gauge needle on the "E". I can go about 110 miles to "E" and stick in approximately 2.8 gallons. If you put in 3.4 gals - you must have been just about bone dry. The gas guage/sending unit on the V-Rod is a :stac: . Set the A trip odometer and fill up around 100 to 115 miles.

·
Nate
3,277 Posts
gstern75 said:
That miles to empty gage sucks!! Lies to me all the time.........
:them: I don't even look at it, it's worthless. Reset trip odometer at fill-up, then start looking for gas @ 100 miles.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
ptschuma said:
Vrod-Mike said:
If you put 3.4 in that means you were dead empty. The stock 3.7 only has 3.4 usable space once you take into account the fuel sender and other goodies they stuff in there.
+1 That's the max for that bitty tank.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts