1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
Change Oil, plugs, tighten, Lube things...drive on

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
Depends on how handy you are. (no sh^t) :D Do you plan on doing the prescribed valve lash check/adjustment? You can change the oil and filter, check the critical fasteners, inspect the soft parts like tires and belts, etc. Take a look at your brake and clutch fluids. Etc., etc.

If you ride hard, it's probably time for the valve lash check. If not, it can wait, unless you are getting some indication (like noise). It does take a bit more dedication to do than oil changing, but can be done by the layman.

Don't forget to do a fall-away check, and take a look at your brake pads.

·
Smokebomb King
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only thing (mechanically) that i have really done myself is change the oil. As far as i know the plugs have never been changed, nor has the fall away been checked. I do ride hard for the most part, but havent noticed any noises at all. Im going to need new tires this year, so i already know that. What might I expect to pay to have this stuff done??

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Check out the videos in my Sig.

You can do it...after the first time it is easy.

Pay nothing...get someone from your area to help out...make a day of it...

What is riding hard for you? Are you up riding over 100mph? Just asking!!

rod

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
The only thing (mechanically) that i have really done myself is change the oil. As far as i know the plugs have never been changed, nor has the fall away been checked. I do ride hard for the most part, but havent noticed any noises at all. Im going to need new tires this year, so i already know that. What might I expect to pay to have this stuff done??
You're probably looking at 6 hours or more if the shop does the lash check.

·
Premium Member
11,304 Posts
You're probably looking at 6 hours or more if the shop does the lash check.
I had a dealer quote me 3 hours. I won't be going there for V-Rod service any time soon. It takes that long to get the cam covers off.

They also said they hadn't worked on a V-Rod in months.

·
TURBONATOR
1,366 Posts
I just did my first lash with little help @ 21000 mi. and they were in spec. Like RSC said, after the first one it won't be so bad next time.
By majority from what i have seen, reports on lash being out of spec under 20000 mi. is not to common but it can happen, it's your bike and your going to have to do what ever you feel comfortable with.

·
Yooper/Geek
745 Posts
I just got told 6-7 hours for the check, too.

I'll do it myself. I've already had to replace the (large) gasket on the front cam cover after it started leaking. I should have just done the whole thing when I had it open.

Which gets me thinking - there was grey silicone sealer in the slot that the gasket fit into when I had it off. They don't come from the factory that way, do they? Maybe somebody actually did the lash at 12000 after all...

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
If you're going to have the valve lash check done, toss in a set of the new SE Stage II Cams and get a tune. It's well worth the additional investment IMHO, at least if you already have a tuner of some sort. There is very little if any extra labor involved.

They are a REAL kick in the pants Lou.

·
It's Only Money
1,321 Posts
I'm coming to the 15k mark myself. I did the 10k service per the book myself. I know-- real tough -- oil and plug change. I plan to do everything for the 15k except the lash check. I'm assuming that I should have the lash work done then change the oil. Does that make sense? The bike has the extended warrenty and I don't want to give them any ammo not pay for something if I don't follow the maintenance schedule, so I guess that I'll have our friends at Gulf Coast do the lash work. I wish I had the cash to do the cam deal, but my mod budget is zip and it will be a push to just pay for the lash work.

·
Smokebomb King
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I called my local dealer and he quoted me about $300 for the service. Seems like a lot to me, but I’m not sure? The cams are a good idea, but a few questions: 1. Can I do the cams even though I only have a PC3? 2. How much do the cams run? 3. What kind of gains can be expected from them?? Thanks for all the input guys.

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
I called my local dealer and he quoted me about $300 for the service. Seems like a lot to me, but I’m not sure? The cams are a good idea, but a few questions: 1. Can I do the cams even though I only have a PC3? 2. How much do the cams run? 3. What kind of gains can be expected from them?? Thanks for all the input guys.
1) Yes, I can't see any reason why not.
2) Part # 30076-09, $500 - Chicago HD was giving 20% off when I bought them, so $400 NET.
3) I saw 16HP over a previously tuned, Powerlined and SE Air filtered that was producing 110 HP at the wheel (now getting 126 HP and you can really notice the difference).

If you go the cams route, toss the stacks that come in the kit and have it tuned with the stock velocity stacks. They gave much better power results.

$300 seems to be a pretty popular number, there's a fair amount of labor to do the valve lash check, which is why you should do the cams if you have the scratch - no extra labor involved.

EDIT: Don't let them tell you they won't fit if you have an 1130 motor - that's BS and they will fit and work just fine.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
$300.00 sounds a little light to me, but I don't know their hourly rate. The cams are $500.00 list, $400.00 online. I don't know of anyone running them with the PCIII, the SEPST map for the cams has a lot of timing changes on top of VE/fuel changes. The cams have been coming close to a 20 HP increase with a lot of tuning tweaking.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
1) Yes, I can't see any reason why not.
2) Part # 30079-09, $500 - Chicago HD was giving 20% off when I bought them, so $400 NET.
3) I saw 16HP over a previously tuned, Powerlined and SE Air filtered that was producing 110 HP at the wheel (now getting 126 HP and you can really notice the difference).

If you go the cams route, toss the stacks that come in the kit and have it tuned with the stock velocity stacks. They gave much better power results.

$300 seems to be a pretty popular number, there's a fair amount of labor to do the valve lash check, which is why you should do the cams if you have the scratch - no extra labor involved.

EDIT: Don't let them tell you they won't fit if you have an 1130 motor - that's BS and they will fit and work just fine.
Pete, the part number for the kit is 30076-09. Probably a typo. That kit comes with an SE air filter also, Lou.

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
Yep, I fat fingered the Part #, fixed it now, thanks Bobbo

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
I'm not sure about that Lou. I think you can get the fuel pretty zero-ed in with the PC III -even though you can't make the timing changes they aren't terribly radical and you might leave a couple of HP on the table, but I believe a competent tuner could get that PC III singing with the cams.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts