Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As announced some times ago, now I start building the new engine for my Gulf bike.
I will use some own designed and manufactured parts:

# light weight crank (81.5 mm stroke) made from high strength (1400 Mpa) ultra clean nitriding steel.
# second gear made from 16NCD13 Q6 grinded
# bed plate for crankase stiffening, made from 7075 T6
# M12 inconel main studs
# replacement balancing shaft for crancase stiffening
# ported cylinder heads, which flows 10% better at 12.5 mm lift and 18% better at 16.25 mm lift
# high lift cams with clamping cone for full flexibility in timing
# DLC coated lifters
# M12 inconel head studs

It will take about two additional month assembling the engine and get it running. I will post some news from time to time.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Would you wish to elaborate more on; Balancing shaft Clamping cone on cam porting ( I like the golf ball treatment) second gear ( offering any of this for sale ?) Thx

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some of the parts and modification like 2. gear, girdl, crankcase mod you could already find on the webpage: holy-moto.com
Some other parts like head porting, balance shaft replacement we could talk about selling via PM.
Parts like cams and crank I want to test first, before selling.

·
all or nothing
1,372 Posts
Nice pieces.
You have to be deep in CAD-CAM industry.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Three things:

1) I assume you meant 140 MPA, not 1,400 MPA, correct?

2) Why the golf ball treatment in the heads? The dimples on golf balls is to produce a boundary layer separation. Every single piece of research I've seen points to laminar flow as being superior to turbulent when it comes to the amount of air moved.

3) If you need any help doing 3D modeling, FEA, etc, let me know. I've done a lot of work with SolidWorks and have a license.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1.: 1400 Mpa = 1400 N/mm2 tensile strength
2.: It`s a test on my own engine to find out if it helps
3.: Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
1.: 1400 Mpa = 1400 N/mm2 tensile strength
2.: It`s a test on my own engine to find out if it helps
3.: Thanks
Brain fart. I was thinking in PSI, not pascals. 140 KSI is pretty high, 1,400 is unheard of. Totally missed the unit hahaha.

If you're boosting, depending on how much psi you're planning on running, I've seen better results with making the intake and exhaust as large as possible rather than going for smooth flow. In pressurized conditions, laminar flow becomes less of a concern because turbulent conditions coincide with pressure drop, something that really can't happen when you're in boost. You might suffer in off boost conditions though.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts