Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two months and 2500 miles on my Eagle built 1430cc big bore! I'd have a lot more but was in Las Vegas for two weeks trying to win enough money for a Destroyer. I know there was some concern about reliability on the bigger big bores but the only problem I've experienced was clutch slippage and that was cured. Won my first dyno shootout with it shortly after riding it home. The numbers were approximately 149.8 HP and 103 ft-lbs. torque. About half of the air-cooled riders standing there said HOLY-SHIT at the same time!!!!!---I've been hammering the throttle on this bike since I got it home; the bike loves it!----I would note it has the welded crank.--------------One final note: A massage at the Bellagio Spa does wonders for that neck strain experienced during take-offs on a BB V-rod!!

·
Frank
4,319 Posts
Randyc said:
What does a conversion like this cost?
Should be $7000 or so.

But I'll sell you mine (which won the open class in the 1130CC Virtual Bike Show) for $25000. Heck I will even throw in all of the trophies it has won over the past couple years!

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're correct Frank!-7 grand

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Congrats, Lucky! I know where there is a brand new Destroyer with your name on it...

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
buy a big bore 1250 cvo kit for around 1000 from someone, buy a stroker crank and stroker rods, and your set for around 3-4 grand..

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
What does it do for vibration?

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
nightrod81 said:
buy a big bore 1250 cvo kit for around 1000 from someone, buy a stroker crank and stroker rods, and your set for around 3-4 grand..
You plan on doing your own work? 'Cause that's the only way you're going to even come close. I've already got a 1250 kit and 58mm TBs and I'm pulling and tuning my own engine - the quotes I've gotten from builders is that I'll need about another $5k on top of that (crank, rods, cams, studs, machining, labor). I'd be very curious to see your $3-$4k build sheet and breakdown.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
nightrod81 said:
This would get a 1350. The 1430 uses a 4.25" bore not the 4.13" of the 1250 kit.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
nightrod81 said:
your set for around 3-4 grand..
Let's see (ballpark):

Weldup crank: $495
Rods: $299 each
Megacycle Cams: $700 plus core
Springs (Jones): $280
Lower studs: $150
Upper studs $275
Pinning case$ $150
Clutch: $148
100# clutch springs: $15

So far, we're talking $2811 in parts. This assumes you already have a 58mm TB ($250 - $450), SERT ($400), and a 1250 kit ($$ ?).

What about labor? Ballpark, about $1500 for the build, another $475 to R&R the engine, $400 for a tune.

This is for a nice 1350 build. Now, there are ways to scrounge and save and cut corners, but these are real numbers. I'd love to see how you're planning a $3k build - maybe I'm missing something.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Steppenwolf said:
Let's see (ballpark):

Weldup crank: $495
Rods: $299 each
Megacycle Cams: $700 plus core
Springs (Jones): $280
Lower studs: $150
Upper studs $275
Pinning case$ $150
Clutch: $148
110# clutch springs: $15

So far, we're talking $2811 in parts. This assumes you already have a 58mm TB ($250 - $450), SERT ($400), and a 1250 kit ($$ ?).

What about labor? Ballpark, about $1500 for the build, another $475 to R&R the engine, $400 for a tune.

This is for a nice 1350 build. Now, there are ways to scrounge and save and cut corners, but these are real numbers. I'd love to see how you're planning a $3k build - maybe I'm missing something.
Here is a quick breakdown of my plans as of right now. Some is purchased some is waiting for $$$. This will be done this winter.

Kit: SE 1250 Kit $875
Crankshaft: Falicon Reweld 1/4” $595
Rods: Stock FREE
Pistons: CP M5078 $276
Cams: Mike Jones from forum store $600 (no core)
Springs: Mike Jones from forum store $280
TB: V-Mod bore to 58mm $295
Exhaust: Rinehart 2-in-1 $475
Labor: Bare Hands FREE
Misc Parts: Bearings, Sealants, Nuts, Bolts, Shims, etc. $500-ish ballpark

Total for the above is $3896. Includes all major parts including 1250 kit and exhaust.

Now I did do some money savings things like custom pistons instead of rods but it you choose to do rods you can get them a $450/set. With that said I may end up going with aftermarket rods for the sole reason of weight savings depending on cashflow at that time. I also purchased some random stock parts for core and exchange reason to save time such as a crank, TB, cams, etc all for under $100 combined.

Studs are not entirely necessary. If I do studs they will be stock size so no additonal machining will be necessary. Pinning is another thing that is not necessary and I feel is over-rated. I think it has been the cranks used that are causing the issues that make people think pinning is needed.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Thanks for posting that Ken - I'm debating the Jones versus Megacycles cams (CR). Also agree with you on the studs - though want to have the crank and cases pinned. I passed on the CP piston group buy and kind of regret it - but that forces me to buy new rods. And though I can R&R the engine myself and tune it (VRFI-D), I don't have the time, space, or skills to do the engine internals.

You did leave out the SERT and tune. And as far as the case machining - who is going to send that in for you? I've understood it HAS to be a dealership.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Steppenwolf said:
Thanks for posting that Ken - I'm debating the Jones versus Megacycles cams (CR). Also agree with you on the studs - though want to have the crank and cases pinned. I passed on the CP piston group buy and kind of regret it - but that forces me to buy new rods. And though I can R&R the engine myself and tune it (VRFI-D), I don't have the time, space, or skills to do the engine internals.

You did leave out the SERT and tune. And as far as the case machining - who is going to send that in for you? I've understood it HAS to be a dealership.
I do already have a SERT that I got for $360 back in 04 I believe. I will not be using it however, I am getting a VRFI-D/WEGO and will be using it to tune (no cost on either). Obviously, not going to be the case for everyone.

For the case machining, the locals shops around here have said they will do it if I share some V-Rod knowledge with them and I also have a backup plan if this does not work.

For your rods, look around. V&H does Carillo rods for $450 a set. Other places can also do pricing similar to this. You can save yourself $150 right there. Also, check with CP on the pistons. They may work with you as they are now a shelf stocked piston and my spec sheet that came with them says 18 were produced.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Thanks again, Ken - I may check with CP on the pistons, though even at the group buy price, I'm not sure it's worth it to me as I'm committed to getting new rods either way. Appreciate the V&H tip on carillos - I've pulled prices from Eagle, though there are oterh places I'm considering for my build. And with the VRFID, I'm hoping to start with a map from Mike (Elgavilian) or Vinny and tweak from there.

I appreciate the input - but the original point still stands: building a 1350 for $3-$4k is bit of a pipe dream - for the average Joe, $5 - $6k is a lot closer to the truth, and that assumes finding a cheap BB kit. Given those realities, a 1430 becomes a reasonable alternative build - it is a few more $$ but provides a few more ponies.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Steppenwolf said:
Thanks again, Ken - I may check with CP on the pistons, though even at the group buy price, I'm not sure it's worth it to me as I'm committed to getting new rods either way. Appreciate the V&H tip on carillos - I've pulled prices from Eagle, though there are oterh places I'm considering for my build. And with the VRFID, I'm hoping to start with a map from Mike (Elgavilian) or Vinny and tweak from there.

I appreciate the input - but the original point still stands: building a 1350 for $3-$4k is bit of a pipe dream - for the average Joe, $5 - $6k is a lot closer to the truth, and that assumes finding a cheap BB kit. Given those realities, a 1430 becomes a reasonable alternative build - it is a few more $$ but provides a few more ponies.
No, not at all. I think a 1350 for under $4K is completely doable and close to $3K is even possible. Take my previous list and make a couple changes.

Cams: SE Come in 1250 kit
Springs: SE Come in 1250 kit
TB: Stock
Exhaust: Stock with self-mod
Misc Parts: Bearings, Sealants, Nuts, Bolts, Shims, etc. $500-ish ballpark if that. Most likely less.
SERT: $400

Total for the above would be $2646. Includes all major parts including 1250 kit and exhaust. YES, I know it will not make 145hp but you will have a 1350 that you can always add cams, exhaust, etc to down the road as the wallet permits.

Some people will also have the kit they paid less for and maybe get the crank for $495. There are tons of ways to save $ on these builds if you have the time and patience to do it. Maybe they will have to get rods like you so it would be a little more there but you get the idea.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
o2man98 said:
No, not at all. I think a 1350 for under $4K is completely doable and close to $3K is even possible.
Fair enough, Ken. I stand corrected - though very few people (even here) are going to have the knowledge and be willing and able to do the work themselves, and as you mention, that is a D.I.Y. bare-bones build and tune. And good luck to anyone trying to find a 1250 kit for $875.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Parts Only

The price I quoted was for parts only but that was for everything including $1950 for new heads. There was 40 hours of labor including 6 hours on the dyno. Not cheap but IMHO, it was done right. No complaints!!!!!!!:D :D :D

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
o2man98 said:
No, not at all. I think a 1350 for under $4K is completely doable and close to $3K is even possible. Take my previous list and make a couple changes.

Cams: SE Come in 1250 kit
Springs: SE Come in 1250 kit
TB: Stock
Exhaust: Stock with self-mod
Misc Parts: Bearings, Sealants, Nuts, Bolts, Shims, etc. $500-ish ballpark if that. Most likely less.
SERT: $400

Total for the above would be $2646. Includes all major parts including 1250 kit and exhaust. YES, I know it will not make 145hp but you will have a 1350 that you can always add cams, exhaust, etc to down the road as the wallet permits.

Some people will also have the kit they paid less for and maybe get the crank for $495. There are tons of ways to save $ on these builds if you have the time and patience to do it. Maybe they will have to get rods like you so it would be a little more there but you get the idea.

thank you. for breaking that down for me man.. i was going to do that exact setup, but opted for a few other goodies and such, so mine went way way up.. but like i said 2-3 grand..

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
nightrod81 said:
thank you. for breaking that down for me man.. i was going to do that exact setup, but opted for a few other goodies and such, so mine went way way up.. but like i said 2-3 grand..
Could you break down your build? Who's doing the labor? Who is tuning? At first you said $3-$4k, now it's $2-$3k... sure I can tell you how to do it for even less - forge your own pistons, crank, and cams... ta-da! A $1k build.

Somebody asked a question on costs - I broke down a 'bulletproof' build and labor, o2man98 broke down two different builds - neither of which include labor, since he's going to build it himself :notworth:

You jumped in on the thread and told RandyD he could have a 1350 for $3-4k - and then later in the same thread said $2-3k but yours 'went way way up'. Lets stick to reality - how does your build break down?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts