Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 VRSCDX with Vance and hines competition series pipes, SE stage II cam kit, and a PCV why did I dyno at 112 rwhp?

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Do you have a baseline of what the bike dyno'ed at before the Cam's ?

I don't have any info for you but and curious as I just received my cam's and was planning on doing this upgrade in the next few weeks.

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
You should be getting much more than that, IMHO. I know from talking with others that have done this that they had trouble tuning the setup with the PCV. Plus, all dyno's are different and no 2 dyno's will report the same data.

·
Fitzy - 1302
1,083 Posts
I've seen 128 with the same setup but with the SERT. Conservative dyno? You can fine tune with a sert.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dealer did have troubling tuning and they also said their dyno is conservative. But I think it is running rich since my exhaust smells of pure gasoline.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I'd assume that number with your set up WITHOUT the cams. There should be about 10 more horsepower there with them.

But. The number doesn't really mean anything. If it runs good and strong, and clean then don't sweat a number too much. You could probably take it to every dyno in town and eventually get one to throw you a number you like.

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
Check out the current issue of Hot Rod Mag, they have a long article on chasing dyno
numbers. They took a Super Snake to 5 or 6 different shops and got numbers all over the place, sometimes on the same dyno. My bike, a stock 1130 with a CFR K&N and PC3 with a custom dyno map made 117.9 hp then only made 107.* at the dyno shoot out at the KC rally. Like stated above, it is about how it runs and "smells" that matters. If you smell gas something is definetly wrong. Finding a good tuner is tough.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am having it re-tuned at a local Power Commander certified shop on the 27th and at about half of what HD charged me to half ass it. I will let you guys know the outcome and go from there. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
When I was trying to run the PCV with my stage 2 cams it was throwing tons of gas between 3000-5500. When I switched to the Super Tuner and got it tuned right it picked up about 8 horse power..

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have the 1130cc with v+h comp pipe and stage 2 cams all tuned with a pcIII and it made 124.7hp on the same dyne that it previously spun up only 102 stock so 112 on a 1250 is a small number but as others have stated it depends how it feels..

·
Rob
85 Posts
Mines at 129 bhp at rear with stage 11 cams,V H pipes super tuner,filter have posted dyno reading in a previous thread,112 to 115bhp was my reading before cams and opening up more air intake,had Tuner pipes and filter then,now the power comes on alot stronger after 5/6000 rpm with new cams

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
i am having it re-tuned at a local power commander certified shop on the 27th and at about half of what hd charged me to half ass it. I will let you guys know the outcome and go from there. Thanks.
any updates? :popcorn:

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
K&N Topless, V&H Slipons, TMax - was 116HP before cams. Cams, Heads, 58mm TB and SEPST tune got me up to 139.

So if I was 116 with just cans & aircleaner, you realistically should be around 128 with cams and a good tune (going off a friends '11 DX bike with same pipes, aircleaner and stage II cams, with sert tune)...

Dealers don't really know how to tune well with pretty much anything other than SERT/SEPST - and based on my experience with PCV, Thundermax and SEPST, you're probably better off with the HD tuner ANYWAY.

Rick

I hope you are running topless with that setup, she needs to breathe.
Actually, stage II cam kit is recommended for topless, has a template to drill holes in the bottom cover and a grommet to relocate the IAT sensor in the front of the bottom cover.

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
how much did the cams cost you? what is the best cams for an 08dxa?

·
Registered
276 Posts
find another dealer. Seems like your tune is way off.
I would agree. The Sert is a good unit but they require someone that can has the knowledge to tune them. Trask is very good with them for example, on ther other hand I have a couple of other friends with shops that are honest enough to admit they can't do them justice and send customers elsewhere.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Still the same. Adding a Super tuner, big bore throttle bodies, and destroyer injectors. Getting it done in Jacksonville.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have an 08 dx topless with v&h outlaw. pcIII with the rihnehart download" weird i know but works" pulled 111hp. with out cams. im wanting to do cams also . harley dealer here also had tune out of wack. got a freind to help with the download and air fuel mix dead on with rhinehart set up.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts