Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Does anyone knows what i need to put the SE motor in a Street Rod. Do I need new throttlebody, injectors, ecm etc

Thanks for any answer, and sorry if my english is bad :D

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
:vrodforu: I'm sure Tyson or Ray can answer this question more accurately (they both work at the factory), but there may have been a swingarm change. Also the '08's use an O2 sensor. As long as it uses the same case (I heard a rumor that the cases may be bigger) then I'd assume you can use your exhaust and ECM and just by a Race Tuner. This would allow you to tune the engine or you could by a VRFi-D and that would replace the factory ECM. I don't think it's worth the aggravation for an extra 10 HP unless you're getting a really good deal.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
The injectors and throttle body are the same. The difference is the flash on the ecm. I have ridden a couple of dozen now 1250's and honestly can't tell the difference in how they feel. It might be a little more torque but not enough to make any kind of noticeable difference. So if your changing just for the size you might re-think it and spend your money other places. If you have a bad motor and a chance to get a 1250 then it will work fine if you get a race tuner to flash the bike.

·
Bone Stock B Model
8,639 Posts
Max said:
The injectors and throttle body are the same. The difference is the flash on the ecm. I have ridden a couple of dozen now 1250's and honestly can't tell the difference in how they feel. It might be a little more torque but not enough to make any kind of noticeable difference. So if your changing just for the size you might re-think it and spend your money other places. If you have a bad motor and a chance to get a 1250 then it will work fine if you get a race tuner to flash the bike.

Exactly what Max said, I wouldnt run out and buy a 1250 to replace my stock motor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The old motor is broken. Supercharger was not the way to go :-(
I have the 1250 motor in the shop, so all I needed to know was if it would fit without big modifications. Thanks for the answers so far!

·
MISSISSIPPI KID
1,352 Posts
Cak I hate to hear that

Sorry to hear that the motor was shot by the SC. Was it the SPrintex VH? I seen I lot of problems so far...I was glad I went with the Trask Turbo system and since I put 8.000 miles on the turbo rod I can safley say the kinks are worked out! I think the mods have been done on this set up :moped: 1250 with several members whom will chime in soon, Hang tough Bro! jeb

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
Cakkadue said:
The old motor is broken. Supercharger was not the way to go :-(
I have the 1250 motor in the shop, so all I needed to know was if it would fit without big modifications. Thanks for the answers so far!
As Max stated, the only difference is the ecm flash. You can find a 1250 ecm or maybe have a dealer flash your current ecm to the 1250 specs.

·
Bone Stock B Model
8,639 Posts
To my knowledge they haven't changed the motor mounts so you should be good to go. As others have said, you should get a race-tuner or something comparable so it will run correctly.

What happened with your super charger? Did Sprintex take care of you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, there were some driveability issues with the sprintex. Problems with idle, surging/hesitation when applying throttle and troublecodes. There were even problems with engine knocking and the motor running hot. Eventualy the piston/lining in the front cylinder craked. The crankcase is also garbage. Sprintex told me they never had any problems, and that this wasnt a waranty issue. I suspect the electronic waterpump doesn't have enough capasity (does anyone knows if it increase speed/flow with RPM or if it is constant?)

Anyway, it was fun while it lasted :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts