Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Fisher of Men
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't believe that I was blessed with two warnings on the same day!

I was running late to work & running the V hard when I looked in my mirror and saw red & blue lights. The officer asked me if I knew how fast he had to go to catch up to me? I replied no and he said 125 and that is too Da__ fast!
He went on to say he does not like driving that fast, however he let me go with a warning.

Later that night on my way home from work I was caught in the rain and was trying to take it easy. However as luck would have it a cager was in front of me and could not maintain his speed. I almost ran up his rear bumper several times. I could not get in the other lane do to other slow moving traffic.

When the traffic cleared in the right lane enough I nailed the gas and went around the troublesome cager. Sure enough when I looked in my mirrors about a mile later, I saw the red and blue's again! This officer said he clocked me at 87 mph. I apologized and explained about the power of this bike and that I was just trying to get home safely. He gave me a written warning and asked me to be more "aware" of the power in my machine! Then stated nice bike!

Gotta love this bike but she can shure get ya in trouble quick!

God Bless & Ride Safe, JC

·
Ricky Love MooreHead
1,440 Posts
These damn bikes will do over 100 without even trying..... Be careful, we already know your lucky..

·
LOS ANGELES
1,757 Posts
It's too early in the month to meet their quota.. :) You got away easy.

·
Kaboom
4,336 Posts
very cool!!!
common sense and a sense of brotherhood/sisterhood sometimes wins the day.
But yeah........125 is stretching it........Great LEO

·
Deputy Rally Rouser
1,795 Posts
Dang--after more than a decade without a ticket or even a warning, in the last year I've been written up TWICE for going a measly 10mph over (45 in 35). Piss-ant, chicken$#it little burgs that call themselves cities and "own" a two-block section of a main thoroughfare here in the KC area and use 'em as revenue enhancers. Arrrrrggghhh.:soapbox:

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Had my 1st service on the 1098 and the guys asked me how my Harley was? I said it seems sluggish and doesn't have the throttle response it used to. It is hard to stop and feels heavy but is really comfortable. They just laughed; I just let off the 1098 at around 116 mph before shifting to 3rd when I do get on it. Had a cop turn on his lights and point me over at 65 in a 30 but I wasn’t sure he meant me so I didn’t stop.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
louballs said:
Wow 125!!!!!!!!!! You're lucky you're still allowed to drive. Crazy stuff.
The cop said he had to go 125 to catch up, not that he clocked him at 125. The reason he got the warning was probably because the cop didn't clock him at all, he just saw him going faster than traffic and gave chase. He can't write a ticket if he doesn't have proof of speed, either pacing, vascar or radar. If he had been able to clock him I'm betting he would have a ticket and not a warning.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
mjw930 said:
The cop said he had to go 125 to catch up, not that he clocked him at 125. The reason he got the warning was probably because the cop didn't clock him at all, he just saw him going faster than traffic and gave chase. He can't write a ticket if he doesn't have proof of speed, either pacing, vascar or radar. If he had been able to clock him I'm betting he would have a ticket and not a warning.

yeah. he just could tell he was going fast,but who knows
my ( hand ) rest at 85 now

·
Registered
70 Posts
Today was........

your Lucky day. Two in one day huh?? Ohhh and the Quota comment......Quotas are nothing but a myth. I do not know of a agency in the Country who has a "Quota" for LEO's If he wanted to write you a citation he would have simple as that. At that speed he could have taken you to jail for reckless driveing. I bet you had a good attitude and did not act like a jerk :) A good attitude goes a long ways. Take care

·
Registered
546 Posts
just a word about warnings, they keep tabs on those, so if you are stopped again any time soon, they will hammer you.

·
Fisher of Men
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All comments are well taken! For the record I do not make it a habbit of driving this way. I have a deep felt respect for what all LEO's have to put up with for a living.

I always respect the uniform first. Only if & when the person behind the uniform acts disrespectfuly will I change my attitude. I was VERY humble and thankful for the warnings. In fact I even parked my V for the last two days as a way of self-imposed punishmet! Lol.....

As far as the post about reckless driving; he told me as much, "you know that I could take you in for reckless driving at the speed you were going and the way you passed those people!"

To both officers I apologized and told them that I meant no disrespect and that they had my word that I would not dis-honor them by driving like that again. (dont know what got into me......)

I posted this due to being blessed and wanted others not to be encouraged by what I was doing, but to learn from my mistake and hopefully avoid any such encounter with the LEO's.

God Bless & Ride Safe, JC

·
Registered
479 Posts
Panman said:
Had my 1st service on the 1098 and the guys asked me how my Harley was? I said it seems sluggish and doesn't have the throttle response it used to. It is hard to stop and feels heavy but is really comfortable. They just laughed; I just let off the 1098 at around 116 mph before shifting to 3rd when I do get on it. Had a cop turn on his lights and point me over at 65 in a 30 but I wasn’t sure he meant me so I didn’t stop.
haha i feel the same way after riding my r1 i picked up. but i do like the comfyness and the smooth shifting of the vrod

·
Dances with Rain!
3,713 Posts
WOW, 125mph. New hair doo time and great way to pick up some extra protein and force it down.
You are either lucky or just plain invisible. Arond these parts, you'd never be heard from again. And the cops would you be using my scooter to chase the other V-Rodders!!
Jim

·
GA. BOY
2,462 Posts
good deal!!!

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
you need to go buy a few lottery tickets

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
You gotta tell me which LEO, choosing from the 5 different agencies, and where you were at.... I drive my work truck around Austin all day and rarely see people drive off with a smile of satisfaction..... Did I say, "I am with the government and I am here to help you."???

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Ahh yes.. Texas... where the size of the town is inversely proportional to the odds of getting a ticket.

Mine was just at the speed transition into the north side of Marble Falls. They just loved my out of state license. #$%

·
Registered
260 Posts
years ago a cop pulled me over for doing 65 in a 55 zone.....he jumped out of the car and started kicking my bike and yelling at me to slow down and this was out in the country away from everything.kept me for 20 minutes on the side of the road and gave me a ticket. cost me 150 bucks and points. my cops hate bikes

1 - 20 of 34 Posts