Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just purchase my first Harley, and to my disappointment, they will not sell an individual the abs system. they will only let service order and install it, which I think is utter BS. Now regretting buying something that Harley won't even allow me to work on. Granted the wife and I love the bike so far. But wow, $430 for the part and even more to install and bleed the system.

part # 40664-08A

Also the side radiator covers.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Probably won't sell it for liability reasons. Don't blame Harley, if you wanted ABS you should have bought a bike with it installed. As far as the price of the part, that's what it is. I'm sure that Harley didn't force you to buy the bike. Ride it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well to start off my bike did come with abs. My problem with the part is, if I wanted to spend my money to buy the part myself and install it, well thats my business. After reading many many threads. Harley abs seems to be not the best in the world. So to attack me right of the bat without knowing anything. That like not selling me a bike because I or others could wreck. Labor to install the part that took me less than 20 minutes to remove should not cost more than the part.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Ok, you seem to know what you are doing. Look to a salvage yard for the part. It seems the new posters ask for help with their first post. Take some time to introduce yourself.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes sir. I've checked voltages going into the unit which were good. As well as taken the lines loose at each spot to verify the fluid is or isn't flowing. I have introduced myself in the new owners forum as well. By far love the bike. Love the sitting and relaxing to the laying down of my busa.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Exactly what part are you looking for? Went to the parts book, couldn't find the number that you posted. Not trying to be a wise guy. Are you sure that is the right part number? I'm going to the local shop tomorrow, I will ask about the part.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
This is what the parts book shows.
Part # 26. 48344-09 Hydraulic Control Unit $363.
Part # 27. 40649-08 Electronic Control Unit $429.
If you need one of these, let me know. The parts managers at the Harley shop is my neighbor.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was trying to upload a photo of my unit, but this is the same one on ebay, same part number as well. But email is [email protected]. I have called a lot of Harley shops. It seems the parts counter always refers me to service as service has to put the request in now with vin, miles, and proof of ownership to order the parts. Which means they want to do the install.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes but they won't sell it thru parts. only thru service with a tech saying it needs to be replaced. I pretty much have no choice but to suck it up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
omg yes thank you guys. parts are ordered. now just have to get a few other minor things taken care of at the dealership I can't do

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
You did order the part that you needed? I have my parts man looking in to it. If not needed, let me know. Dave

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You did order the part that you needed? I have my parts man looking in to it. If not needed, let me know. Dave
Thanks Dave yes I did and a lot more I was missing. Until I started looking at those part break downs, I had no idea how much I was missing. Everything will be here next week. Ill have it all perfect and together. Then before I leave to go back out of town will drop all my body parts off to be painted or powder coated haven't decided yet. I might paint it myself if I have time.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Glad you found what you needed. Keep us posted how you get it back together. Post a picture of the finished bike. You can go to Ronnies and down load the parts list for you particular year and down load it to computer, iPad etc. Dave

1 - 20 of 25 Posts