Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings -

what would be involved to take an 1130cc engine and make it a 1250cc engine?

swap jugs and pistons?

thanks

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
You have to bore the cases, from my understanding an 1130 to 1250 is all the screaming eagle big bore kit they used to make was.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
No, I wish it was that easy. The cases have to be split so they can be bored to accept the 1250 cylinders larger diameter spigots. It ends up being close to a $5000 job including the 1250 kit for maybe a six horsepower gain. I looked at doing it and gave it a pass. You can get as large a power gain from intake, exhaust (if you choose the exhaust system carefully, not all work that well) and re-mapping the ECM.
There is this loon ball in my town with a stock displacement D that has had the heads ported, some sort of aftermarket cam, drilled out air box lid, K&N and Supertrapp slip ons and a dyno re-map. That thing is F-ing fast, but it gets 28 mpg if that.

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Weak a$$ intake cams as well. When you install the HD 1250 kit you use the same stock exhaust cams.

Sharkey if you have a customer considering this please try and talk him out of it and save him the disappointment.

I could have cried way back when I did mine and it made no difference at all.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
I would say if you are going to do motorwork, picking up a big bore if you can find one is a good start, but deffinatley don't stop at a 1250, go bigger.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
You are better off w a set of pistons,a Destroyer crank and the Harley performance cams.
Probably give it close to 140hp to the rear out of 1177cc's.

28mpg is great fuel mileage for a performance vehicle.I took a car that used to get 37mpg,played w the exhaust,intake and the ecm,it now gets less than 20,but the little V-6 wipps the V-8's.

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
Waste of time. Get a Vmax or just do what the above mentioned.

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
he has stealth nitrous and was hoping there was a quick switch from 1130 to 1250....

Thanks for all the advice here...

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I would say if you are going to do motorwork, picking up a big bore if you can find one is a good start, but deffinatley don't stop at a 1250, go bigger.
1402 or go home

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
he has stealth nitrous and was hoping there was a quick switch from 1130 to 1250....

Thanks for all the advice here...
Eh, tell him that when he blows the engine up he can rebuild it with a big bore kit. :chainsaw:

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
you can buy a new 1250 from hd for about 6k almost cheaper than modifying the 1130 and you would have a spare motor.. if you are going to the expense of pulling a 1130 motor apart a 1450 is probably the best bang for the buck if you get the welded stroker instead of the billet crank..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts