Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday a nice package of literature arrived featuring the new 2008 Buell Sportbike. Looks like they have really done thier homework with this design. What I like is that Buell claims to have built the bike with the rider as #1 consideration. Things like adjustable footpeg location & adjustable levers are nice touches but the performance will ultimatly be what sells this machine. The dyno chart looks impressive with a torque curve almost completely flat and emphisizes tractable power from idle to redline unlike most sportbikes with the topend bias. Should be more fun to ride, somewhat like a Firebolt but with almost double the rpm band available. This machine looks like the machine many riders wanted an American manufacturer to build, I know I did. The only thing missing from previous Buell efforts was more power and even like that they were some of the funest bikes to ever be built IMHO. Don't know how many Superbike titles this concept will take, but I'd bet there will be more than a few converts from the foriegn sportbike brigade. For me its a no brainer, I want one NOW!

·
Bone Stock B Model
8,639 Posts
zcat said:
Yesterday a nice package of literature arrived featuring the new 2008 Buell Sportbike. Looks like they have really done thier homework with this design. What I like is that Buell claims to have built the bike with the rider as #1 consideration. Things like adjustable footpeg location & adjustable levers are nice touches but the performance will ultimatly be what sells this machine. The dyno chart looks impressive with a torque curve almost completely flat and emphisizes tractable power from idle to redline unlike most sportbikes with the topend bias. Should be more fun to ride, somewhat like a Firebolt but with almost double the rpm band available. This machine looks like the machine many riders wanted an American manufacturer to build, I know I did. The only thing missing from previous Buell efforts was more power and even like that they were some of the funest bikes to ever be built IMHO. Don't know how many Superbike titles this concept will take, but I'd bet there will be more than a few converts from the foriegn sportbike brigade. For me its a no brainer, I want one NOW!

Ditto, I would really like to see one in person. I cant believe we will have to wait until January. :soapbox:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Smooth, I missed the boat here a week ago when the HD display was in Nashville at the Opryland Hotel for a dealer show. A friend of a friend (a fellow Ulyssys owner) was able to get in and actually sit on the bike. He's 6'6" tall and said it wasn't too bad for him but not near as comfortable as his Ulyssys, but he's 6 & a half foot tall! He got the opportunity to talk to Eric Buell about the bike and of course Eric is sky high on the potential.
I could kick myself as I have friends at Opryland that could have got me in, now I wait with everybody else.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, I forgot, he said it was awesome, my buddy said he was "gushing" superlatives (LOL) and he can't wait to trade his Uly in, I'd like to keep my Uly and have an 1125!

·
Bone Stock B Model
8,639 Posts
I hope that they will make enough so that dealers can actually have some for demo, if not maybe they will have some at Daytona bike week or Myrtle beach bike week to try out.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If they didn't have them for Demo at Daytona, I'd be shocked. I don't see how it won't sell in volumns, but ya never know. At this point though, unless it test out disappointing I'm pretty sure if the funds are there, I will have one. Looks wise, IMHO it stands with any Japan or Italian effort and I'll probably get flamed for that but I LIKE IT!

·
Army spark jockey
3,091 Posts
The bike looks great would love to demo it

·
Bone Stock B Model
8,639 Posts
zcat said:
If they didn't have them for Demo at Daytona, I'd be shocked. I don't see how it won't sell in volumns, but ya never know. At this point though, unless it test out disappointing I'm pretty sure if the funds are there, I will have one. Looks wise, IMHO it stands with any Japan or Italian effort and I'll probably get flamed for that but I LIKE IT!

I like the looks, I just hope they will go back to the drawing board with the radiator shrouds. Other than that I like it.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You know Smooth, I think thats one of those things you might have to see in person. Certainly they look pretty big, but I didn;t like the V-Rod shrouds at 1st and they grew on me. We'll just have to wait till we get to see it in person, but I'd be surprised if it changed much this late in the game.

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
I'm not much into crotch rockets, but I do like the Duc's and Triumphs quite a bit. I like this one much better than those.

·
Registered
623 Posts
just talked with the Ft Myers store here in S W Florida, and they said to look for the new 1125 around the middle to end of Aug.. Might have to go more into debt when I see that one, bastards

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree Dungeon, I like it better than any crotchrocket I've seen too. I like some of the Buell design ideas and like that they kept them intact with this one. If they price it at $12,000 like Ive heard they'll for sure have a winner. Yea, I could see one of those bad boys setting next to the Ulyssys & V-Rod. I might be satisfied for awhile -LOL!

·
SOLD
3,118 Posts
smoothrod said:
I hope that they will make enough so that dealers can actually have some for demo, if not maybe they will have some at Daytona bike week or Myrtle beach bike week to try out.
Bro I think we both know you'll be hard pressed to go to Daytona spring rally again but MB....heck either way me best better plan it

·
Registered
494 Posts
zcat said:
. . .actually sit on the bike . . .
I was at the Moto GP at Laguna Seca last weekend (what an awesome event!) and got to sit on the bike . . .
I MUST have one - I'm completely sold on the quality and performance (as advertised, anyway). The bike will list at 11K & change - what a deal! :notworth:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fletch, thats a monster deal considering what some of the compitition cost. Lets see an 1125 for under $12,000 and about $6000 to spend to catch up with a Duc 1198 in cost, oh yea thats da stuff American Dreams are made of. Should be able to smoke it with that extra change. I'll probably get flamed by the Duc crowd for that statement too -LOL! Might be the the best sportbike deal ever!
Fletch, what did you think of the ergonomics compared to other crotchrockets on the market?

·
Registered
494 Posts
zcat said:
Fletch, thats a monster deal considering what some of the compitition cost. Lets see an 1125 for under $12,000 and about $6000 to spend to catch up with a Duc 1198 in cost, oh yea thats da stuff American Dreams are made of. Should be able to smoke it with that extra change. I'll probably get flamed by the Duc crowd for that statement too -LOL! Might be the the best sportbike deal ever!
Fletch, what did you think of the ergonomics compared to other crotchrockets on the market?
It felt perfect for my build, still a little taller than the competition (as you might expect from Buell), but comfortable - the reach wasn't so far as to put excessive weight on the arms & wrists, but adequate for tucking in for some tight twisties. The trim & finish quality was impressive, as well; slipper clutch & lots of ponies. I really think they've got a winner with this one and can't wait to ride it (but, then, I'm an R model V-Rod owner afterall) . . . :biker:

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
sort of an oddball question, but from what I could see on the web site, the taillight looked to be the same as the oval XB taillight... can anyone confirm?

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
It should be interesting. I would wait for the initial rush to subside and pick one up for $10K from one of the idiot dealers that will shove it into the back of the store and not have any salespeople who know the bike. They will be glad to dump it just to get it off their floor plan.

I'm not trying to be cynical but for that reason I think this bike has a long road to travel to make it into the main stream. Too bad for Eric, good for those of us who want one......

·
Registered
494 Posts
mjw930 said:
It should be interesting. I would wait for the initial rush to subside and pick one up for $10K from one of the idiot dealers that will shove it into the back of the store and not have any salespeople who know the bike. They will be glad to dump it just to get it off their floor plan.

I'm not trying to be cynical but for that reason I think this bike has a long road to travel to make it into the main stream. Too bad for Eric, good for those of us who want one......
Buell has a strong following and [I think] this bike could wean a goodly number of Rice Rocket riders away from the foreign competition . . . add a bunch of bottom end and mid range torque to a race bred frame and high revving engine - people have just GOT to notice! Hey, I'm ready for a USA bred sport bike! As well, however (and I agree), there will be dealers who won't really know what they've got - but, I do believe that the Buell dealers have got a better handle on THEIR market than the Harley-only dealers do. So, hopefully for Eric and his followers, they should fare better than the V-Rod marketeers have by and large. I've sat on this bike and it IS sweet!

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Buell rocks I usually get a new bike every year to 18 months but I kept a Buell for 5 years. Was a hoot. new one looks like another toy on the way.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts