Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something VERY strange going on here: A sales guy from my local dealer called tonight and offered me $10k on a trade-in for my beat up 03 with 70k miles on it. WHAT are they smoking??? It would have been interesting to pursue it long enough to find out where the kicker would be, but pointless.

Looks like my insurance claim will include a new frame. Does anyone know whether I actually HAVE to get a new frame, or can I use the $$ for other things?

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Val said:
Looks like my insurance claim will include a new frame. Does anyone know whether I actually HAVE to get a new frame, or can I use the $$ for other things?
So what happened to the frame Val?

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
WOW i would say, "WHERE DO I SIGN!"

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Val I think it's just a frame section and not really a big deal. Lets see $10k, 70k miles did you offer to give them a kiss. :rofl:

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Teensy little "dit" in it down to the paint on the right side, where my highway peg got rammed into by the taxi driver in Newfoundland. I figured they'd only recommend replacing the right-side lower frame piece that did get trashed. Wonder what a replacement frame costs?

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Max said:
Val I think it's just a frame section and not really a big deal. Lets see $10k, 70k miles did you offer to give them a kiss. :rofl:
Yeah, but I'm sure there's a kicker in there somewhere, Max.

We had this big discussion at the dealership on Sat. when I took it in about replacing the whole frame vs. just that one piece, and they weren't sure what the insurance co. would do. They said HD usually recommends replacing the whole thing, if there is any damage to the paint on the frame that goes down to the bare metal, to my surprise, as I was expecting just to have that one piece replaced and then have to worry about how awful it was going to look compared to the beat-up remainder of my frame. The adjustor comes tomorrow to see the bike and review their estimate, so I should know by then.

Maybe I'll look into this offer a little more tomorrow...

I know, I'm NUTS, but I'd rather make some changes to this one and hope HD will FINALLY come out with the bagger, before I trade this one in. Plus, I can't afford to make all the adjustments that would be needed to a new bike now anyway -- seat, grips, handlebars, windshield, blah blah blah -- to make it fit me and be comfortable on the long hauls.

·
Registered
196 Posts
the dealership wanted to replace my frame when i layed it down. I said I didnt want them to take my whole frame out, especially because they don't know their head from their a$$es!! they said If i didnt do it and they put it on the estimate that It would be considered fraud... I finally got them to agree to get a repair done to the frame that only costed 500 instead of 4000!!! After a painter came in and touches it up I had lots of extra money to play with. now my D is all black and chrome!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think with some insurance companys, if it is turned in to them its automatic frame replacement. no matter how bad the wreck. Might be a liability issue?

I have a friend that buys wrecked Harleys for less then half the price at salvage sales and fixes them for little or nothing to resell.

He told me he could have got a V-Rod a couple of years ago, that just needed tins for around $3k

Tony

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
10 G's for a trade? I am thinking the "trade" is the key word. They more than likley would have worked you over on the price of a new one. A stock bike for just a little over 20. Sorry to hear about your accident.

·
Vrodder since 2004
4,514 Posts
Gdub said:
10 G's for a trade? I am thinking the "trade" is the key word. They more than likley would have worked you over on the price of a new one. A stock bike for just a little over 20. Sorry to hear about your accident.
:them: typical sales tactic - get you in, get your hopes up on a good deal, show you some very nice new bikes, then work the deal in their favor...very typical!

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's my question -- whether it would be fraud if I didn't replace the frame.

After thinking about it last night, I figure the kicker is that they'd "give" me $10k on a trade in, as long as I also signed over the insurance check to them, which, depending on the amount of the check, would reduce the actual trade-in value down to something more reasonable/accurate.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Val said:

After thinking about it last night, I figure the kicker is that they'd "give" me $10k on a trade in, as long as I also signed over the insurance check to them, which, depending on the amount of the check, would reduce the actual trade-in value down to something more reasonable/accurate.

Good call on the insurance check. How does your frame look? Is it the replacable rails or the main portion?

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My main frame looks awful, but that's due to abuse and lack of care. There's only one small "dit" in it from the accident, but I definitely need a new replaceable rail on the right-hand side. The footpeg was pushed into it and punched a hole that had to be welded so I could ride it home from NL.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
When I got rear ended I did not replace everything the insurance gave me a check for. Grant it my wreck was not that bad and I was able to keep the bike up. If it was me I would look at it from a saftey issue and what can you live with. Also if you don't get a new frame would the number on yours go under a salvage title or does that have nothing to do with it?

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Val said:

Never thought about it like that. Like you said there is always a catch. Good call. Per the usual, meaning the dealer is always the winner.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gdub said:
When I got rear ended I did not replace everything the insurance gave me a check for. Grant it my wreck was not that bad and I was able to keep the bike up. If it was me I would look at it from a saftey issue and what can you live with. Also if you don't get a new frame would the number on yours go under a salvage title or does that have nothing to do with it?
Don't know the answer to the second question. I already have one bike under a salvage title and sure don't need the paperwork hassle.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
I would have went to the stealership running to trade that baby!!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts