Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
THAWING In Montana
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about performing my own service to save money. I've heard again and again that the stealer will be really expensive. I have an "r" and was wondering if there is a specific service manual that I should look for? Also wondering what this may entail. I'm no mechanic, but I can change the oil on my dirt bike, and my chevy truck...advice?

·
Don't think, ride.
752 Posts
The best thing I ever did was get a service manual and start doing the work myself and I knew nothing about engines and had no tools prior to buying the bike. There may be a separate service manual for the SEs but for all other models I believe it is just the VRSC service manual. Mine covers models A, D and R for 06s. Bought through Zanottis when you purchase a lot of parts is the best way to go, their shipping can be pricey if you just buy one item. Not many people including me are satisfied with how the dealership treats their bikes and as others have said, no one will treat your bike as good as you will. I never liked the feeling of my bike disappearing into the service area and wondering if they were actually doing everything I paid for.

·
THAWING In Montana
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just wondering about the warranty if I do it myself. Any problem with that?

·
Registered
Black 2007 VRSCD
183 Posts
I also use the Haynes/Clymer manual mine covers all these models:
VRSCA V-ROD (2002-2006)
VRSCB V-ROD (2004-2005)
VRSCAW V-ROD (2007-2010)
VRSCSE Screamin Eagle (2005-2006)
VRSCX Screamin Eagle (2007)
VRSCR Street Rod (2006-2007)
VRSCD Night Rod (2006-2008)
VRSCDX Night Rod Special (2007-2014)
VRSCF V-Rod Muscle (2009-2014)
VRSCDX-ANIV. 10th Anniversary Edition (2012)

Everything from switches to engine rebuilding, many things I just won't try to do myself! :) I did the online subscription I like the search online options.

Haynes Manuals

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
The hanes and clymer manuals are to general and the not all Vrsc years are the same. Different torque specs for different years along with changes

·
Registered
Black 2007 VRSCD
183 Posts
@JJrod
Mine breaks down the model and year and has different instructions, torque spec's per model & year. Most 2002-2006, 2007- forward are the same then it will list the models with different specs.
It also has random HD part numbers. The only problem I had there is if the HD number has been upgraded. My front brake line assembly started leaking at the banjo at the master cylinder. When I searched for the part (all-in-one unit) nothing was found. Called a local dealer and the parts guy said add an "A" to the end for the new version LOL and I found one in Florida.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts