Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going in for my 1000 mile service on the 29th. Anyway, I'm having the 16 gauge SEs, running it topless, and putting a 28t sprocket on. I ran into a guy at the gas station with an 03 the other day. He told me that he has the above setup (minus the 28t sprocket), and at about 7000 rpm it feels like a turbo kicks in or something. What has been everyone elses experience with this setup? Do you get more power throughout the power band, or more of a hit at a certain RPM like this guy described to me? Also, is there much power difference between running topless and having the SE high flow air filter? Was a bit undecided on the two, just because I didn't want to take a chance of getting the filter wet when washing it or stuck in the occasional downpour.

·
Registered
268 Posts
i had that same setup, you can feel a difference in the seat dyno. mine gained about 7 hp over stock. the power curve is about the same. screams from about 4 to 8.5

·
Registered
974 Posts
That is very normal.
with any exhaust.
Power is mid to high rpms
Lots to read in the forum.
Go nuts.
BobT

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
Go with the VModded stock exhaust. You'll pick up more HP and it sounds oh so SWEET!

·
Rocky Mountain VRodr
524 Posts
Motown_VROD said:
Go with the VModded stock exhaust. You'll pick up more HP and it sounds oh so SWEET!
I was at a dealership Grand Opening in Boulder, CO and had a guy come up and tell me NOT to VMod. "Less compression means less power, less speed".

Sorry, but as a rookie, I"m very confused on this. I kind of agree and do not understand how taking the baffles out increases horsepower.

Maybe I should make this question it's own thread???

KARAF

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Read what is posted on the forum and make up your own mind.. But the guy you talk to doesn't know s#it.

·
Registered Confuser
828 Posts
KARAF said:
Sorry, but as a rookie, I"m very confused on this. I kind of agree and do not understand how taking the baffles out increases horsepower.

Maybe I should make this question it's own thread???

KARAF
The baffels restrict the flow of the exhaust gas. The short answer is the engine has to use power to push the gas out. You dont want that. Thats where altering or removing baffels get the extra HP. But there is a whole science to exhaust tuning for max performance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts