Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming up on 1000 miles on my 11 DX. Dealer said I should bring it back in for service then. Is it worth the $200+ they want to charge for it? Besides changing the oil what else is done? If I change the oil myself, what oil and filter should I use? Thanks

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
as far as oil goes.... pm 02man98 on here and get the good stuff. he'll hook you up with a filter too. basicly check all critical fasteners on the bike too. if you can change oil you can do the service to the bike. F*** the dealer and get to know your bike better.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
For $200.00 they will put Dino oil in, and then do a lousy wash job! That's about it!
They are supposed to check critical fasteners, and overall safety check.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
also check the fall away adjustment. get yourself a good torque wrench and metric wrenches and sockets. metric allen sockets too.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
This is straight from the 2006 VRSC Service Manual:

1000 mile service:
  1. Engine oil and filter- Replace
  2. Oil lines and brake system- Inspect for leaks*
  3. Air cleaner- Inspect, service as required
  4. Tires- Check pressure, inspect tread
  5. Clutch fluid- Check level and condition
  6. Rear belt and sprockets- Inspect, adjust belt*
  7. Throttle, brake and clutch controls- Check, adjust and lubricate*
  8. Jiffy stand- Inspect and lubricate*
  9. Brake fluid- Check levels and condition
  10. Brake pads and discs- Inspect for wear
  11. Electrical equipment and switches- Check operation
  12. Steering head bearings- Adjust*
  13. Cooling system- Inspect: check clamps for tightness, check coolant freeze point*
  14. Radiator- Clean
  15. Critical fasteners- Check tightness*
  16. Road test-verify component and system functions
*Should be performed by and authorized Harley-Davidson dealer, unless you have the proper tools, service data and are mechanically qualified.

FIRST SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE
*A Harley-Davidson dealer should perform the first scheduled service listed in the Owner's Manual. See the Maintenance and Lubrication section in your Owner's Manual for more information.

There are some important inspections that should be done after the first 1000 miles. Please note that only the ones listed with an asterisk (*) should only be done by a qualified mechanic. If you decide to pay someone to do the 1000 mile interval, make sure that they do ALL of the check points listed above- especially the oil change, drive belt and steering head bearing adjustments! If you feel that you can do these three yourself, the rest is simple routine maintenance.

It would be a lot cheaper if you just paid them to adjust your steering head bearings and drive belt then did the oil change and the rest yourself.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dealer didn't wash my bike and I had to put lock tight on the exhaust shield screws they replaced since they were coming out within 5 miles of leaving the dealer.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
check out the videos too.

link in m Sig.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
do it yourself, not worth $200 for the HD dealer to do it. Besides, when they change the oil they have the nasty habit of only putting 4qts back in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just had my 1000 miles done...

Paid 270$CAN - when you read the invoice it says:
oil: 14.50$, labor 120$, others: 79$ the rest are local taxes!
What I like to most is the unexplainable 79$ "others" it is not labor it is not part....so what the hell is it? they fed the bike with caviar of what?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Paid 270$CAN - when you read the invoice it says:
oil: 14.50$, labor 120$, others: 79$ the rest are local taxes!
What I like to most is the unexplainable 79$ "others" it is not labor it is not part....so what the hell is it? they fed the bike with caviar of what?
HD 20w50 motorcycle oil is $6/qt. either you only received 2.5 qts or they gave you a great discount on your 5 courts of oil. Double check your oil level my friend.

·
revolt on
44 Posts
what about the factory warranty?? mine is nearly up for its first service and they want $320.. i can do all of the above myself but am worried should somthing go wrong with the engine some how will they cover the warranty if i service it myself..

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
what about the factory warranty?? mine is nearly up for its first service and they want $320.. i can do all of the above myself but am worried should somthing go wrong with the engine some how will they cover the warranty if i service it myself..
Good thinking. In my case, I did the work myself and took the owners manual to the dealer and they signed off on the service for me. That should cover you for warranty.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts