Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering riding the muscle to Texas this weekend--its an 850 mile trip. The bike has 420ish miles on ith right now. When I roll into town on thursday, that'd put me at about 1300 miles on the bike. I don't want to bust the very first service the bike is supposed to have done to her, but is it really THAT important to hit the service at 1000 miles? Isn't it just an oil change? What all does the dealer do during the 1000 mile service? Will busting it by a couple/three hundred miles void the warranty or anything?

Thanks!
Cale

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
May be stealership BS - but the 1,000 at a stealership is (supposedly) important towards maintaining warranty (or so I was told by my service manager - who is a close PERSONAL friend also, with no good reason to LIE to me)...

Rick

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just talked to my dealership at home (where I took delivery of the bike, and where I'll have the service done) ... $200?!? He said he was looking up some sort of gasket set to get the price on before he told me how much it would be.... what gaskets get changed during the service?

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
May be stealership BS - but the 1,000 at a stealership is (supposedly) important towards maintaining warranty (or so I was told by my service manager - who is a close PERSONAL friend also, with no good reason to LIE to me)...

Rick
Bullshit! In the United States of America,if the service has to be done in order to validate the warranty,the manufacturer has to give this service for free.
Ask the service manager to read up on the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act,and then ask him what he thinks about that first oil change.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So is it really just an oil change? What all does the dealership supposedly do for you in the initial 1000 mile service? If its just an oil change, for $200, I better be getting a personal lube job along with it...

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
So is it really just an oil change? What all does the dealership supposedly do for you in the initial 1000 mile service? If its just an oil change, for $200, I better be getting a personal lube job along with it...

Basically that's it.The bike is supposed to be checked,including the fallaway,but I doubt that will happen in a dealer where the mechanic is getting paid on the average of 5 tenths,that's 30 minutes.
Buy the service manual and do the services yourself.I doubt you will find any flat rate mechanics that will do a better service than you will on your own bike.
I suggest to change the oil at 500 miles,then again at 1500.Then,depending on the type of oil,follow the oil manufactures suggested intervals.

·
George
5,411 Posts
Al is 100% dead on..... screw the lying dealers!

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Bullshit! In the United States of America,if the service has to be done in order to validate the warranty,the manufacturer has to give this service for free.
Ask the service manager to read up on the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act,and then ask him what he thinks about that first oil change.
:them: I would also add that you can change out your own fluids and it will not void the warranty... All you have to do is note in your owners manual the date you changed out your liquids... Now, if you screw up and put the wrong liquid in and it causes damage, your warranty won't cover your screw up but it's pretty hard to screw up an oil change :)...

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
I hear ya - just relating what I was told.

I did my first oil dump myself anyway at 500. They did another (by accident) at 1,000, another was done at 3,000 when I did my heads/cam swap, and I'm doing one today at 6,500 after 150-some-odd dyno pulls.

I do ALL my own maintenance - unless I'm feeling particularly LAZY, or it's a procedure I'd rather make SOMEONE ELSE liable for in the event of an adverse outcome...

Rick

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
check all the bolts before the trip...
change oil...
ride hard

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
:them: I would also add that you can change out your own fluids and it will not void the warranty... All you have to do is note in your owners manual the date you changed out your liquids... Now, if you screw up and put the wrong liquid in and it causes damage, your warranty won't cover your screw up but it's pretty hard to screw up an oil change :)...
You do not have to document anything.Here again,if this was how it is,the manufacturer that writes the warranty has to supply the liquids for free.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
You do not have to document anything.Here again,if this was how it is,the manufacturer that writes the warranty has to supply the liquids for free.
You may not have to but it's always a good idea to do it so you have proof if needed that liquids were changed out and the local stealer can't get out of doing the warranty work... Just saying...

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
You may not have to but it's always a good idea to do it so you have proof if needed that liquids were changed out and the local stealer can't get our of doing the warranty work... Just saying...
Yea I know.Most consumers are clueless when it comes to specific things such as this.
Labor law is another area most people don't have a clue about.

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
If you keep records it dose help in fighting for your rights. Its true that if a company says that you must use thier stuff or voids warranty they must provide for free.

I was told as a HD service writer that we are to strongly tell the custome to get their first service done by us or it can make getting warranty work done in the future very difficult.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Yup, that's what the salesman told me when I bought my 07 FLHTCI, I just looked at him and said, fine I'll pay HD the first service charge as long as the MOCO refunds me the cost to get the HD Technicians Certificate from MMI which cost my 5k...

He just gave me that deer in the headlight look as I walked out the door, hopped on my new scoot and drove away... Got 8 miles down the road and my tourpak was about ready to fall off... Drove back to the dealer, told him bout the tour pak with a few other choice words about their dealer prep that they wanted to charge me that I didn't pay and that was the last time I was in that dealership...

Bottom line, it is illegal for any manufacturer to void a warranty for work performed by anyone other than a authorized dealer... As long as you keep good records (for the courts if it goes that far) they have to honor the warranty... It's all bs, warranty work is free frigg'en money for the dealer... They don't pay a dime for the parts and they get reimbursed their labor costs so they are out absolutely nothing... It's just greedy dealers who will attempt to "scare" the customer into having all the work done in their shop...

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
in conclusion, ride your bike to Texas, check your oil level when you get there. Enjoy the sites, ride the bike home, and then do your 1k mile service YOURSELF.
P.S. order the service manual before you leave and it will be there when you get back.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
in conclusion, ride your bike to Texas, check your oil level when you get there. Enjoy the sites, ride the bike home, and then do your 1k mile service YOURSELF.
P.S. order the service manual before you leave and it will be there when you get back.
Yup... On another note I just wanna know when that damn dog is gunna quit spank'en that poor girls ass :)...

·
EXCELSIOR
8,493 Posts
I just talked to my dealership at home (where I took delivery of the bike, and where I'll have the service done) ... $200?!? He said he was looking up some sort of gasket set to get the price on before he told me how much it would be.... what gaskets get changed during the service?
Sounds like crap to me, look in your owners booklet at whats required for the first 1000 mile service.
It's basically oil change and general check over for loose shit. The dealer I bought from did mine for free, which is an indication of how little work it is rather than how magnanimous they are.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Thumb through the manual,look at the cool pictures and read a few sentences.
The manual is well written and will help you quit a bit in becoming familiar with your motorcycle.This forum will help a lot too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts