Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my 1000 mile service comes up I want to be decided where I am going to take my DX, where I bought it or a closer dealer.

Where I bought it said they would do it for "free", but charge me for fluids, which they said would be about 15 bucks. They are a 2 hour ride one way and said it would take about 2 hours. I would need to be away from work damn near all day the way I look at it, which isn't easy when you are self employed.
The dealer where I had some warranty work done already is about 40 minutes away and said it would take about an hour. Their price; $100. Here's the kicker. The place where I bought my bike said if their 1000 service wasn't free, it would cost me $275!

This isn't a dealer bashing post because I haven't really had a problem with either one. The place where I bought the bike set me up with the other place for an in and out looksee to see what the problem was I was having and I appreciate that, but they also made it sound like I was getting a $275 perk for buying with them. This is mostly a repeat of what others have said; There can be a huge difference between dealers. Who would have thought there could be such a huge price difference in what should be standard work....

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
3OliveMartini said:
dude pay your 275 and be happy mine was over 400
$400 for the 1000 mile service....that's highway freaking robbery!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hear ya JDR.... 400 bucks? I wonder how the area and cost of living figures into things.... The two dealerships I was comparing are in different states, but the towns they represent are roughly the same size and economy.
Going with the $100 service (and hoping they don't tack on a bunch of extras) is a no brainer for me because they are so much closer. Even if the place I bought it is willing to do it for "free". $400.... wow...

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
mine was quoted little over $300 but here was the kicker. So I asked what they do for the 1k service to which the service writer said they would lube and adjust clutch cable and change the engine and primary oils. After that experience I just ended up doing it myself.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
The one in Bedford TX quoted $233 with dino oil. The service writer did say they would go over the bolts, check the steering, etc. etc. He told me the fall-away was part of the service too, I didn't think it was. My service manual disappeared in a recent move so I can't look it up.

·
Brian
136 Posts
mine was free, fluids included, and they do that for all customers. Even upgraded to synthetic no charge. I bought my bike for 500.00 over invoice with "no" dealer cost. So it seems to me that dealerships just rip people off and don't really give a F$#@ who !!!! Because the guys I bought my bike from really did not make much money off the bike and they still stood by there free 1000 mile service . $400.00 seriously

·
Registered
267 Posts
My 1000 mile service was free (although I am sure it was added in the bike price somewhere :) ). On the invoice, the service was listed as $238 bucks that was comped. That included a switch to the synthetic oil.

·
THAWING In Montana
344 Posts
mine was $225 included dino oil.

·
Ms. Subtle
12,179 Posts
i didnt buy my bike at the dealer .. if i had my service would have probably been included and there would have been some sort of warranty but .. there wasnt i got it "used" with 6 miles on it last sept.. it is a 2003

·
GA. BOY
2,462 Posts
i changed the oil at 1k and just rode on, never had a problem cost 39.00

·
anodized antnee
813 Posts
arn't most of the services just visual inspections? besides the oil change. i figured why bring it in to be looked at when i can do it myself? plus everything has been swapped out for chrome, so i know it's good.

·
lurch on two wheels
296 Posts
I got a similar deal, I got my bike earlier this month (July), it's a 2002 and it had 275 miles on it.

-jt

3OliveMartini said:
i didnt buy my bike at the dealer .. if i had my service would have probably been included and there would have been some sort of warranty but .. there wasnt i got it "used" with 6 miles on it last sept.. it is a 2003

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
jared,
where did you go to get that $115? 220 in des moines....258 in ames. I'll drive from Nevada (iowa) to pella for a 100 bucks

·
Registered
36 Posts
About $260 for synthetic at Worth in Kansas City. I think I am going to do my own services (I was schooled and served as a mechanic in days gone by). On my other bike, I spent three hours doing the service and enjoyed every minute of it! Now I could do it in under 2 hours.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts