Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Slave to my DX
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding with this condition for about 2500 miles now and it seems that every time I am just driving around town (behind cars or open road) when I get off the throttle 100% even at a low RPM, the bike pops and/or backfires several times before coming to a rest or when the clutch is pulled. No other time does it do this. I can even rev it and let it come back to idle and it runs and sounds fine.

I have a Stock DX and was told I need to change everything from pipes to adding a power commander and an air cleaner and that may not even fix the problem.

Did anyone else run into these issues, I am trying to keep this bike (visually) as stock as possible. Anyone have any ideas?
:banghead:

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Normally on most bikes this would mean an air leak.

[disclaimer - I am new to V Rods and advice is based on years of riding other bikes]

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
CHECK the exhaust flanges at the heads.

I had an identical issue coming home from MWT this year and the flange on my front head was very loose. I would not pop unless I release the throttle completely, when I gave it a little it would stop.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Exhaust leak, me thinks.

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Exhaust leak:them: Also they are lean from MOCO. A little extra fuel after the leak fix will help with decel popping. JMHO.

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
Just adding a fuel management device and adding a little fuel to her will clear it up. It just has the MOCO lean to it!

·
Slave to my DX
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tightened all the bolts on slip ons and the flanges on the head helped a bit but still have that decel popping. I have been looking into power commander and adding a K&N filter but wouldnt know how well it works with stock pipes.

·
Go IRISH!
727 Posts
Check the connection at the headers where it ties into the exhaust (figure 8 clamp). Also, I was always under the impression decel popping is from a rich condition and acel popping is from a lean condition.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts