Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Rocky Mountain VRodr
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so we all want to mod our V-Rods to be unique. But I've noticed EVERY single bike I've looked at (ok, so I haven't seen every one on the site, work with me here), everyone has replaced the black belt cover with the chrome.

LOTS of people replace the seat due to it being uncomfortable.

LOTS of people replace the pipes to make the bike sound like a HD.

And of course, it goes on from there. But EVERYONE seems to agree, the stupid black belt cover needs to be the first thing to go.

Am I crazy here?

Or even better, is there another MUST CHANGE I didn't even pick up on?

KARAF

·
Liqwid Rider
281 Posts
No, numero uno is the SS braided hose cover kit for the damm stock rubber coolant hose!! I mean, WHY would they put an ugly rubber hose in the middle of an otherwise beautiful bike?! Because they know we'd buy the braided kit of course :) A pain to install if you do it yourself, but it was the first thing I had on mine (dealer installed on mine when new BTW). :2cents:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
My first mod was to get rid of the ugly side gills, and replaced them with smooth chrome panels. Then went for the swingarm bolt covers and covered the coolant hose.

·
Registered
503 Posts
HAVE the stock sprocket chromed... see ozzycustoms.com.... that really adds a lot to the bike... replace all the garbage bolts with chrome/polished. GOT to cover that rubber hose.. Harley should be ashamed. The stock footpegs look like they were imported by Walmart along with the rest of the junk they sell.. replace em

Full chrome hand controls and mounts/cylinders, switch housings/switch covers are really nice.... but a magor expense by the time you buy chrome mirrors... like 500.00 PLUS

get some sound out of the bike... v mod pipes at least

DO THE WORK YOURSELF!!!!! DON'T PAY A DEALER TO INSTALL THIS STUFF OR YOU'LL BE SO UPSIDE DOWN ON THIS BIKE YOU'LL BE IN TEARS!!!

good luck..

·
Submariner
186 Posts
KARAF said:
Ok, so we all want to mod our V-Rods to be unique. But I've noticed EVERY single bike I've looked at (ok, so I haven't seen every one on the site, work with me here), everyone has replaced the black belt cover with the chrome.

LOTS of people replace the seat due to it being uncomfortable.

LOTS of people replace the pipes to make the bike sound like a HD.

And of course, it goes on from there.
First of all, it's your bike, so do what you want! If you attempt to do all the mods that the members here have done, you'll go broke, FAST.

I recommend you look at the gallery and see what's available to you, then make a list of the mods you want based on your priorities. Get prices for you list and it may cause you to adjust your priorities. It'll be a lot easier on your wallet if you know where you're headed.

The majority of the pieces that make the bike shiny are very easy to install, even if you're a mechanical moron like me. I found that with the right tools and the manual, it's surprisingly easy.

So in a nutshell, by all means ask for help & advice when you need it, but make your own decisions. You'll be happier in the long run.

BTW, how old are your greys? My 14 year old died last summer, and I still have a 9 year old.

·
Avenger Hawk
635 Posts
free must mods:
remove front fork reflectors
cut front off air intake (semi-topless)
remove plastic rear turn signals from dog a$$

Everyone dances to the beat of a different drummer.

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
It all depends on how much money you want to throw at your bike. I found modifying mine to be a real slippery slope. Once I started I couldn't stop.

Therefore, all I have to offer is...what are your reasons for the mods - looks or comfort? If it's looks, then get your VISA out cuz there's no end of stuff to buy! If it's comfort, I recommend changing the seat (Willie G) and getting a windshield (Sport for around town or shorter trips, and detachable touring for longer trips or colder weather).

As far as free mods though, I agree with what's already been posted - trim the dog's ass (although this might not be free if you want to go with alternate turn signals), remove the lower belt guard, and ditch the fork reflectors.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I don't care for the chrome belt guards or the braided hose cover or the other chrome accessories because I like the look of the swooopy frame (I LOVE the exhaust pipes) and the more chrome or silver added the less the frame is noticed. I also hate the noise and prefer the bike to be very quiet....I'm the non-traditional Harley dude..:D

ks;)

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
The one Thing I hate the most and would change first if I got another Daily Driver V-rod ,would be the Stock Handle Bars!They are SAD!A cool pair of Low Drag Bars and it's Perfect! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
126 Posts
v-mod pipes
pulled off reflectors
swingarm caps
28t pulley
sundowner seat w/ backrest/luggage rack
cut off DA/doc's stg 2
relocate front turns to lower tree bolts
HD drag bars w/ everything chrome except instrument cluster
modded and chromed upper/lower guards
chromed stock pulley and rear peg brackets
assorted chrome bolts
new Ozzy skins ...when I get the $$$

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
Kaz that was the first Mod i done to the bike, went with the HD drag bars so i could hide my wires. and it fits my long arms better than the stock bars did.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
:thumb:

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
It's interesting to see what and what doesn't appeal to people. Until I switched to the braided hose didn't I realize how ugly the rubber one was. I agree with AKvrod, when I look at the motor the hose is the center of focus -- the braided hose just gives it a classier look. I think it should be stock. Definitely, mod'ing the pipes gave the bike a whole new attitude. But without a doutbt, the Ozzy skins puts it in a class of it's own. At almost every stop light people give me a thumbs up or roll down their windows to tell me "Man! is that awesome," or words to that effect. And the stuff that Ozzy is putting out now!! ... If I didn't have a set, I might consider selling a kidney if I had to. :D

·
speeding safely
499 Posts
Saddlebags and a rack are the most important mod for me.

I don't ride no show bike. I ride it as transportation.
Having the ability to take stuff with me is the difference between getting to ride the vrod, and having to take the car.

Yup, we're all different.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Morey000, me too, I had to get the bags (went with the chrome topped hard bags, I know, small, but they look good!), but I also chromed all the gear on the handlebars - thats what I see when I ride and I just thought the painted stuff looked average. Bad mirroe choice, but I have griped about that in another thread - want the apollos, could settle for the golf club mirrors, but hey, I'm having a v-rod accessory hiatus.

Covered the rubber hose - but used the chrome cover, not the braided line - I was in 2 minds and think both look good.

Bolt covers on swingarm and top of forks had to go on, UGLY without them.

Dogs ass not an issue for me due to saddle bags, but I remain unconvinced by the available alternatives at the moment. I posted my pref for this somewhere, but it's obviously not that popular or I woulda seen something happening :rolleyes:

Belt guards - everything else on the bike is chrome and silver and some genius makes these black?

Pegs and grips - just thought the stockers were a bit ho hum and looked cheaper than the bike, sorta dragged down the overall appearance.

Sport windshield, but I dunno if I would bother if I did it over again. Only one that looks relatively unobtrusive and doesn't rob the bike of it's sleek look.

Willie G seat is a must do, just putting that off because they are dearer than poison downunder.

Tank bra - saves the paint down there and looks pretty good. Cheap too by HD standards.

Had a clock - got nicked, wife ordered a new one that was supposed to arrive for Valentines day. Still waiting. Guess it stopped :) Real handy though so you have a clue about the time when riding which I find mostly useful despite the ethos of hitting the road to forget all the things associated with time limits etc.

Craig's frame bag - really useful, thanks FEHRC.

Hmmm, what else - oh, of course - PIPES!!!!!!! :cool: I went the SE slip ons (they had a lot of design time on them and I think they got it right), SE airfilter and factory flash - just not mechanically minded enough to warrant the Race Tuner type dyno'd gotta milk every last drop thing. I mean, I'd like to, but bang for my buck is elsewhere. Will get my old pipes v-modded for some variety and a little more noise because the changeover is easy and no new maps required for the engine.

So there you go! What you think is essential is entirely a personal choice. Enough of my :blahblah:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts