Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '10 VRSCF all stock and it is running so lean its missfiring under light throttle rather in town or on the highway, the dealer service dept state thats the way they run because their high strung, I think the only one high strung is the service writer, any advice on getting this thing richend up a bit on part thottle, mid and full throttle run fine but the gas mileage has been very poor about 31mpg on the highway running a constant 60mph on the flat.

Does the dealer have the tools to change code to richen it up or do I need to invest in a aftermarket piggyback system?

Regards,
Kent

·
Registered
87 Posts
yes its a lean miss-hesitation in the 2500-3500 rpm area inmost gears,thats where they test for emissions as i was told.U can install a resistors for the short ban o2 sensors but, a tunner will fix that problem and add hp in most of the rpm range if u want to spend the money.if u add slip-ons ,air filter,trans pulley,ull probably want a tunner,thats where iam.i live with it for now but thinking i will get a power commander 5 for b-day-lol

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
the bike is so lean in that area to make emissions that is will actually get better gas mileage if you richen it up..

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
the bike is so lean in that area to make emissions that is will actually get better gas mileage if you richen it up..
True story ^

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm taking it into the dealer today and will see what the tech has to say, I'll keep you posted.

Regards,
Kent

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
He will probably tell you to buy a super tuner or such.... you can thank the EPA along with Halrey's stock tuning to meet EPA compliance....

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
whatis the blue bike is that inur pic ?
that is my old kawasaki drag bike that i ran in the idba from 1985 to 1992.. held the records in my class and won one national on that bike.. that picture was taken with a friend riding it at our local 1/8 mile .. it held the track record for bikes there for a couple of years till they had a bike race with fuel hd`s..

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I'm taking it into the dealer today and will see what the tech has to say, I'll keep you posted.

Regards,
Kent
there is propably nothing that can be done without buying a tuner.. they can check to make sure it has the latest calibration and there are no codes but other than that i doubt they can do much because the lean running was necesitated by emissions laws.. to make it run perfectly requires a tuner and breaking emissions laws..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well got the bike back and what they found was that the computer was flashed with California code which is set abit leaner, I have to say it is abit better but its still lean, it struggles to rev with no load on the engine, I guess I'll have to get a progamer, I dont plan to do any changes to the exaust or intake, should I still go with a PC V or is there a better solution for that type set up?

Also of note my fuel gauge would show 1/4 tank when I had 2 gallons of fuel left, HD said in the manual it should only have 1 gallon left, there is a bullitin on how to calibrate the gauge that the shop can perform with the scan gauge, they calibated mine and will see how that works, so those with fuel gauges way off you may want to talk to your dealer.

Regards,
Kent

·
Registered
394 Posts
Kent,
You're new so you may not be aware that the fuel gauges in V-Rods, especially the newer ones, just don't work reliably. Some do, but most don't. Check what kind of milege you get and use the trip odometer to tell you when it's time to stop.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the heads up on the fuel gauge, will see after their calibration how well it behaves.

Regards,
Kent

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
if you aren`t changing pipes the cheapest thing you can do is a stage one download at the dealership ...if you might someday change pipes or other performance mods get a race tuner or pwr cmdr...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What is changed in the stage one down load?

Regards,
Kent

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
What is changed in the stage one down load?

Regards,
Kent
the stage one download is richened up for a high flow airfilter and slipon pipe combination.. only problem is if it isn`t right for your combination it can`t be tuned.. they usally work well but it isn`t guaranteed..

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
You can also plug in a pair of Xied's, cost about a hundred bucks.
xied`s work well in richening the closed loop area`s ,,, they don`t do anything is the open loop area`s so full throttle is still too lean.. they would work well with a stage one download..

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
xied`s work well in richening the closed loop area`s ,,, they don`t do anything is the open loop area`s so full throttle is still too lean.. they would work well with a stage one download..
As I understand it, open loop is already rich enough for a near stock bike (around 13 to 1, 12.8 if I believed a fellow that couldn't find his dyno sheet). I've also been told that there is an offset table that adjusts open loop AFR based on closed loop adjustments. I don't know any of this as tested fact, it's all based on many hours of reading about Harley ECM's.

Xieds aren't the best answer, but they are a workable alternative if you're short on cash. I actually found them to work far better than a PC-III with a downloaded map. Every map I tried solved problems by dumping fuel into the engine. It's a quick and safe way to get some horsepower and cool the bike down, but it drank fuel at an alarming rate. I couldn't live with a bike that got near the same mileage as my truck.

I'm sure you know a great deal more about this than I do, I'm simply relating what I've learned over several weeks of studying the subject.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
As I understand it, open loop is already rich enough for a near stock bike (around 13 to 1, 12.8 if I believed a fellow that couldn't find his dyno sheet). I've also been told that there is an offset table that adjusts open loop AFR based on closed loop adjustments. I don't know any of this as tested fact, it's all based on many hours of reading about Harley ECM's.

Xieds aren't the best answer, but they are a workable alternative if you're short on cash. I actually found them to work far better than a PC-III with a downloaded map. Every map I tried solved problems by dumping fuel into the engine. It's a quick and safe way to get some horsepower and cool the bike down, but it drank fuel at an alarming rate. I couldn't live with a bike that got near the same mileage as my truck.

I'm sure you know a great deal more about this than I do, I'm simply relating what I've learned over several weeks of studying the subject.
even with the xieds you will still be running around 13.9 to 14.1 in the closed loop.. this is still a lean mixture that will get good gas mileage.. at full throttle the stock map will run 13.0 or sightly richer at full throttle(open loop) if you put a high flow airfilter and more open pipe the stock calibration will be quite a bit leaner at full throttle because of the increased airflow. you are right about just dumping extra fuel to fix problems but if you are using the delphi system it will run fairly lean in the closed loop area`s which cover 90% of your riding... unless the closed loop is disabled you are not going to run so rich as to get bad gas mileage.. i have actually seen a fair increase in mileage richening the closed loop bias to run the a/f in the closed loop around 14.1 to 14.3 compared to the 14.7 or so that hd runs the closed loop to make emissions..i wonder if you are refering to a pwr cmdr with o2 eliminators.. most of the maps if have downloaded form the pwr cmdr website have been really rich at part throttle,bad for gas mileage.. i actually very seldom bother to get a map for a pwr cmdr.. just start with a zero map and create a proper map on the dyno.. we only download maps for pwr cmdr`s when a customer just wants to install the unit and go without the expense of dyno time..

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
even with the xieds you will still be running around 13.9 to 14.1 in the closed loop.. this is still a lean mixture that will get good gas mileage.. at full throttle the stock map will run 13.0 or sightly richer at full throttle(open loop) if you put a high flow airfilter and more open pipe the stock calibration will be quite a bit leaner at full throttle because of the increased airflow. you are right about just dumping extra fuel to fix problems but if you are using the delphi system it will run fairly lean in the closed loop area`s which cover 90% of your riding... unless the closed loop is disabled you are not going to run so rich as to get bad gas mileage.. i have actually seen a fair increase in mileage richening the closed loop bias to run the a/f in the closed loop around 14.1 to 14.3 compared to the 14.7 or so that hd runs the closed loop to make emissions..i wonder if you are refering to a pwr cmdr with o2 eliminators.. most of the maps if have downloaded form the pwr cmdr website have been really rich at part throttle,bad for gas mileage.. i actually very seldom bother to get a map for a pwr cmdr.. just start with a zero map and create a proper map on the dyno.. we only download maps for pwr cmdr`s when a customer just wants to install the unit and go without the expense of dyno time..
It was indeed the PC with O2 eliminators, good call.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts