Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I am trying to figure out just how much I want to lower my bike, so I went ahead and bought a 1" lowering kit off of eBay ($35) to see if that was enough before I bought all new shocks for several hundred dollars...

Here are some pics of them installed in case anyone else is wondering the same thing:

Attachments

·
Registered
821 Posts
How does it ride now with the kit installed? Any difference?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
None that I noticed, but I have not had a passenger on yet since I installed them. I'm sure we'll get out today and I'll post if I notice any adverse effects.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'll be damned. I was told these would not work with the long skirted AW shocks and surely enough they do. I bought DX shocks to avoid this for no reason :(

Edit: but as for feedback I love the height and way it rides now... Just wish I could go lower but I have to be careful now as it is!

·
Registered
234 Posts
So it does look like the shock is just about touching the fender now. Has it made any contact yet, or is there enough clearance to run these without issue?

I had asked about these in an older thread a few months back and heard that there's some cutting/grinding involved in getting them installed. Can you confirm? ...or were you able to just bold them on and go?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No rubbing at all. I rode it about 30 miles solo and about 10 miles with my wife, and have not noticed any issues at all. The only thing I had to do was use an extra washer on the belt side since the bolt that came with the kit did touch the sprocket. Other than that, it was just bolt and go.

Nothing against the kit, but they are just temporary - I intend on replacing the shocks eventually.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stock shocks or after markets?

Will this lowering kit work only with the stock shocks or do you have something aftermarket? And if you intend on replacing these with aftermarket shocks eventually does that mean you'll have to get rid of the lowering kit to accommodate?

Sorry, if that was confusing...I just bought a 2003 VRSCA and have to adjust it to my 5'6" height so I'm trying to figure out the best way to go.

·
Premium Member
11,329 Posts
Will this lowering kit work only with the stock shocks or do you have something aftermarket? And if you intend on replacing these with aftermarket shocks eventually does that mean you'll have to get rid of the lowering kit to accommodate?

Sorry, if that was confusing...I just bought a 2003 VRSCA and have to adjust it to my 5'6" height so I'm trying to figure out the best way to go.
The work just fine on a 2003. I had them installed on mine for quite a while. No bottoming, scraping or performance issues at all. They just look a little funny.

·
Nate
17 Posts
Dont go with the 1 3/4" drop, unless you want to constantly check for clearance while pulling into parking lots or going over any speed bumps. I got it good a couple times!

·
Dragon
92 Posts
I'll be damned. I was told these would not work with the long skirted AW shocks and surely enough they do. I bought DX shocks to avoid this for no reason :(

Edit: but as for feedback I love the height and way it rides now... Just wish I could go lower but I have to be careful now as it is!
i have them also. seems like my 02' with a 200 tire gets dangerously close to rubbing on the bagger brackets - so i ground them off. i was also grinding them off because i took of the DA and fabbed a new plate holder and you could see the bagger bracket mounts. a$$ looks better now and the 1 inch dropped helped dropped the fender onto the tire. locktite them things!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts