Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey drag racig dudes,is there a general consesus or go with the flow feelig ,on launching as far as feet placement go for srteet bikes,when i first got my learner bike i used to just take off with one foot on the groud ,but with the vrod i always keep both feet down and swing em up together on take off , is there a right or wrong way for this part of hard take off, or maybe just taking off in general

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
2 feet for racing. Gives you stability and balance.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
i use 2 feet, but blackcat did it with one foot. ncvrodracer done it with one foot.
i keep my landing gear down til right before i had to shift, i had a D with mids, if you got forwards you have to bring your foot up further and fighting forward motion to put foot up to shift.
i guess it depends on how comfortable you are with which ever way you do it imho.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
another echo, both feet . i have seen people that raced street bikes with the right foot on the ground to hold the bike and the left on the peg getting ready for the shift but i think it makes it harder to leave straight..on lowered drag bikes with the foot pegs close to the ground i have seen lots of people keep there feet on the pegs with there toes rotated down to just touch the ground and then pull them up after releasing the clutch.. terry kizer on a big tire funny bike didn`t put his feet down at all on some runs, i have seen him pick his feet up and put them on the pegs when he started his burnout and mo would push him back to the starting line and he never put his feet down, would stage balanced on that big goodyear with his feet on the pegs and leave like that..

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
hey drag racig dudes,is there a general consesus or go with the flow feelig ,on launching as far as feet placement go for srteet bikes,when i first got my learner bike i used to just take off with one foot on the groud ,but with the vrod i always keep both feet down and swing em up together on take off , is there a right or wrong way for this part of hard take off, or maybe just taking off in general

Have you ever seen the cartoon The Flintstones....:D

:hidesbeh:

I do both...

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
It's personal preference.. I did it with one foot till I got the electric shifter... I never had a problem... Just how I learned on sportbikes... So do what your comfortable with....

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
I see Douglas Horne do it with one foot on both his P/F and T/F bikes but definitely not on his PSM.

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok ,thanks guys will stick with both,but on the aw ,it has foward controls and it is a bit of a gut strain when taking off hard..lol.

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
In my little and insignificant experience I noticed that launching with the left foot on the peg and the right one on the ground, when the traction is not good and the tire spins, the back of the bike tends to swing to the left since it's inclined to te right already. It's like launching on the wet street in a light stop... So I decided to do both feet on the ground... My 2 cents...

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
In my little and insignificant experience I noticed that launching with the left foot on the peg and the right one on the ground, when the traction is not good and the tire spins, the back of the bike tends to swing to the left since it's inclined to te right already. It's like launching on the wet street in a light stop... So I decided to do both feet on the ground... My 2 cents...
that is what i was getting at..still i have seen quite a few people leave with one foot down and do it well ..still my 2 cents is the same as yours..

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
that is what i was getting at..still i have seen quite a few people leave with one foot down and do it well ..still my 2 cents is the same as yours..
Indeed, I guess it's also a matter of practice and deciding which one is more comfortable, as well as which kind of bike/power you have, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have tried both and find that both feet is the best for balance for me at least, I have no auto shift though.

I find the forward controls a bit of a problem when taking off. Most times I have already hit the rev limiter by the time I get to swing both feet up there so may need to look at a mid control or rear peg setup.

When I have used one foot down I tend to have a bad habit of leaving the right leg hanging out the back flying in the breeze, i'm sure this does not help any.

·
Thread Killer
4,567 Posts
I started with both off the pegs, but switched to the left on the pegs and had my best runs that way. It is a little different for me though as my R is mid controls so it is easier to get the feet back on.

·
Registered
361 Posts
because the rev limiter comes up quick,i keep the left foot on the peg wth slight upward pressure ready to shift.clutch management is also important.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts