Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out to the local drag strip last night. I didn't take the bike with me so as to be sure not to embarrass myself. I have a couple of questions to ask though;

1. Does a wide tire application improve or deminish your speed?
2. How does a Vrod compare with the crotch rockets? What cc bike can
a v-rod do well against?
3. What kind of speed and time can I expect to see from a stock with SE 16
pipes / airfilter?

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
Roll of thumb on tire preesure - if you ruduce the pressure traction and 60' time will improve and top speed will be reduced - I am not sure of all of the consequences of wider tire - if it is heavier that would slow you down - also the dunlop 207 are very sticky Z rated sport tires while I think that most of the wide tires are street compounds and I would guess that they would provide less traction - also the they often require offset pulleys so I would be concerned if they would introduce handling issues with high performance applications - although I believe that Kaz has been running a wide tire setup although with a chain and slick - but those are the issues that have kept me from considering them.
In geeneral the crotch rockets are faster - not as bad in the eigth - you might be able to run with a 600 class in that distance - they will pull away in the quarter - of course that also depends on rider, weight and setup. Depending upon how much you weigh and assuming that you have a 28 tooth sprocket I would say you could turn 7.5 second ET @ 94MPH. Most of the larger croth rockets will be running 7.0 or less @ 100MPH or so. Assuming that you are bracket racing - where you dial in your time the VRod is incrediably consistant in the eigth mile - I frequently can hit within .01 second on consecutive runs - which makes the bike deadly in competition - Rice rockets sometimes have more difficulty in launching as precisely - a twenty eight tooth sprocket is essential for consistant times as the severity of the bogging on the 30 tooth will seriously mess up your consistancy.
Kevin

1 - 2 of 2 Posts