Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike just developed an intermittent problem.
Like the bike is just turned off, but the lights and everything stays on.
Fuel pump? Computer?
Can anyone help?
I will have to take it to the dealer, it is still under factory warranty, but this dealer is not very good with this kind of intermittent problems.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sounds like a wire making contact every so often. Check by the ignition and see if there is something there making contact. Only thing I can think of. I had a car that would do that and it turned out be a wire that was loose enough to bounce over and make contact and then the car didn't need a key.

·
06 Night Rod
385 Posts
The first thing to check would be the battery terminals and the ground on the front of the motor. These can get loose and cause lots of weird problems.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Bike just developed an intermittent problem.
Like the bike is just turned off, but the lights and everything stays on.
Fuel pump? Computer?
Can anyone help?
I will have to take it to the dealer, it is still under factory warranty, but this dealer is not very good with this kind of intermittent problems.

Thanks,
Dave

You'd better find a dealer with a mechanic that knows how to work on late model motorcycles,or start looking at stuff yourself.
Are there any codes? Look here.http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3
Check the wiring,especially the battery cable connections.Check the relays and fuses for proper installation.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bike has been at the dealer for 10 days now, and they don't know what is wrong with it.
Yesterday the service manager told he was going to call a Harley rep for help?
At least the bike is doing what I told them it was doing, as they have test rode it numerous times, and the bike does if fact die on them also.

Thanks,
Dave

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Bike has been at the dealer for 10 days now, and they don't know what is wrong with it.
Yesterday the service manager told he was going to call a Harley rep for help?
At least the bike is doing what I told them it was doing, as they have test rode it numerous times, and the bike does if fact die on them also.

Thanks,
Dave
Calling Harley aint gonna accomplish anything but to keep you from bothering the people in the service dept.
Either get the bike back and fix it yourself,or find a dealer with a competent mechanic that understands how they work,which system is causing the problem and then how to diagnose the problem for a repair.
If the engine quits running as often as you say,the problem should be able to be seen on the scanner while monitoring live data,but I'm telling you the dealer that has your motorcycle does not employ competent mechanics or they would have found the problem and fixed it by now.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealer still doesn't know what is wrong, they are going to ride it with a portable scanner.
It's still under warranty, and one know of a good dealer that knows what they are doing around the LA/SFV area?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Did the dealer change the grips recently? Sounds like a wire to the right hand control got pinched, if you ask me. They probably ran the "almighty-mechanic-on-a-wire" check on the ECM and found no codes. So now they don't know what the **** to look for.

If the lights stay on, then the problem isn't the ignition, grounds or battery (but worth checking anyway). If the bike is just intermittently cutting out, without tripping any codes, then I would put my money on the wiring to the right hand control. Those wires need to be inspected, and tracked from the right hand control to the connector under the left side cover.

As if this is rocket surgery.........

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did the dealer change the grips recently? Sounds like a wire to the right hand control got pinched, if you ask me.

I would put my money on the wiring to the right hand control. Those wires need to be inspected, and tracked from the right hand control to the connector under the left side cover.

As if this is rocket surgery.........
I talked to the dealer at length about this, as I thought that this is exactly like it was doing, shutting off the ignition.
They say it is okay, going to ride it again 10 miles tomorrow.
They are nothing but parts changers!
Will keep you posted.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Early model ecms 02 and 03 would shut down the engine (randomly also) I experienced this until I installed a race tuner and had the factory stage 1 download removed. No more problems since. But as far as late models I have no clue. On my trip to Houston my bike shut down all the time at speed ... turned out to be a bad ground at the battery... took me 6 stops before I found it. I had to file the ground cable that attached to the battery then all was well.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
drb930: which dealer is this at? either PM lux for his independent HD warranty authorized shop's info and take your bike there, take it to Glendale HD, or tear into it yourself.

You never confirme whether or not you and or the dealer had changed out the grips prior to your cut out issues.

·
Registered
294 Posts
same problem

i know this sounds weird but im having the same problem
i have an 09 vrscf and when u first turn the ignition over the fuel pump wont kick on and u cant start the bike all the other light and stuff work.
this only happens every now and then

it also cut out on me a couple times while going down the road.

i have checked the ground on batt-to the fr cylinder where is the other grounds?

i checked the relays, starter solenoid this doesnt happen every time but i know when it is going to do it when i turn the ignition switch over and dont hear the fuel pump kick in

please help

·
Registered
294 Posts
thats crazy it sounds about the same on both bikes!

i checked groung on front cylinder-ground at bottom of bike left side by motor-cleaned all connections in the fuse box with cleaner and dialectic grease- checked solenoid and switched out relays

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
have either of you verified your battery's condition? Check and confirm battery voltage stagnant and while bike is running. These bikes don't like low voltage conditions and will do some crazy stuff when that condition exists.
I believe there are 4 grounding points, and don't remember the other two locations off the top of my head.

·
Registered
294 Posts
my batt was 12.something off and 13.65 i think running the 2 grounds are all i have checked

tonite im going to ck in the right side handle bar housing cause i had it off a while ago but it was acting up before that.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Error codes- there were a couple on there so i cleared them cause i didnt know if they were historic or current. so i am going to ride it tonite to the dealership and get a couple of relays and i will keep my eye out for any new err codes.
it was showing the engine light and the battery light

i had like 4 other things grounded to the negative terminal on the battery so i moved all them off last nite to another ground.

After that i took bike for about a 10 minute ride and theire was no err codes but i am riding to the dealership tonite and will be monitoring it

·
Registered
294 Posts
I rode the bike tonite and i got no battery light or engine light, it did however have problems starting twice the same problem i will ck more tomorrow

1 - 20 of 35 Posts