Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would share my experience.... for those of you who search this a few years from now...... hows the future?

Anyway.. the other day I tightened the bolt on the left side mirror (underneath) holding stem on, I then sat on bike and attempted to adjust stem so that it was a bit closer to me...

It snapped right at the base of the stem! it would have fallen off had it not been for the wires going thru hollow (weak) bolt for blinker.

I had to cut wire, because I never would have been able to remove remaining bolt (without damaging wire) which was not even sticking out of stem... and wanted to ride

As a temp fix I tapped stem and bolted it back on so I could at least ride that day.

Went to harley ... parts guy pulled up diagram.. says here is what you need its 65.00
I said are you sure? That looks like just the mirror, I dont need that.. just the stem.
He says, its all one part... (looking at me like I was a dumb ass) trust me Ive been here for a long time kid.

So I paid and got in truck to go home but had a bad feeling, so I pulled out my laptop and googled info to find that my part is sold/listed as blinker and has nothing to do with the mirror assembly section as far as buying new parts go... Went back inside and lets just say it wasnt a good scene.

I cant stand people like that.... if I did shit like that at my job I would be gone in a minute... like my time is worthless!

·
Premium Member
10,800 Posts
Look in MWT Thread. Somebody asked the tech at the harley dealer where we were doing dyno runs a question, and he says "ask the forum guys - they know more than I do!" Just remain calm, and polite, and confident. I just point, quote the part number I want, and they tell me they have to order it. Like every time! Joe

·
Dare to Dream
497 Posts
For anyone who in the future who has a busted mirror stem hollow bolt on a VRSCF, you dont have to buy the whole stem with the signal, its around $110, and that sucks. Go to a dealer that sells metric cruisers, Yamaha, Suzuki etc. Kuryakan sells a part called a metric fender signal bolt adaptor or something like that, anyway its part number 2289 in Kuryakan. This part is a hollow bolt/stud with metric (VRSCF mirror size threads) on one side of the nut, and SAE threads on the other side to adapt like a Harley type signal to a Metric cruiser and run your wires thru it since its hollow. Just buy this part, it comes with 2 for $12. Use your dremel tool with a fiber cutoff wheel and cut the SAE side off, and presto you have a better than new stud with the nut already on it to slip thru your mounts and into your old mirror stem, you have to use vice grips to get the Harley broken stud out first. I have used this to repair mine in the past. Im going to put up this as a post topic in VRSCF section for all to see for future reference. I broke mine and searched high and low for metric threaded rod that is hollow to repair my stem bolt to no avail, but these Kury parts will save you $98 bucks over buying a whole new stem.

·
Registered
569 Posts
dare to dream...

This all assumes someone is mechanical enough to pull this fix off. Otherwise you get someone trying to save a buck taking this fix off to the local mechanic who charges 50 bucks and hour and after it's said and done the value isn't as dramatic as 98 bucks! Alot of us people who's lives got sucked into the modding madness don't see $125 as that huge of a hit as it probably should be. In either case I am interested in seeing this fix and hopefully it may one day become a money saver instead of taker. As long as the fix appears un noticeable anyway.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
picked up blinker/mirror stem today. loosened bolts for horn/highbeams/blinker button cover top and bottom, loosened bolts holding clutch assembly, lifted button cover up, pulled old wire out of hole going up bottom button cover and thru bars out, pushed new wire thru bars etc which was attached to mirror, removed left side fake ass air dam vent, disconnected blinker connector and pulled little orange cover off, pushed old broken wire pins thru back side of connecter (small plastic latch inside must be lifted), connected new.

scale of 1 to 10, ten being hardest... Id say 3.... next time will be a 2

also installed a new set of edge cut grips, pegs and shifter peg.

Will post photos soon.

Thanks to all for input and previous posts which supported my research!

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
seems the F mirror stem breaking when tightening the nut is pretty damn common these days. Would it be wise to apply loctite and then just hand tighten the nut?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts