Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, bought an 09 Muscle brand new off the showroom floor (yeah, 09) and I just rolled over 400 miles. The only thing that I can't stand about the bike is the quiet cruiser sound. I've got to go louder.... a lot louder. I've scrolled through pages and pages of the exhaust section on here, but still can't find a whole lot of information. What pipes should I get, what should I stay away from. I like the look of some of the Toxic pipes, but just not sure if I want to go with them with all the bad reviews (not to mention that every picture on the toxicinc site is the same, even though they are for different pipes... not to reassuring). Kindof dig the V&H competition series since it is sortof a replica of the destroyer's exhaust, but at 800 bucks (not including the new filter and a power commander) I want to be damn sure before I buy it. Anyone got anything they feel I should know before I spend the money? I am open to all suggestions/advice, especially if you also have an 09 Muscle.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Dont have the Muscle but I do have an 09 DX. Went through 5 exhausts before I found the one I was looking for. It was a very expensive process trying to find just the right look and sound. First was stock, yeah, we all know how pitiful that sounds. Second was the Rinehart 2/1, the look was ok but way too loud for my taste. Third was the Supertrapp slip-ons, liked the sound, hated the look. Fourth was the Bub7 2/1, nice look, still too loud. Finally found a set of SE slip-ons for the AW and bought all related parts to assemble. Then had it ceramic coated black. Great look and a great sound. Running a PCV for fuel.

I might suggest finding a few friends with Rods and listening to all the different sounds they make. Then buy the one you like most.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Alright, bought an 09 Muscle brand new off the showroom floor (yeah, 09) and I just rolled over 400 miles. The only thing that I can't stand about the bike is the quiet cruiser sound. I've got to go louder.... a lot louder. I've scrolled through pages and pages of the exhaust section on here, but still can't find a whole lot of information. What pipes should I get, what should I stay away from. I like the look of some of the Toxic pipes, but just not sure if I want to go with them with all the bad reviews (not to mention that every picture on the toxicinc site is the same, even though they are for different pipes... not to reassuring). Kindof dig the V&H competition series since it is sortof a replica of the destroyer's exhaust, but at 800 bucks (not including the new filter and a power commander) I want to be damn sure before I buy it. Anyone got anything they feel I should know before I spend the money? I am open to all suggestions/advice, especially if you also have an 09 Muscle.
Welcome to 1130cc....I have the Muscle and Tabs and I love 'em. Take a look at the VRSCF forum lots more info there. Us "F" guys tend to have a little different animal then everyone else.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Welcome to 1130cc....I have the Muscle and Tabs and I love 'em. Take a look at the VRSCF forum lots more info there. Us "F" guys tend to have a little different animal then everyone else.
:them:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. After looking through a ton of bikes, I think I am dead set on going with a shorty style, single side exhaust. There are quite a few that I have seen and liked, so I guess I am going to just have to continue researching and hoping more people answer this thread.

·
Registered
818 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had an idea today. I am pretty sure that someone has at least tried this, but I couldn't find anything about it. Can you just take the mufflers off? I know you would lose back-pressure and all, but would it be enough to start burning up valves? I ran open headers on my 72 Honda 750Four forever and never had any problems, so I'm thinking that might be worth a shot on this one. I know it would sound good, just don't want to break the thing already considering I've only had it for 4 days

·
Registered
818 Posts
I had an idea today. I am pretty sure that someone has at least tried this, but I couldn't find anything about it. Can you just take the mufflers off? I know you would lose back-pressure and all, but would it be enough to start burning up valves? I ran open headers on my 72 Honda 750Four forever and never had any problems, so I'm thinking that might be worth a shot on this one. I know it would sound good, just don't want to break the thing already considering I've only had it for 4 days
Well everyone says they lose power big time......I thought about doing it with a power cone installed, which would provide some back pressure, but never have. I just love ridin' my bike.

Agree about dragging the magnesium strip, but I bet the LEO's would not like it at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just bought an 09 muscle. I am getting alot of different information about pipes. Live in daytona so there are alot of bike shops here. Do i really need a fuel manager, or can i just put on slip ons?

·
Registered
14 Posts
You can just run the pipe. The bike will run a bit leaner, but dispite what everyone will said the bike will not blow. By running a fuel manager your bike will run smoother, cooler and sqeeze out all the power gains avalible from the pipe (with proper mapping) but yes your bike will probably be fine. I would suggest running your oem airfilter in its stock configuration to keep things as stock as possible so your efi can keep up with the changes. From what I've been told by various dealers, including TAB and Fuel Moto, you bike can compensate for up to 20%of any changes made and a pipe, especially a slip on, doesn't account for any where near a 20% change.

If money is a concern, run just the pipe for a while and if you think it runs fine leave it alone. If you don't like the way it runs then get a fuel manager. If money is not a concern then just buy the fuel manager, aside from performance gains the peace of mind would be worth the cost.

Good luck. And Tab slipons get my vote.

·
Registered
7 Posts
thanx for your advice, i decided to go with a fuel pack from V&h with a high flow air filter.
My gas mileage has kinda sucked and it seems to be running a little hot. ill let ya know after i get it and install it. should be here on 10-19-10 got it from dennis kirk, they have fantastic price.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also have an 09 muscle, I put on the V&H slip ons, with a V&H fuel pack,and high flow air filter. These pipes sound awesome,with a deep rumble,and really crack wen you get on it. The fuel pack reallt woke it up when i installed it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts