Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have put a set of Tab mufflers on my 09 Muscle. Now that I have the sound I want, I need to get a tuner. I already have the amsoil air filter, and plan on installing once i get a tuner.

As far as a tuner, price and simplicity are my biggest concerns. I dont want to have to spend time on the dino getting the perfect map, but I want to make sure the bike runs right without any hicups.

I have been told that I should go either Power Commander 5, Race Tuner, or some type of DFO box.

What are your guys' opinions on tuners. I need something simple and inexpensive, but I dont want to sacrifice on performance.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
PCV w/auto tune or Thundermax w/auto tune won't require any dyno time

·
Registered
569 Posts
Harley Makes a tuner

The SEPST has maps that come with the software with that build included. In fact this late in the game that is one of the most common build there are several maps available for you and its a dyno, i'm Dino!

You should look online or get your tuner from Lakeshor HD online they seem to have the best deals. Also the HD tuner won't void any warranties. (like that matters).

·
Registered
8 Posts
don't mess around... just spend the money and buy the screamin eagle tuner and you'll 110 times happier in the long run. i bought a TAB tuner when i bought my pipes and just got the screamin eagle tuner and had it dyno'd right in. couldn't be any happier. plus i gain 8 more hp by putting the screamin eagle tuner in compared to the TAB tuner.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Hartsock: and since you're in one of the flattest states in the Union, and the only state without a natural lake, auto-tune would be overkill as you won't experience any drastic climate or altitude changes. Browse the EFI section of this forum, ask lots of questions, and you'll be in good shape. You will still need a dyno if you don't go auto tune, but you will be happy with the results.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you all for the advice. I have another question though. I know someone that has a race tuner installed and has a map that was dyno'd in for the tabs, & amsoil air cleaner topless. I rode his bike, and it rocks. He is now selling his bike, and converting back to stock, except that he can not take off the race tuner.

Is there any way that i could take his ecu (whatever its called) and swap it for my stock one? That way i can use his race tuner since it is mated to his ecu, and save about 250 bucks from buying a new one and putting it on my bike.

I talked to the guy and he is willing to do this so he can lower his price on the v-rod to unload it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
thank you all for the advice. I have another question though. I know someone that has a race tuner installed and has a map that was dyno'd in for the tabs, & amsoil air cleaner topless. I rode his bike, and it rocks. He is now selling his bike, and converting back to stock, except that he can not take off the race tuner.

Is there any way that i could take his ecu (whatever its called) and swap it for my stock one? That way i can use his race tuner since it is mated to his ecu, and save about 250 bucks from buying a new one and putting it on my bike.

I talked to the guy and he is willing to do this so he can lower his price on the v-rod to unload it.
You can take his map and download it onto your new tuner then hook it up to the bike and voila you have the same map as he did.

·
** Place ad here **
1,460 Posts

That should work like a charm :thumb:

·
Cajun-VRSCF
263 Posts
That was my thinking!!

don't mess around... just spend the money and buy the screamin eagle tuner and you'll 110 times happier in the long run. i bought a TAB tuner when i bought my pipes and just got the screamin eagle tuner and had it dyno'd right in. couldn't be any happier. plus i gain 8 more hp by putting the screamin eagle tuner in compared to the TAB tuner.
That was my thinking till I purchased the Daytona Twintech VRFI w/ the wide band O2 sensors. I will have my bike dynoed again but the VRFI is much more responsive, adds fuel based on throttle position rather than MAP sensor readings. Not sure about the top end yet but with the future upgrades I want to add, this was the first step and no more expensive dyno tuning trips. I like the fact that the a/f ratio you ask for is what you get and the bike auto tunes for the different VE variables you may encounter. I know from previous tunning that my bike likes 13.8 to 1 so that is where I started. Top end is crazy.

·
Cajun-VRSCF
263 Posts
VIN number

That would work but the VIN number in the ecm would be his vin number so if you had to get any warranty work done, I do not know what HD would say. Same on the bike he is selling.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I got mine through ebay for $285 do an ebay search by just the part number 32109-08B. There is a guy right now with a buy it now for 265.99 Click Here Free shipping.....

·
ELMO
74 Posts
I deffinately like my PCV, and when I added the auto tunners it made a very noticable difference. The bike runs so strong now. Never knew what I was missing...

Sam

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2009 muscle and want to add a electric cutout on the H pipe and direct it under the bike. The idea is to have a nice quite bike when riding two up and with a push of a button go to drag pipe.... I looked at the vision but its kinda bg and awkwward looking. It would be nice to find a system that I can have two tunes made, one for best economy " quiet" and the other when I want to let the beast out...of coarse I would want to go topless and some other mods to get more power out of it. Lookin for ideas and info...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts